Max age or mileage for used tow vehicle

Window shopping for our first RV. It will be a mid profile 5th wheel, likely a sundance rear kitchen model. As such, I'm also looking for a used tow vehicle, a 3/4 ton diesel. I'm wondering how old would be too old for such a vehicle, or how much mileage I should limit my search to. Since the trailer will be newish, I have to cut a corner somewhere, I figure the tow vehicle will have to longer service life. Thanks.

Lynn1130

That is a very difficult question to answer with any accuracy. Diesels last longer than gassers but all are lasting longer these days. But, a vehicle with 90K on it that has been rode hard and put up wet is going to be a problem down the road (pun intended). Your best bet is to subscribe to one of the VIN checking services that allows you to see what repairs the vehicle has had. This would give you some idea of history and an educated guess on what might be in store for you should you buy it. They don't tell you everything but it will help.

GOTTOYS

That is a very difficult question to answer with any accuracy. Diesels last longer than gassers but all are lasting longer these days. But, a vehicle with 90K on it that has been rode hard and put up wet is going to be a problem down the road (pun intended). Your best bet is to subscribe to one of the VIN checking services that allows you to see what repairs the vehicle has had. This would give you some idea of history and an educated guess on what might be in store for you should you buy it. They don't tell you everything but it will help.
I just rolled 88,000 on my 2010. It doesn't do me any good sitting in the driveway. All of my service is up to date. Just finished changing all the fluids again, replaced the crankcase vent filter, serviced and cleaned the EGR cooler and EGR valve, changed the fuel, air and oil filters along with the transmission filters (again). Checked the brake pads, replaced the tires with a new set of Michelins and cleaned and detailed the interior. Nothing left to do now but drive it some more. I have all of the service records on file. If I was in the market for a truck and one like mine came up for sale, and I'm sure there are lots of them, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It drives the same as when it was new, no squeeks, no rattles, the paint shines, no dents, rust or scratches. Just start digging around there are lots of us anal old geezers that just like to trade every few years. Wish I could afford to...Don

MTPockets

Before retiring we routinely ran our 2500 & 3500 series gas vans 250,000 to sometimes over 300,000 miles. Routine maintenance and minor repairs expected, but did that for 35 years.

lynndiwagoner

Pushing 140,000 on my 2005, 2500HD, D/A chevy. Just got back from 3000 mile trip and never worried about it. I have kept up on maintenance, replaced front end parts, new shocks, new wheels and tires. Still a lot cheaper than a new one plus I don't need DEF.

Lynn1130

Yep, there are a bunch of anal old geezers out there. My 04 is just under 90K with no dents, rattles or squeaks and all of the maintenance up to date (my signature should be a clue in my case). However, there are a lot of them out there that look good but have a checkered past. Check before you buy.

hcriddle

When we get home from this trip we will be about 285,000 on our 2002 Ford F250 crew cab diesel. We have had a couple of scares but both turned out to be minor fixes. New front hubs, new fuel return line and a couple of water pumps along the way and it has been a great truck. We would love to have a new truck but it will have big shoes to fill! Look at how much towing you will be doing and what kind of mileage you will be adding to it each year and you can judge how long you will be able to get good use out of it. Key to a good truck is knowing the maintenance history.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm not sure I would buy a high mileage truck from a private party unless they had all the maintance records. If an engine (diesel) or trans takes a dive...you are talking BIG BUCKS. If you can find one at a dealer that has less then 80-90K miles and they can access all the maintance records. That would be the way to go. BTW, just so you know.....most of the big 3's engines are not broken in until they have at least 50-60k miles on them. Don't expect to get more than 10MPG average on any of them towing....ain't gona happen.

Riski

I think you should look for a low mileage tow vehicle. Last year I got a 2010 F350 DRW 4x4 Diesel with 10K miles for less than half the price as a new one. I pull a Cyclone 4100 King and it's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 has over 163,000 on it now . . .

I keep it up as best I can, but it is 18 years old now and doesn't owe me a dime!

Still purrs like a kitten, almost all original, but it is getting a little tired for the kind of trips that we are planning for in the next few years.

I try to stay away from the big mountain passes (rough task here in Colorado) as much as possible when towing the trailer.

I plan on upgrading to a 2500/250 or 3500/350 next year!

TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg

4-wheelin' along the edge of the Rio Grand Gorge near Taos, New Mexico

Crumgater

Our past two trucks have both been 2-year trade-ins... the first, a '95 F250 gasser club cab we bought in '97 - and ran from 25k miles to 95k miles... and sold it in 2010 when we upgraded to a 2008 F350 diesel crew cab. The F350 had 54k miles on it.

Both were bought from Ford dealers and came with (optional/$$) extended warranties.

We DID use the warranty on the F350 when we had issues with the fuel moisture separator/sensor... apparently when selling a truck with 54k miles on it, the dealer did not think it worthwhile to do the 55k mile maintenance (i.e. replace fuel filter).

We don't put many miles on the truck (if you didn't notice), so going new just doesn't make sense for us. The 2-year old route at a dealer normally gets you a company truck lease-trade-in that was probably well maintained... but double-checking is always a good idea. There may be better deals out there, but the dealer warranty provides some peace of mind to me, for sure (especially as this was our first diesel).

