Many Issues With A New 2015 Elkridge

Petereff

Am I the only owner of a brand new 2015 Elkridge who is continuing to have problems every time I go out? Too many defects to list here but the common denominator is really poor manufacturing and workmanship and quality control. There is no quality control! After having several items repaired recently by the selling dealer I am now out on a two week trip only to have the entire contents of my fresh water tank empty into the bottom belly cover. This was just after the last repair that cut access holes all over the belly cover to trace a wiring problem related to the rear stabilizer jacks. I'm not sure just how much more aggravation I'm going to take before getting rid of the trailer. Anybody else experience poor workmanship and quality control in your unit or am I the only one that has acquired the lemon?

Pete

danemayer

Hi Petereff,

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but let me welcome you to the Heartland Owners Forum anyway. This is a great place to get help from other owners because collectively the thousands of owners here can provide an unmatched level of expertise.

Are you certain the fresh tank is leaking? Someone else recently posted about water in the underbelly from driving through heavy rain.

Petereff

Well, the tank was filled to 2/3rds yesterday and we didn't use that much on the road use only. So where did it go. Turn a corner and my following buddy reported large amounts of water coming out from underneath. So yes, it is the fresh water tank. Saagging belly cover. Ok before the last repair job underneath. So go figure it out. That belly cover looks pretty well sealed and shoud not let rain water in on the road. Besides I'm in California. No rain here. Not happy. This is the worst trailer I've ever had, 4th one, and most of the issues are with the cheap materials used and the really horrible workmanship. And the worst part is......Nobody cares.

'Lil Guy'

Are you traveling with a full tank of water? I'm new here and just acquired a ER also. I Just haul enough water in case we need to flush the toilet. I couldn't imagine having 400+ lbs of water sloshing around on the road. I don't use my fresh water tank very often but I drain it before travel. I've never even looked at the tank but can picture a lightweight poly tank. Maybe someone who knows can chime in. How are they held in place? Is it with a couple of straps? I was told to fill the tank at the nearest point of your destination so you don't have it loaded down with water during trravel. Sorry to hear of your misfortunes and hope you get it all worked out. Don't give up on your ER. We're loving ours.

Petereff

Glad to hear that you are enjoying yours and not having any problems. The tank is there to use and it doesn't matter how much water is in it. I don't use a full tank either because of the weight. But it had less than 2/3 when we left. I was going to use some to shower the first night out just to lesson the weight. It already showed 1/3 before showering. The next day it showed empty., didn't use the tank as it was already down. So where did it go? Turning into a park my following buddy said there is a lot of water coming from the bottom of your trailer. Now where do you think it might have come from? This was just after repairs underneath where that tank was pinching a wire for the rear jacks. Never had the leak until the last repair. It had to have been damaged by the "trained" technicians. But the big complaint is the continued issues because of the really poor workmanship. I could go on but it would take several pages. Besides a note about several issues was filed with Heartland and after two weeks, no response. Now we're on a two week trip and no chance for repairs until we get back. Fourth trailer and really disappointed in this one.

danemayer

Besides a note about several issues was filed with Heartland and after two weeks, no response.

You should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Writing letters or emails is one approach, but if your primary concern is to get everything straightened out as fast as possible, get on the phone and have a calm discussion about how to get everything corrected. You'll get a much better response.

I'm with you Peter, don't have issues with water tank maybe because I haven't used it. But the shower trifold door has leaked from the get go on mine. I bought mine in February and it's still not fixed. The dealer always says is parts are ordered but haven't come in yet. So now I'm just fixing everything myself. I don't haul mine down road like you it just sits at lake property. Hopefully you will get yours fix. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sounds like your dealer is not treating you right. Contact Heartland directly, they can also authorize an independent repair facility to do warranty work, anywhere you are.

Hope you get things resolved so you can enjoy your trailer. We've had our ElkRidge more than 5 years now. Hasn't been to a dealer since the first year -- most everything we fix ourselves, (most things are minor) with help from this forum.

danemayer

I bought mine in February and it's still not fixed. The dealer always says is parts are ordered but haven't come in yet.

When the dealer says parts haven't come in yet and you think it's been too long, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can tell you if parts have been ordered and when.

Petereff

I've been on the phone several times with customer service and they have been helpful with most of the issues I've had. Even talked to a line supervisor to discuss the workmanship issues I am having. Yes, I was calm. This has now been going on for seven months and every time I've taken it out there have been major issues. Kitchen shelves collapsing, no there wasn't much weight on them. No staples were placed on one of the supporting rails. Trim pieces falling off, again no staples holding them on. Drawer bottoms following out as the stiffener boards are not stapled in. All manufacturing issues. I have owned three other 5th wheel trailers with hardly a problem with any of them. So it's now my turn to get the lemon. I wish everyone well with their units as this is suppose to be an "upgraded" line category. I would hate to see what a "high end" unit would look like.

Petereff

Yes I have been able to fix most of the items myself as I really hate taking it to this dealer. The issue is that by the time I take it there and go get it after it is "fixed" it's a 160 mile trip. There is an independent repair facility closer to home and they are authorized to work on Heartland trailers. I will give them a try after I get home. Thanks to everyone for the info and encouragement. I just hope we make it back home without the wheels falling off!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you had no leaks before the repair and you have leaks now it sounds like when they cut the access holes they also cut the fresh water tank.
And I question why they had to cut a bunch of access holes when the coroplast is just screwed onto the frame and can easily be dropped.
Sounds like your biggest problem is the dealer.
JMO.

Peace
Dave

Yes I've had several issues with drawer bottoms and drawers. I bought me a air gun that holds staples and fixing them as it happens.

Just called service and parts are in so maybe they will come out and repair. Keeping my fingers crossed. I don't have vehicle to haul back to dealership so they will have to come to me next time I'm go up there. I do love the Elkridge. Hope to go full time when I can retire.

Petereff

I don't know what's happened to manufacturing quality in the last 12 years since I bought my last one but it has really gone down hill. We've been looking for a new trailer for several years until we found this one. Should have kept looking.

Petereff

Exactly. The bottom drops out after the screws are taken out. A quick way to gain access besides the owner will never know the difference. I agree something was cut. The wire going to the rear jacks was run under the fresh water tank as was being pinched to the frame. Insulation worn off. So they say. I opened up the one hole and it was along side one of the black/gray tanks. The fresh water tank was 6 feet away. So if they did what they said they did they just might have had the bottom cover off. They emptied the tank to free the wire so maybe they cracked the tank in pulling the wire free. It wasn't leaking before so something happened. Too bad it's really hard to hire good help with the knowledge needed to do the job right.

Petereff

Yes, you're right. I've never depended on them at all. Although the fresh water indicators have not failed in any of the trailers I've owned. Disappointing that a better system hasn't been developed in this high tech age that we live in.