Leaking Drain Kitchen sink

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I noticed that the carpet under the dining room table was damp. then my DW saw water on the floor, it was tracked to the bottom of the cabinet under the sinks. checked the water lines they were dry so I filled the big sink and let er go, the water came from the connection.. I teflon taped the threads and snugged the collar, still dripping. Removed it and checked the rubber washer, looked good so I put it all back together, it is now down to a drip when we let water out of the sink. Don't know anything about this type of plumbing.

Gary521

Do not know exactly where you are leaking but a few suggestions. If you are leaking from the strainer on the sink, take off the strainer and put plumbers putty around and under the sink strainer flange. Screw fittings in the drain pipe do not need Teflon. There is generally a round plastic or rubber washer that provides the seal. The screw fittings on the drain pipes do not need to be over tightened just snugged up tight.

wdk450

My thought on the sink drain connection is that plumber's putty does not hold a good seal under the continuous earthquake that is RV down the road travel. I used RVers Goop elastomeric adhesive rubber compound on my sink drain connections 9 years ago when I got my Bighorn, I have travelled a lot, and no more sink drain leaks.

Chainsaw

Thanks for the tips.
Do not have access to an RV dealership for about 2 weeks. I have put shamwow under there and change each time my DW does dishes.

wdk450

Thanks for the tips.
Do not have access to an RV dealership for about 2 weeks. I have put shamwow under there and change each time my DW does dishes.

If it is the sink drain seal, this is pretty basic general plumbing. You shouldn't need a dealer for this. There are probably You Tube videos on this. If the getting down under the sink to do the repair is a physical problem for you, one of your current RVing neighbors, a relative, friend, or a Saskatchewan Heartland member should be able to meet up with you and help you out.

Chainsaw

The youtube videos deal with leaking stoppers and strainers. Ours leaks in the pipes. Brand new trailer. I have removed the pipes and cleaned all connections as well as those plastic washers etc.

When I fill the sink and drain it, there is a very minor drip but in the morning there is a soaked shamwow under the sink.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If there is a soaked Shamwow after sitting overnight I suggest that you remove the P-trap and inspect if for any defects such as a crack that would allow water of slowly leak overnight.
If needed replacements are inexpensive.

Peace
Dave

GregP

I agree with Dave. If the gaskets or seals are in place and not damaged, there may be a crack in the fitting itself. This can happen with over tightening sometimes. Shouldn't need to use tools for tightening. Hand tight plus a bit is enough.

Bones

I'm not sure if your sink is plastic but I found this crack in my sink which would leak very similar to yours. It took awhile to find this crack as it blended in with the sink.

IMG_20150915_204552.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks Bill, I need a dealer so I could get the right stuff

You can buy all replacement items at a hardware or big box store.
If it’s leaking around the strainer remove it and and add a thin layer of plumbers putty to the underside, replace, then tighten with existing hardware
Metal sinks are notorious for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainsaw

I'm not sure if your sink is plastic but I found this crack in my sink which would leak very similar to yours. It took awhile to find this crack as it blended in with the sink.

View attachment 58047

Thank you. Our sink is metal.

- - - Updated - - -

You can buy all replacement items at a hardware or big box store.
If it’s leaking around the strainer remove it and and add a thin layer of plumbers putty to the underside, replace, then tighten with existing hardware
Metal sinks are notorious for this

I have tried everything else, I will not remove the strainer and use some putty. I think there might be a chance that the strainer is leaking then following along the pipe

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thank you. Our sink is metal.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried everything else, I will not remove the strainer and use some putty. I think there might be a chance that the strainer is leaking then following along the pipe

I’d probably replace the trap too. It could be cracked from the get-go or from over tightening. Again, available locally.

Bones

I’d probably replace the trap too. It could be cracked from the get-go or from over tightening. Again, available locally.

^^^^Agreed. Replace the whole assembly just to be sure. Not very expensive to do

Chainsaw

After reading every thing, I removed the pipes then then tried the lock nut that holds the drain in. It tightened lost a full turn. I replaced everything and made sure the flanges and washers were clean and placed.
Ran 2 sinks of water and not a drip.

Washed dishes tonight and not a drip. I am cautiously optimistic.
thank you every one!!