Level up jack leak

Capt7383

Leveled then noticed my six point level up jack leaking, it's the one next to the door on my 2014 big country.
ATF is all over the pad, checked hoses no leaks wiped it all off, still leaks, appears to be an internal seal and is leaking down the piston. I noticed that the jacks on this side appeared to be at max extension or close to it so I raised the jacks and put down more wood to lessen piston travel and releveled. Two days and not a drop of ATF keeping my fingers crossed

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You might want to drop your jack down a few bolt holes.
The jacks have 15" of travel if you measure the shaft from the bottom of the cylinder to the top of the pad when it's all the way down.
I have all of my jacks set at 10.5" from the ground it the bottom of the SnapPads.
That gives me 4.5" of lift after they hit the ground.

Also if you don't already have SnapPads you should get them. That will give you another 1.25" also.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

You might want to drop your jack down a few bolt holes.
The jacks have 15" of travel if you measure the shaft from the bottom of the cylinder to the top of the pad when it's all the way down.
I have all of my jacks set at 10.5" from the ground it the bottom of the SnapPads.
That gives me 4.5" of lift after they hit the ground.

What amount of torque did you use to tighten the bolts back on? I'm going to lower the middle jacks this Spring.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What amount of torque did you use to tighten the bolts back on? I'm going to lower the middle jacks this Spring.

I used my 1/2" Dewalt impact to remove all the bolts and then I used it to put them all back on again. When it quit turning they are torqued to my specs. :)

cordless-impact-wrench-18v-1-2-drive0.jpg

GregP

Sounds like it might be a leaking seal on the jack cylinder. I had one develop shortly after purchasing our BH in one of the rear jacks. I suspect that the jack had some sand or grit on it when retracted and this was drawn into the seal, causing a minor leak. It doesn't seem to leak a lot, but just enough to foul up the landing pad a little. I now wipe all of the cylinders down before retracting them, particularly when they have been on gravel or dirt sites. I keep an eye on fluid levels, but there is not any significant loss over time.

LBR

Sounds like it might be a leaking seal on the jack cylinder. I had one develop shortly after purchasing our BH in one of the rear jacks. I suspect that the jack had some sand or grit on it when retracted and this was drawn into the seal, causing a minor leak. It doesn't seem to leak a lot, but just enough to foul up the landing pad a little. I now wipe all of the cylinders down before retracting them, particularly when they have been on gravel or dirt sites. I keep an eye on fluid levels, but there is not any significant loss over time.
Good call IMO....I also clean the cylinder rams before retracting as they visually collect a bit of sand and dirt....Takes about 90 seconds to do the 6 of them....It only makes sense as any crud on the rams could compromise seals.

wdk450

If you have doubts about the hydraulic ram, you might support that side of the trailer on jackstands, remove the ram, and take it to a local hydraulic jack/ram servicing company. Usually this doesn't cost nearly as much as a new ram.

Bobby A

So should we just wipe them down with a wet paper towel or a regular towel ?? what about squirting them with WD40 ?? its very cheap and has a pretty good squirt pressure that might remove any dirt or sand ?? Just a thought ??

pegmikef

You should be spraying them with silicone spray often.

520f43fa67ea0682066d54187871562c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In fact the manual recommends every 7 days when down for extended periods. I'm not sure I actually do it that often, but I always silicone them before retracting them. If they are dirty (e.g., after a rain) I, of course, clean they before applying the silicone.