Materials other than wood for jack pads

IronJ

Those 3/4 inch mats are great...we basically have the same thing for our gym flooring. ..some are 10yrs old!! They have had 100s of pounds of barbells and dumbells dropped on them daily/repeatedly (imagine the pressure exerted when a barbell loaded with 300-400 lbs is dropped from waist high!!)...they still have no permenant dents or look much diff than when new...

When I saw the hoss pads at camping world (and saw the price) I laughed and went and got an old piece and cut me some squares also...I drilled a hole and ran a piece of poly rope to pick em up easier....they work exceptionally well!! If I'm on a gravel/rock surface I just throw the pad under the level up feet...if it's grass/soft I use the pad with a lynx block and a lynx cap..I cut my pads 16x16 to give a lil more print.....my wife always said she was surprised I didn't figure out a way to permenantly attach them to the feet....

Ironically just recently I saw a post here about a company basically doing just that...lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Bones

Sah'weet!

Let us know your findings . . .

Our 2015 Heartland Prowler is parked on rocks in our side yard and I am looking for alternatives to having the tires sit on said rocks when stored.
JohnD
If you get a pad and Cut it in half I think that would work well for you. I am think you may want to put a few holes in it too so water can drain. Especially when the tires are on the pad they may cup it a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Those 3/4 inch mats are great...we basically have the same thing for our gym flooring. ..some are 10yrs old!! They have had 100s of pounds of barbells and dumbells dropped on them daily/repeatedly (imagine the pressure exerted when a barbell loaded with 300-400 lbs is dropped from waist high!!)...they still have no permenant dents or look much diff than when new...

When I saw the hoss pads at camping world (and saw the price) I laughed and went and got an old piece and cut me some squares also...I drilled a hole and ran a piece of poly rope to pick em up easier....they work exceptionally well!! If I'm on a gravel/rock surface I just throw the pad under the level up feet...if it's grass/soft I use the pad with a lynx block and a lynx cap..I cut my pads 16x16 to give a lil more print.....my wife always said she was surprised I didn't figure out a way to permenantly attach them to the feet....

Ironically just recently I saw a post here about a company basically doing just that...lol...

IronJ
These look a lot like the hoss pads but cost a lot less. There is a thread on here for Rv snap pads that snap right onto your level up foot pads. They look like a really awesome product.

IronJ

I am interested in some rv snap pads...but until they offer a discount or something the pack of 6 is too much considering a mat is 38$ at tractor supply...how hard would it be to trace the foot pad and cut a few pieces and bolt/screw them on???...I have yet to see one of our machines damage a pad and some weigh in excess of 1000lbs with 4 little steel feet that are maybe 4x4 inches holding the weight/impact....needless to say they are tough!! (And HEAVY ...a 4x6 mat has gotta weigh 60 lbs easy)!! My employees cringe when I tell em to move/clean mats....lol

olcoon

I had a little bit of time so I stopped off at our local horse and animal store and picked up a stall mat. I purchased the 3/4 thick one and total length was 4' x 6' for $40 bucks. I cut the pad into strips where one strip will be used for under my tires when leveling. The rest I cut up into 12" x 12" squares. Here are some pictures of the pad.

View attachment 41226

View attachment 41227

View attachment 41229

This is the strip I plan on using under the tires when needed.
View attachment 41228

I scored some scrap composite boards used for decorative purposes on houses. I am thinking of gluing these in-between the rubber. That should stiffen up the pads for loading.

View attachment 41230

I am thinking of using rubber cement to glue everything together. Not sure if that will hold up but I will find out. Sadly I wont get all of this together in time for my last trip so I will continue to work on the project through the winter. Unless November proves to be a warm month then I'll try to get out camping again.//heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/cool.png

I'm curious to find out what you used to cut the mats.

IronJ

Straight edge and a utility knife...score then cut through. ..we have literally cut hundreds in our gym like that...just be careful !!

olcoon

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. Didn't know if thats what you used, or a jig saw/saws all.

IronJ

We have tried MANY diff methods....including but not limited to a saw, table saw, rotozip and on and on.....truth is a nice new sharp utility blade and a good steel straight edge is the best....been cutting those dang mats for almost 10yrs easily now...lol

Bones

Yup I used a razor blade knife with a straight edge. Once scored I raised the cut edge and kept cutting until I was through. Gives you a good workout cutting and handling them.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I used one of the extendable blades. The ones that break off in sections. Once the initial cut was made, about a half inch, I placed a piece of 2x2 under the cut which exposed the last 1/4 inch to cut. Using the 2X2 made it really easy to cut.

Bones

I was out this weekend and I got a chance to use the pads but not quite like I would like yet.

John here is what the pad looks like when under the wheels. As chance had it I couldn't level my camper without it. I needed just a little more and to keep my levelers from sinking in the ground. So here is the picture.

1108150820b_HDR.jpg

As for the squares here is what they look like on-top of my wood blocks. I think they will work well but I may need to do more reinforcing as you can see the edges curl up when loaded. I will try my composite boards glued in-between the rubber and see what happens.

IMG_20151108_082352.jpgIMG_20151108_082406.jpgIMG_20151108_082358.jpg