Legend brand TV - Mysterious power on issue

Bones

We have had our TV power on a couple times late at night after we are long asleep for no reason. I get up turn it off and it stays off until we turn it on again. This is really weird. At first I thought it was the remote so I shoved it in a drawer and it still came on. The shades are drawn at night so I don't think it is from outside and it only affects our main TV, the 50 inch above the kitchen cabinets. Has any one had this happen with their TV?

Rollin_Free

Re: Legend Mysterious power on issue

No but are you in a camp ground? With all the electronics we now enjoy it's possible someone else has a duplicate remote for their TV but with it being late at night this may not be the cause.

The other possibility is the TV has an issue with the main board or the remote sensor signal connected to the main board (the only one) in the TV. The only way to know if it's the sensor or the TV main bard is disconnect the sensor inside the TV and see if it occurs again. Unfortunately it will disable the remote feature and honestly I'm pretty sure it's gonna be an issue with the main board of the TV.

Switching to a different TV is probably much easier fix and you can use the clapper to keep power away from the TV till you have to replace it. Remember that TVs have power to them all the time so a marginal part inside the TV that is failing could be the cause of your problem.

Bones

No but are you in a camp ground. With all the electronics we now enjoy it's possible someone else has a duplicate remote for their TV but with it being late at night this may not be the cause. The other possibility is the TV has an issue with the main board or the remote sensor signal connected to the main board (the only one) in the TV. The only way to know if it's the sensor or the TV main bard is disconnect the sensor inside the TV and see if it occurs again. Unfortunately it will disable the remote feature and honestly I'm pretty sure it's gonna be an issue with the main board of the TV.

Switching to a different TV is probably much easier fix and you can use the clapper to keep power away from the TV till you have to replace it. Remember that TVs have power to them all the time so a marginal part inside the TV that is failing could be the cause of your problem.
I think your right and good idea about the clapper but I'll look for a different device to turn the TV off and on though. With kids running around there is a high likely hood they will turn the TV off and on and off and on with their antics.

Rollin_Free

Yep I saw that TV show as well. I think it was Dennis the menace.

i just thought of another possibility. Our TV has a auto of at a prescribed time or length of time. If your TV is newer it's possible there's an alarm built it for a wake up. I haven't really seen one like this in stores but it's possible.

You might look through the setup menu to see if it possibly has this hidden feature. Good luck with the search and enjoy the summer.

Bones

Yep I saw that TV show as well. I think it was Dennis the menace.

I forgot to answer one question yes we are in the campground. If the main TV gets turned on then why doesn't the kids TV get turned on? They have the same TV and the same remote. That show was insane

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Unplug it when you go to bed!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rollin_Free

I forgot to answer one question yes we are in the campground. If the main TV gets turned on then why doesn't the kids TV get turned on? They have the same TV and the same remote. That show was insane

Remotes have different codes to help prevent interference like your experiencing. You could take your remote around the camp ground to see who it is but chances are they are within about 100 feet of your trailer.

Unplugging or the clapper is easiest fix.

Bones

Remotes have different codes to help prevent interference like your experiencing. You could take your remote around the camp ground to see who it is but chances are they are within about 100 feet of your trailer.

Unplugging or the clapper is easiest fix.
Yes. It is the cheapest fix. I only watch the tv in the mornings and at night sometimes and for that it works just fine. I'll figure out and easy way to turn off all power to it at night and when it eventually dies replace it. Thanks

Bones

I don't think I have ever made it through the whole movie yet.

bdb2047

Had same thing happening several years ago.Called tech line for TV they had me go into menu and reset to factory settings. Has not happened since.

Rollin_Free

I just searched iPad apps and they actually have one for TV remotes. HUM! Dennis may be out there somewhere. Just unplug it. He'll go away soon I think?

SNOKING

I just searched iPad apps and they actually have one for TV remotes. HUM! Dennis may be out there somewhere. Just unplug it. He'll go away soon I think?

IR needs line of sight, so I doubt it is another remote doing it. Now some modern TV's will turn on and switch inputs based on a HDMI port coming live.

To OP, do you have a Sat box and is it on also, or is this an OTA channel? I know that my DTV boxes power up when power is applied automagically. If you have DTV, try powering on the DTV box and see if it causes the TV to come on? Maybe you are having a power drop?? Do you have an electric alarm clock that is flashing also? They are good at detecting power drops.

Chris

danemayer

I unplug our bedroom TV when we're traveling. When I plug it back in, it turns on by itself. You might test your TV to see if when unplugged for a minute and replugged, it comes on. As suggested, you might be experiencing power drops.

I'm also wondering why it only happens at night.

Bones

IR needs line of sight, so I doubt it is another remote doing it. Now some modern TV's will turn on and switch inputs based on a HDMI port coming live.

To OP, do you have a Sat box and is it on also, or is this an OTA channel? I know that my DTV boxes power up when power is applied automagically. If you have DTV, try powering on the DTV box and see if it causes the TV to come on? Maybe you are having a power drop?? Do you have an electric alarm clock that is flashing also? They are good at detecting power drops.

Chris
I don't have anything that fancy. I just use the parks cable and OTA if no cable. I'll try resetting the TV and see what happens