Loose Storage Bin Door Bracket

Two Hands

A couple months ago the screws that fasten the pneumatic strut to the port side storage bin door came loose. I bought some slightly larger screws to refasten the bracket and had not used the door since. When I opened it today at least half of the screws had pulled loose. I think the inside of this door is some kind of particle board. The bracket that came loose is on the door. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this bracket to stay in place?

2010augusta

might ditch the screws and use a bolt and jack-nut, like this.
j_nut.gif

Two Hands

Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate the information. I got the jack-nuts and, with the help of a shade tree carpenter buddy, we got to work. The jack-nuts pulled out as the screw was tightened. We tried several times, but no luck. My buddy forced several broken wooden match sticks in the screw holes and reattached the bracket. It is holding for now, but does not seem like it is a permanent fix. I had also bought some epoxy like material recommended by the hardware guy, but we did not want to pull the bracket back off to apply it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Space permitting, I would also go with the aluminum backer plate to mount to. I installed this door hold open on my rig and put a piece of aluminum plate inside to give it something sturdy to mount to. I used stainless steel nylon lock-nuts on the stainless steel machine bolts.

View attachment 9808View attachment 9809