Looking for campground in New Orleans

Rodbuster

We are thinking about going to New Orleans (have never been) after the Alabama rally in April. All the RV reviews for the campgrounds in the area sound less than appealing. They are either in industrial areas or the projects and none sound safe. We would prefer not to drive the dually around for sight seeing so we have been concentrating on camgrounds that offer a shuttle service. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Dick

SGeohagan

We stayed at Pontchartrain Landing a couple of years ago. Not the best area, but it is gated and they have a shuttle that will drop you off and pick you up. On a canal. Sister-in-law caught a couple of black drum right out the front door. They also accept Passport America.

jbeletti

Dick,

We stayed right in town (map link) at French Quarter RV Resort (CG site link).

Great place to stay if you want to be REAL close and not have to commute in. Below are my pros and cons based on my single experience for 3 nights in 2012.

PROs:

• VERY close to downtown
  • No commute
  • Cheap to take a taxi
  • Can walk to downtown (just a few blocks), though take taxi home after dark
  • Secure - high wall, gated access at night
CONs:

• VERY expensive
  • Next to I-10 (some road noise if windows are open)
  • Close to town, so susceptible siren noise
We would stay here again. For the closeness to the action and the ability to go home midday to let puppy out, it was worth it to us.

Garypowell

We stay in Hammond, LA can't think of the name of the park but it is on the intersection of 12 and 55. It is an hour to NO and about an hour to Baton Rough so it is perfect for us. Fairly nice park. A little wet when it rains.

Rodbuster

Rodney, Jim and Gary...thank you for your replies. My social director is out for a few hours, when she gets back, I'll turn this information over to her and we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for taking the time.
Dick

MTPockets

Fontainebleau State Park is a very nice park in Mandeville, LA on the north side of lake Poncetrain... We'll be there again March 29th

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Mtpockets, we are down the road at Fairview-Riverside, on hwy. 22 during the same time.Let's do dinner out one night. Let us know.

DougAndJudy

There are 2 parks in Slidell on Old Spanish Trail. We stayed at Pine Crest. We liked it. It's only 20 minutes or so to downtown New Orleans. The other park is just a little ways down the road from Pine Crest. We haven't stayed there, but it looks like a nice park (I've driven by it several times.) Fountainebleu State Park looks like a nice place to stay. It's a beautiful park. Only trouble is that to get to New Orleans, you would probably take the Causeway Bridge. It's a toll ($3.00) bridge that's 24 miles long!