Leaving Hawaii

gasman

Camp Socializer
Edythe here, not Mike. We have a 2010 Big Country 2950RK that we love. It measures about 34 feet and has two slides. I don't back it into spaces (have backed our boat if I have to) but do pull it quite often, even into a gas station Once I have pulled our tent trailer, a 24 foot travel trailer and a 5er. I will take the fifth wheel any day. Mike always plans our trips and I know there are web sites that you can use to find filling stations. We always try to use truck stops or somewhere that has an RV island because its easier. We also try to fuel before we hitch up. We usually pull between 60 and 65 mph and find that's the safest. If people are in a hurry they are welcome to pull around.

About the hitching part. We pull with a 2011 F350 diesel and have experienced the drop on the bed (luckily in the old truck not the new). We have a Reese hitch that of the 3 hitches we have had is the easiest to use. We also have a Blue Ox bed saver (I think that's what it is called). Best $250 we have ever spent. Takes away the worry of dropping it on your bed because it catches the pin and stops it from dropping onto the bed rails.

Good luck in your decision and realize that taking a financial hit and getting something you feel comfortable using is better than having all that money just sitting there getting dusty.

traveler44

My wife and I both tow the Bighorn. One thing we do a lot is fill up with fuel in the evening after we stop and unhook the fifth wheel. That saves us about half of our stops where we are looking for a diesel pump that we can get to. We ask for pull through sites if we can get them at the campgrounds. I have found out that the total length of the fifth wheel and truck are about the same as when we had a pull trailer because the fifth wheel sits half way into the bed of the truck where the pull trailer had the length of the hitch behind the truck. If you go back to the pull trailer please make sure you tow with a good type of hitch. The Pullrite hitch that we had took all of the sway out of the towing and made a huge difference when we had to change lanes where the pavement was uneven. We have a Bed Saver on our signature series Reese hitch also for the fifth wheel.

Rrloren

I have found out that the total length of the fifth wheel and truck are about the same as when we had a pull trailer because the fifth wheel sits half way into the bed of the truck where the pull trailer had the length of the hitch behind the truck.

I had someone tell me many years ago that to pull a 5th wheel is " to pull long, short" since 3 feet or more are in the bed of the truck. I find that to be true.