light over dinette dim

Bobby A

thought I seen a post several months back but couldn't find it doing a search. My question is the light over the dinette is a little dim for my wife while she is doing her crafting at night. I took the doam off for a minute and it does brighten things up. Was wondering what everyone else has done to improve the lighting over the dinette ?? Can you put a brighter 12V bulb?? do you get a different doam thats not so frosted ?? Thanks,

CrazyScotsman

That light is like that Bobby, gives a romantic mood while you and your DW are eating your microwave dinners. Put a rose on the table, a couple of flameless candles and your all set Bobby. Tonights your lucky night Bobby.... you don't have to wash the dishes. LOL

Bobby A

Ken, thanks for setting the stage, but I like to see what I'm eating (lol), I guess I'll be in search of a doam thats not frosted. I went to an auto parts store and they couldn't help me. Those 12V lights are only 17 watts, so I'm told. How is one to spot a hair in ones microwaved dinners on 17 watts !! (lol) O, times 2 whoppie !! I get a whopping 34 Watts of light over the dinner table. Besides, I'm trying to make the wife happy with more light. Tonight might me the night !! (lol.) Well, maybe not !!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bobby A. What trailer do you have? If there are cabinets over the dinette, you could add a 12V florescent light and pull the power from the halogen lights under the cabinet over the sofa.

wdk450

Finding a Clear "Doam"

Bobby:
Get measurements (or better yet take the dome along) and go to Home Depot, or a local lighting store. They usually have a lot of domes to choose from).
Many of the high intensity reading lamps (like Tensor) are 12 volt bulbs, but with a different base. You may be able to install a different 12 volt base into the lamp base frame. Also, you might be able to take an old lamp for your present socket, break away the glass bulb, solder wires inside to the center and outer contacts, and connect these wires to your new, higher intensity, lamp. Connect the adapter base you created to the socket, and you are in business.
Good Luck!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Or you could buy a floor (pole) lamp that plugs into 110. Then you will have all the light you need when on shore power.

Bobby A

Thank you all for you opinion's, suggestions and sometimes funny comments ( won't mention any names ) lol. Bill, I did take the dome to Lowes today to see about getting another one, but they do not have a very big selection. I will try home depot tomorrow.

Bobby A

Update,

Home Depot had a light kit with a clear dome for 12 bucks, I R&R'd the dome and put the old one back in the box. I will sell it at the next garage sale and get a few bucks back. The wife is happy now.

jbeletti

Bobby,

The light is likely supplied to us by Gustafson Lighting. Here's a link to their website.

You may want to call Heartland Customer Service and ask if the Parts department can check with our Gustafson rep on a clear shade and a higher wattage bulb.

Jim

I had the same problem in our 3055RL
I went to auto parts store and purchased two 12 volt recepticles that would take the
1154 single element bulbs. Replaced the old with the new and it worked .