Male 15Amp plug

Klawockvet

I'm a new owner of a 2009 3950. There is a 15amp male plug on the driver side rear of my trailer that would only be used to plug into a standard 110 residential outlet. I need to know what that plug/connection is for. Unfortunately I have a thick blue packet of information but there is no owners manual in there. What is it for?

wdk450

Since you have a 15 year old used rig, my best guess for this non-standard 15 amp plug (2nd inlet power) that this is something added by a previous owner, and not OEM. You are going to have to trace this wiring out for an answer.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Eons ago we had a nice pop up camper that did not come with AC. When I installed an AC unit I had to install a plug that you have just described.
So like Bill said it most likely has been installed by a previous owner. Trace the circuit and look for a non OEM item that needs power. Maybe even the AC in the living room.

Peace
Dave

jerryjay11

Looking around this is what I found...

I asked the question to google "Why does the heartland Cyclone 3950 have a male 110 plug?" and it gave an answer. It is an option in case you don't have a 30/50-amp outlet to plug in. Allows to use a standard outlet at home if you don't have 30/50-amp outlet installed.

The Heartland Cyclone 3950 camper features a male 115-volt plug as part of its electrical system. Let’s delve into the reasons behind this design:

1. Electrical Systems in RVs:
    • RVs typically have both 120-volt AC (alternating current) and 12-volt DC (direct current) electrical systems.
    • The 120-volt AC system powers appliances and devices that require higher voltage, such as air conditioners, microwaves, and electrical outlets.
    • The 12-volt DC system powers lights, water pumps, and other low-voltage components.
  2. Power Sources at Campgrounds:
    • When parked at a campground, RVs can connect to external power sources through shore power.
    • Campground pedestals provide various types of receptacles and plugs for RVs to connect to.
  3. Different Receptacles and Plugs:
    • RVs come with different plug types to accommodate varying power needs:
      • 50-amp service: Provides the most power for running electrical devices in the RV.
      • 30-amp service: Offers slightly less power but is still sufficient for most appliances.
      • 15-amp service: Provides limited power and is suitable for basic needs.
    • Some older campgrounds may only have a 30-amp receptacle available1.
  4. Heartland Cyclone 3950:
    • The male 115-volt plug on the Heartland Cyclone 3950 likely corresponds to a dedicated 20-amp 120-volt AC plug.
    • While the RV has a 50-amp service, this specific plug allows it to connect to a 20-amp receptacle if needed.
    • It provides flexibility for accessing power in different campground scenarios.
In summary, the male 115-volt plug on the Heartland Cyclone 3950 ensures compatibility with various campground power sources, allowing the RV to function effectively regardless of the available electrical infrastructure1

Last edited:

Klawockvet

That is exactly the information I needed. I have googled this question repeatedly but apparently my googling skills are lacking. Thanks for solving the mystery.

wdk450

Question:
If you are connected to 50 amp or 30 amp 110 volt AC campground electrical service, does that 110 volt plug (NEMA 5-15P) have live 110 volts AC on its free hanging male prongs????

I would think that there would be an input power selector/isolation switch somewhere to prevent this hazard.

Klawockvet

WDK: That is a good question that I dont know the answer of. Tomorrow I may try to figure that out but its too darn cold to look at it tonight or tomorrow.

jerryjay11

Question:
If you are connected to 50 amp or 30 amp 110 volt AC campground electrical service, does that 110 volt plug (NEMA 5-15P) have live 110 volts AC on its free hanging male prongs????

I would think that there would be an input power selector/isolation switch somewhere to prevent this hazard.
Good question. I would think the switching would be automatic once the 30/50 amp cord is plugged in. I would throw a voltmeter on it to be sure.

Klawockvet

I unplugged the 50 amp cord and tried a 15 amp connection but nothing worked. I assume there must be a transfer switch but I haven't located it. I'll keep looking and if I ever find it I will post the results