-Tina

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our past two trucks have both been 2-year trade-ins...

Both were bought from dealers and came with (optional/$$) extended warranties.

We DID use the warranty on the F350 when we had issues with the fuel moisture separator/sensor... apparently when selling a truck with 54k miles on it, the dealer did not think it worthwhile to do the 55k mile maintenance (i.e. replace fuel filter).

My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 was the same way . . . slightly used, and very less expensive than buying new!

I did get the extended warranty on it, and never had to use it once!

The only things I've had to replace in the 15 years I've owned it was new brake pads, a few front end parts, U-joints, water pump, radiator, fan belt and some hoses, tires, catalytic converter, and air and oil filters.

Oh . . . and a few light bulbs along the way.

I am suspecting that one of the front wheel bearings needs some service.

It could use a paint job, the tranny and oil pan dribbles a little, and the headliner is starting to separate . . . but it just keeps purring along!

I also have an issue with the front hub lock . . . either a vacuum leak or the electronic switch needs to be replaced . . . so no 4-wheel drive until I figure that one out!

This is my sixth Dodge truck over the years and have had the best of luck with all of them!

BackEntranceJewelCaveTruck-IMG_1111.jpg CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg 4wheelinsig-IMGP3158.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

hcriddle

May have spoken little too soon. We made it home from our trip but while pulling a 20' trailer with a tractor and shredder on it today I lost the lower gears and overdrive in my transmission. Looks like a BTS tranny is in the future for this truck. I was able to limp it home so no tow charges or storage fees. I am still happy with 285,000 miles on the original transmission with many of those miles pulling trailers for both work and pleasure.

Miltp920

I bought my 2003 Duramax Allison GMC Crew cab 4WD 2 years ago $17,000. It had 165,000 miles on it. I am at 179,500 now and going strong. Some diesel owners told me that many miles was just broke in. I did not hesitate. My 2003 had fuel injector issues, but the dealer I purchased it through reported that ALL injectors were dealer replaced already. So I should be good for 100,000 miles IF I take care of her. I just had the transmission fluid changed, and the transmission shop told me ALL looked good. Now this truck was very clean, and looked like previous owner took re a lly good care of it. I was recently thinking upgrade to a 1 ton, and I have heard MANY say to be careful with the FORDs diesels 6.0L (unless they have hadthe "bulletproof" kit installed- EGRCooler deleteand new head studs) and the one that followed 6.4L (injectors) I am not a FORD diesel owner, but I just talked to a diesel mechanic who parked a 2015 Cyclone 3100 next to my 2014 cyclone 3100 this weekend. He said the Fords are what he is working on most these days. He was driving a 2009 Duramax Chevy 2500HD. He told me to stick with the Duramax Allison IF I could. I like advice like that from a diesel mechanic. He did say avoid the years where they dump extra fuel to help with emissions, DEF? I have nnot heard anyone complaining about the Dodge Cummings diesel. I decided I cant afford to upgrade right now, so my 2003 D/A is off the market, but I love my truck. Also, I was told if you are pulling heavy camper, the gasser is not as strong as the diesel. But diesel is $4/gallon. At least gas comes down once in awhile. Diesel maintenance is noted to be more expensive than gasser. I am hoping to start doing some of my basic mainteance. Good luck.

We are pulling a 2010 Edge M-21 (probably weights 5k fully loaded) with a 1500 silverado - 2008 V8 and getting horrible gas mileage so wondering about swithing to a 2500 with a duramax and allison trans. Any thoughts?

Lynn1130

Yep, you will never look back. The Duramax is barely going to know that that trailer is back there.

Great. And what kind of mileage do you get with the duramax when pulling (vrs not pulling) - if you don't mind... We are new to this and still finding our way around details.

GOTTOYS

We are pulling a 2010 Edge M-21 (probably weights 5k fully loaded) with a 1500 silverado - 2008 V8 and getting horrible gas mileage so wondering about swithing to a 2500 with a duramax and allison trans. Any thoughts?
The difference in cost to trade up to a diesel will pay for an awful lot of gas...It's not like you will double your fuel mileage or anything close...Don

Lynn1130

I hate it when I type a long reply and then hit the wrong button.
GOTTOYS, I think that statement was true when gas was $1.50 but with the prices today $5000 (diesel engine upgrade) divided by $3.70 per gal = 1351 gals of gas X 8 mpg average gasser pulling a big load = 10,810 miles. Not much at all if you RV any.

Mileages always depend upon the driver and conditions. Mountain climbs, winds and traffic can kill mileage BUT on the average over long runs I get 11/12 mpg and have done as well as 15/16 with a little bit of tail wind over a long haul. Empty 22/24 mpg over the road runs. I make a run to Kansas for turkey hunting every Spring and that is about what it comes out empty and hauling.

The newer Duramax engines do not do quite as well as the LB7 in my truck because that engine came without all of the emissions crap.

whp4262

Great. And what kind of mileage do you get with the duramax when pulling (vrs not pulling) - if you don't mind... We are new to this and still finding our way around details.

I have a 2013 Duramax 4x4 dually and I average a little over 19 running empty on the freeway at 70. Pulling the Cyclone I average 9 to 9.5 at 65.