Level Guard or Touch Sensor Ultrasonic tank monitors

WBG

WBGavin
I have given up on trying to get accurate Black and even Grey tank readings with internal sensors (Bighorn 3570RS). Has anyone tried the ultrasonic sensors that mount on the outside of the tank? Level Guard sells then using components manufactured by Touch Sensor. There are probably others as well. Amazon has a Sensa Tank RV 100 kit with sensors for three tanks plus the ability to monitor a fourth if you have an additional sensor, for about $175.

Thanks in advance

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Don't take this wrong...... but why do you need them. If your gray tank is full it will run up into your sink. Go out and open the Gate Valve. One problem is if you're showering water will come up in your shower and have your better half go pull the Gate Valve. With the black tank, when it bubbles up go dump.. If you wait longer it will bubble up and wet your arse !!!

New gauges will most likely get clogged up and then you have the same problem and your out the money and labor.

Just my 2¢ worth... FWIW

BC

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I agree with everyone here.
I dump tanks on a schedule decided after we’ve maxed them to capacity a couple of times.
For example, if we’re sitting still for a length of time the black tank is dumped and flushed every 7-8 days. If we’re road tripping I may go 10-12 days depending on availability of FHU or dump stations and my state of mind.
If we’re parked on a spot with no sewer I know we can stretch 8 plus days in the grey tanks with prudent use of water. Otherwise they’re emptied with the black tank flush.
Personally I see no need even for tank sensor installation. BTW-no washing machine on board for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
You want to hear something funny? Our Landmark is our third camper. Like others have said you just learn when tanks need to be dumped.

We had our Landmark for over a year when I thought to myself " Does this rig even have the sensors?". I had to go look for them because I had never paid any attention to them.

jayc

Legendary Member
Like the others, we never even look at the gauges. Every 7-9 days the black tank needs dumping and the gray is used to rinse the hose after flushing out the tank. We very seldom stay in a non-full hookup place and if we happen to, it is an overnight stop while traveling to another destination. We also now have a washer and dryer which we don't use when on the road. We simply hold the dirty clothes until we arrive and then wash them.

NYSUPstater

If brand spankin' new, the sensors may work for awhile. Otherwise, I'm on board w/ others and just kinda keep in back of my mind how much water has been used for each tank w/ the black tank being most important as it starts out w/ 10 gallons every trip (or after dumping and the water is added while the other tanks are dumping). Plus we use the adage that 1 flush for #1, 2 flushes for #2. For the most part we can go probly 4-6 days of a week long trip before dumping. If just a w/e trip, dumped regardless.

kowAlski631

Like the others, we never even look at the gauges. Every 7-9 days the black tank needs dumping and the gray is used to rinse the hose after flushing out the tank. We very seldom stay in a non-full hookup place and if we happen to, it is an overnight stop while traveling to another destination. We also now have a washer and dryer which we don't use when on the road. We simply hold the dirty clothes until we arrive and then wash them.

We just open the appropriate tank when we do wash no matter where. If we're in a place without full hookups, we also wait for washing clothes until we can.

WBG

WBGavin
Don't take this wrong...... but why do you need them. If your gray tank is full it will run up into your sink. Go out and open the Gate Valve. One problem is if you're showering water will come up in your shower and have your better half go pull the Gate Valve. With the black tank, when it bubbles up go dump.. If you wait longer it will bubble up and wet your arse !!!

New gauges will most likely get clogged up and then you have the same problem and your out the money and labor.

Just my 2¢ worth... FWIW

BC

The point of the ultrasonic sensors is that they are mounted on the exterior of the tank, therefore they should never get clogged up like the internal ones do. The question is whether or not they really work.

Waiting until you HAVE to dump is not the best option, but it is an option.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With experience, you learn about how often the black tank needs to be emptied. Normally, when it does, so do the gray tanks. The sound made when you flush the toilet (before it burps) will also alert you that the black tank is nearing full.

When in doubt and it’s been a few days, dump before going to bed or you may be standing in the dark, in the rain, doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
I gave up a long time ago with the sensors. Although I still look at the monitor on occasion for amusement.

Tank level monitor Christmas Tree

And apparently from my post above, only 3 months or so after getting the trailer.

I, like others have learned the nuances for our trailer. Sound for the toilet, bathroom or galley sink draining slowly.

If any doubt with the front gray tank when we use the washing machine, I pull the valve and leave it open.