MOR/RYDE Pin Box Review (as promised)

Sniper

Thought I would do a separate post for a review instead of on "Our 3010 Modifications" post in hopes it would benefit more 5th wheel owners considering doing this popular upgrade. I will not include an overview of the installation of the pin box, but it came with very good instructions for the install, and I posted how I did it here: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/53549-Our-3010-Modifications/page4

(I also checked ALL bolts for tightness at every stop for the first one thousand miles after installation. Suggest you do the same). :)

I will preface this review by saying our TV is almost 16 years old so I am sure that the majority of you who own much newer TV's may not notice the same amount of improvement in towing ride quality with the pin box as we did. Our hitch is a B&W Companion. Further, if your looking for a magical component to make your 1-ton truck ride like a Lincoln, this pin box ain't it. :p

We purchased it through Amazon from RadAuto. It was less than $600.00 freight included. It shipped by LTL truck, and weighs about 145lbs. It arrived very well packaged, and in perfect condition. It came with very good installation instructions, and took about 3 hours for me to install by myself. (see link above) The part number for our application is: RPB72-1621-HD. 18,000lbs.

We now have over 2 thousand miles of towing with it, over varying roads, and I will say that the improvement in ride quality was immediately noticeable as soon as we got moving down the rough, narrow country lane on which we live. Hitting interstate expansion joints the 5th wheel settles back down much quicker back in to it's "happy place". I would say by as much as %75 quicker! That reduction in bucking makes a huge difference at the end of the day. It has to be better for the entire rig as well.

Slow speed in traffic, and in towns is where I feel the pin box really shines. You know when your slowly applying the brakes, and just as the rig almost stops, and then the traffic moves or the light changes, and your back on throttle? That jolting is pretty much completely non existent! Under hard braking the initial "jolt" from the 5th wheel is gone as well. It really is amazing compared to the stock pin box.

I hope this may help others considering a pin box upgrade. I can not compare it to other pin boxes on the market, for I have no experience with those, but I feel the MOR/RYDE pin box was worth every penny we paid for it, and the time and effort it took to install it.

As Always, Safe Travels Everyone:)

GEDC1373.jpg

Bones

Thought I would do a separate post for a review instead of on "Our 3010 Modifications" post in hopes it would benefit more 5th wheel owners considering doing this popular upgrade. I will not include an overview of the installation of the pin box, but it came with very good instructions for the install, and I posted how I did it here: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/53549-Our-3010-Modifications/page4

(I also checked ALL bolts for tightness at every stop for the first one thousand miles after installation. Suggest you do the same). :)

I will preface this review by saying our TV is almost 16 years old so I am sure that the majority of you who own much newer TV's may not notice the same amount of improvement in towing ride quality with the pin box as we did. Our hitch is a B&W Companion. Further, if your looking for a magical component to make your 1-ton truck ride like a Lincoln, this pin box ain't it. :p

We purchased it through Amazon from RadAuto. It was less than $600.00 freight included. It shipped by LTL truck, and weighs about 145lbs. It arrived very well packaged, and in perfect condition. It came with very good installation instructions, and took about 3 hours for me to install by myself. (see link above) The part number for our application is: RPB72-1621-HD. 18,000lbs.

We now have over 2 thousand miles of towing with it, over varying roads, and I will say that the improvement in ride quality was immediately noticeable as soon as we got moving down the rough, narrow country lane on which we live. Hitting interstate expansion joints the 5th wheel settles back down much quicker back in to it's "happy place". I would say by as much as %75 quicker! That reduction in bucking makes a huge difference at the end of the day. It has to be better for the entire rig as well.

Slow speed in traffic, and in towns is where I feel the pin box really shines. You know when your slowly applying the brakes, and just as the rig almost stops, and then the traffic moves or the light changes, and your back on throttle? That jolting is pretty much completely non existent! Under hard braking the initial "jolt" from the 5th wheel is gone as well. It really is amazing compared to the stock pin box.

I hope this may help others considering a pin box upgrade. I can not compare it to other pin boxes on the market, for I have no experience with those, but I feel the MOR/RYDE pin box was worth every penny we paid for it, and the time and effort it took to install it.

As Always, Safe Travels Everyone:)

View attachment 45450
Agreed on the ride.

farside291

Thanks for the installation post. My new Mor/Ryde is sitting on the back porch waiting to get installed next weekend, if the rain ever stops. I will use the hitch to help with the install the same as you did. Were you not able to use the plastic hitch cover with the new pin box? I was hoping to be able to reuse it. I also bought a new Reese 20K Titan hitch and it has urethane bushings. Anxious to tow with the new combo. I, like you, have an older tow vehicle.

Sniper

Thanks for the installation post. My new Mor/Ryde is sitting on the back porch waiting to get installed next weekend, if the rain ever stops. I will use the hitch to help with the install the same as you did. Were you not able to use the plastic hitch cover with the new pin box? I was hoping to be able to reuse it. I also bought a new Reese 20K Titan hitch and it has urethane bushings. Anxious to tow with the new combo. I, like you, have an older tow vehicle.
The box cover can not be reused "as is", but you may be able to modify it to work. I have not messed with it though, but I may do so come Fall. Hope the installation post helps ya out. It was not difficult at all, except I did struggle due to my broken body lifting the MOR/RYDE into the B & W hitch. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Very easy. Took about 60 minutes in and out and the last hour we were chatting. I had a buddy come over and help and my handy dandy cart
Fantastic! So I take it you got to tow with it already. How'd did it do? Was the improvements in ride quality as noticeable as they were with our old dually?

Bones

The box cover can not be reused "as is", but you may be able to modify it to work. I have not messed with it though, but I may do so come Fall. Hope the installation post helps ya out. It was not difficult at all, except I did struggle due to my broken body lifting the MOR/RYDE into the B & W hitch. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic! So I take it you got to tow with it already. How'd did it do? Was the improvements in ride quality as noticeable as they were with our old dually?

I Noticed the ride was a bit smoother but still jerky not nearly as much noise as my old one and it did settle down a lot quicker. I also noticed a better and smoother turn with this pin box. A quicker response from the trailer when backing up. Over all I think it was the right way to go. When I can get some highway driving in that will let me know. I will be taking it on a road I know how it road in a week and that should really give me a good indication. I will say that I do believe that the new pin box helped me keep the trailer stable this past weekend with the evasive maneuvers needed driving to the beach.

rhodies1

Does your new Titan hitch have the yellow or orange urethane bushings,if they are yellow ,you will need to contact Reese for the upgrade,the yellow bushings beat out in less than 500 miles, I have this hitch and the yellow bushings, nothing but headaches, Reese supplied all owners with free upgrade bushing packages.Hopefully you gave the new ones.

farside291

I just talked to Reese and they said the bushings are the ones that are under the hitch head not the ones that you can see. The ones that you can see should be yellow the ones you can't see under the hitch head are orange. I have to check when I get home.

farside291

I checked the hitch when I got home and I have the orange bushings. So I have the updated ones. The date on the hitch is November 2015. Thanks for the heads up.

Bones

I'll add to this thread now I have towed the camper on a familiar road and I would say the MorRyde pin box in my case was a good fit. The camper rides a lot smoother than my other pin box and I am happy with the outcome.