Looking for feedback on Office version of BH 3875 FB

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Tim, we have the Landmark model (Newport) of the 1/2 bath/office unit and we specifically wanted the office vs the 1/2 bath. We LOVE our unit and I can't say enough about how great having the office is. Plenty of extra storage and I can leave my laptop and printer out when we have company. Just shut the door. I get what I want and DW gets what she wants (no clutter to worry about). We opted to purchase a small secretarial chair which we keep in place when we travel by putting a box up against it, so it doesn't roll.

The only complaint I have about the office is that when Heartland built ours (not sure if it has changed in the last year and a half or not) they called it storage not office. As a result, they built two drawers on the right side of the "desk" that are not big enough to put file folders in. There is room to make them with file drawers, but they didn't do it. Not very wise decision if you ask me, but..... Of course that gives me the box I need to hold the chair in place because I have to have portable file box to keep my folders in.

Kathi-27

Re: 3875fb

they have not changed the drawer. also thought that was dumb on there part also. it is 1 inch to small. like you said. there is room to make it larger. maybe heatland wil see this and make the change.

jbeletti

Tim, we have the Landmark model (Newport) of the 1/2 bath/office unit...

...As a result, they built two drawers on the right side of the "desk" that are not big enough to put file folders in. There is room to make them with file drawers, but they didn't do it...

Keith - it's my understanding the the Newport is no longer available with the Office variant - only the half-bath.

The Arlington is the reimagined Newport with the Office space - albeit opened up. Looking at a photo of the desk area of the Arlington, it looks like a stack of box drawers with no file drawer.
phoca_thumb_l_2016 LM Arlington 11.jpg

Kathi-27

wish they would have offered this floor plan in the big horn. this is what the wife really wanted. just couldn't swing that much to get the lm. they should make the 2 bottom drawers into 1 as a file drawer.

Kathi-27

strong java
went to pu hitch today and took some measurements for you. office is 52inch deep x 48inch wide. floor to bottom of center drawer is 25.5inch. sitting in my office chair with it all the way down top of my legs are 22.5inch. hope this helps.

Chippendale

I saw a used Arlington the other day with a build date of as best I can remember 9/15/2015 and it had one drawer on top and two larger drawers on bottom, but I don’t think they would have worked as file drawers. This is not a very good picture (I hope it shows), but the best I can find. Also, note the divided space above the desk, how would you place a printer in that space?

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg

The drawers are too wide (as shown in Jim B’s posting), it causes there to be a real narrow knee space and your left arm is flush against the wall (can you say claustrophobic?). If they could put a knee space about 25” wide, so a small normal desk chair could be used (owner furnished), a drawer pedestal of about 14” wide, with at least one 8 1/2 x 11” size file drawer and then maybe two smaller drawers above the file drawer, and a 25” wide drawer above the knee space, you would begin to get a useable desk area. In my opinion, there should be an electrical plug down low in the knee space and also plugs in the desk top area as well as the printer area, plugs can’t be that expensive.
It seems like the powers that be at Heartland flat don’t want to offer a desk/office space option. All it has to be is an option that could be ordered on the Newport (doesn’t have to be a separate trailer like the Arlington) and should also be offered on the BH 3875 FB as well as the BC 3950FB. It shouldn’t be that hard to do as an option and should not cause a separate model to have to be built.
I live and travel alone, and as I write this, I am in my sticks and bricks and it is 9:00 PM and my television has not been turned on today. One TV is all I need in a RV, I have spent probably 50 or 60% of the day on the computer/Internet. A nice comfortable and usable desk area would probably cause me to open my pocket book again for a new trailer. Not everyone who would like a desk can afford a Landmark, so hopefully, Heartland will start to offer desk options in all model lines to those of us who want them. What say you?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Jim, I can understand why Heartland has discontinued the office configuration - not enough people buying that option. As you well know, cuz you were there when we bought the Newport at the Tampa RV Show, they had two Newports side by side, one with the office and one with the half bath. Major reason we picked this one was because of the office. While I like the photo of the Arlington, in reality the space never looks that uncluttered in real life. :) Especially since there is obviously no file drawer. That's a big draw back for me.

Keith - it's my understanding the the Newport is no longer available with the Office variant - only the half-bath.

The Arlington is the reimagined Newport with the Office space - albeit opened up. Looking at a photo of the desk area of the Arlington, it looks like a stack of box drawers with no file drawer.
View attachment 44738

StrongJava

@kathi-27, thank you for the measurements.

@jbeletti, I'm grateful you have joined this thread and posted the picture from the Arlington. We'll look for one to review, but I do have to say up front the Arlington is longer than I want. We stayed at an Alabama State Park while en route to the Hampton Roads area, and it was tight even with our ~39 footer. Adding nearly 4' is not my first choice. I realize it might just be a matter of getting used to it.

I'm undecided on the 3875 vs the 3760 (modified). As I've written before, I'm a bit concerned about feeling too confined with the office being that small. I spend a lot of work time at my desk. I like the size and location of my desk our current coach. If we ended up going with the 3760, I'd have to change my set-up, and I'm not yet sure how.

Occasionally I will have the TV on while I'm at my desk. I'm not sure how well that would work with the 3760's TV being so large. In that sense, I like how you've done the Arlington, and I would look for something similar if I were in the 3875.

I'm sure your designers love us!