Level Up and Landing Gear operation w/o power

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Just got done prepping our Key Largo for winter storage. I ran into an issue that I was not sure is a problem or normal so I am looking for input from my fellow owners. I normally remove batteries as part of my winter prep. This year I removed them while slides were out and 6pt Level up was employed. I was thinking that I would operate the slides from shore power and if not the batteries from my TV via 12volt umbilical cord. Well to my surprise the slides would not retract and the level up would not work on shore power or thru 12volt umbilical cord to TV. I had to temporarily hook up a battery to retract all prior to storage location. Is this NORMAL or NOT? Once at location again I had to do a temporary hookup to lower landing gear to d/c from TV. By the way I tried operation with battery switch on or off neither position made a difference.

MTPockets

Since this is a 12v system, the batteries have to be installed to work. When you are on shore power, the batteries will charge when needed, but is still operating on 12v.

murry135

OK, I now have a better idea of the system. But should it work off the TV when coach is plugged into 7pt connector?

danemayer

You'll want to take a look at the 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. The 12V electrical is divided into two parts: low-current devices like lights that are powered through the fuse box, and high-current devices like the hydraulics pump that are powered through 12V circuit breakers. The fuses are typically 10, 15, 20 amp. The circuit breakers are typically 30, 40, 50 amp.

The two parts of the 12V system are connected by a 12V circuit breaker that usually has a manual reset. When plugged into shore power, the output of the power converter feeds 12V to both the fuse box and through the 12V circuit breaker to charge the battery and help operate the high current devices.

If that breaker has tripped, shore power won't get through to the high current devices like the hydraulics pump. So with the battery removed, nothing on that side of the 12V will operate.

Even if not tripped, the power converter may struggle to supply enough amps to operate the hydraulics. Same for power coming from the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle is probably fused with a 40 amp circuit, but likely won't deliver that much current. It's possible that trying to run the hydraulics pump with battery removed might have tripped the 12V circuit breaker.

Hope this clears things up.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 28

murry135

It's getting clearer now. Are these breakers reset type? Where as they reset after a few seconds is what I am trying to say.

danemayer

Most of them are auto-reset. The one in question is usually (but not always) a manual reset. As pictured, there's a teeny-tiny reset button on the bottom edge. It can be difficult to see, especially for those of us with old eyes. It may be easier to feel for it.

The 12V circuit breakers are mounted to a buss bar located near the battery. Look at the wires attached to top of the breakers. There'll be a large wire on the breaker in question, and another large wire on the breaker supplying power to the hydraulics pump.

porthole

Retired
Jim, did the LevelUP display turn on?

Does your pump even come on when you hit the switch?
No pump, you have no power going through the system.
Pump makes noise but not enough power to run the hydraulics, is obviously a low voltage issue.

Did you have your truck running?
Best I can tell with our trucks is the 12 volt feed to through the trailer connector is about only good enough for keeping the trailer battery charged. Have you ever checked the truck's fuse for that feed? You may not even have a fuse from the factory.

I may have to experiment with this.
I don't take my batteries out but I can isolate them. Will try that amybe today. Cyclones also have 80 converters which may make a difference.

murry135

Hey Duane you got me thinking if the the TV was running. I got side tracked by people asking for help and other things so I was off track and lost my focus of what I was doing. Another reason why I need a set of noise deadening head phones, block out distractions and stay focused, LOL. Do you use Taptalk to view other forums, mainly a Ford Diesel forum and if so which one?

bdb2047

The tech that did PDI on ours told me that slides and jacks should not be operated without batteries connected. He said to much for converter alone. He said possible damage to pump or converter because of high amps and low voltage.

porthole

Retired
Do you use Taptalk to view other forums, mainly a Ford Diesel forum and if so which one?

Yes, sometimes. Depends on what I am using at the moment. For the most part the iPad is so good visually I just use the web browser on it. The iPhone 5 is also real good, but it gets a bit much to look at because of the screen size. So about 75/25 I use Tap-a-talk on the phone.

I follow 3 Ford 6.7 forums, but mostly spend my time on one, Ford Truck Enthusiast.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f148/

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ford-powerstroke-scorpion-6-7-2011-forums/