Most popular 5th wheel hitch

I just purchased a 2014 Ford F350 Super Duty DRW. I had a 25K Reese hitch mounted in my 2011 Ford F250 Super Duty. Will it work on the new truck with factory 5th wheel option that has the holes and under bed braces from the factory.
What air suspension seems to work the best?
Thanks

scottyb

+1 on the B&W. 5 min in/out. Positively locks closed and easy to hitch / unhitch when on unlevelled sites.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 145

pegmikef

My 2013 F350 has the Reese Elite, but I was told by the Ford accessory folks that they can get kits for the factory fifth wheel setup for a lot of different hitches. If yours is not the Elite, maybe there is a kit that will make it compatible so you can use it.

TXTiger

I too have a Ford with the 5th wheel prep package and purchased the Reese Elite 25k hitch from the Ford dealers parts department. I have never had a 5th wheel before so I don't have any comparison to other brand hitches. With a Ford you must back up then stop, leave your foot on the brake pedal, and then set the parking brake before releasing your foot from the break pedal or the vehicle will roll back and you will not be able to open the hitch jaw to unhitch. Not sure if this is with all hitches or only the Reese. Also not sure if this is only on a Ford or if this happens with a Chevy or Dodge/Ram either. Also it is good to grease the hitch. I use a can of white spray on lithium grease.

sjs731

X2 for B &W. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
B&W Companion hitch is the most user friendly!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree on user friendly. I had a Reese for 9 years with my other PU and always had to double check my hookups. With my B & W I backup to the hitch and the jaws close and the locking arm moves into place and I only have to drop the safety pin in and ready to go.

Eddhuy

Just to keep things accurate, the Reese Elite is very user friendly also with only the locking pin to insert. It also has a metal flag that lets you know when the jaw is closed. If the jaw does not close or only partly closes for some reason, the flag is not in position. I don't think it can get any easier to use but it is more expensive.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Just to keep things accurate, the Reese Elite is very user friendly also with only the locking pin to insert. It also has a metal flag that lets you know when the jaw is closed. If the jaw does not close or only partly closes for some reason, the flag is not in position. I don't think it can get any easier to use but it is more expensive.

Pretty sure the B&W is even more simpler and user friendly then the Reese. Once you back in the jaws shut, lever swings forward and all you do is drop the pin. Even if you forget to drop the safety pin I seriously doubt the jaws would even open as they have a positive locking mechanism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

mobilcastle

B&W is a great hitch. I had a super glide before and it was hard to unhook but a good hitch if you want a slider-I now have an 8' box.

whp4262

I have the Reese 25K hitch and when I back up the jaws automatically close and the handle goes into the lock position, all you have to do is drop in the locking pin. The head swivels back and fourth as well as side to side making it pretty easy to hitch up or disconnect on uneven ground. I like the Reese but B&W and the Reese Elite are both good hitches so I think it's just a matter of user preference and the B&W is a little cheaper.

Last edited:
Well I just purchased the Reese Elite 25K hitch today. No doubt a VP from Ford and a VP from Reese are brothers as the Reese is the only hitch that fits the Ford factory hitch option pucks..........

scottyb

Well I just purchased the Reese Elite 25K hitch today. No doubt a VP from Ford and a VP from Reese are brothers as the Reese is the only hitch that fits the Ford factory hitch option pucks..........

B&W makes a 20K Companion to fit the pucks. See post #3 above with photo attached.

dave10a

I have the Reese 20k and found that it does the job and can not comment on other brands. However, I wished people would be more specific about why they like or dislike a particular brand. It is not helpful to just say it is "user friendly" or "it's the best" without providing specific reasons to substantiate those comments.

scottyb

I have the Reese 20k and found that it does the job and can not comment on other brands. However, I wished people would be more specific about why they like or dislike a particular brand. It is not helpful to just say it is "user friendly" or "it's the best" without providing specific reasons to substantiate those comments.

+1 on the B&W. 5 min in/out. Positively locks closed and easy to hitch / unhitch when on unlevelled sites.

I will also add that you can clearly see the jaws locked around the king pin. There was a post on here or another forum, of a person who drove 100 miles to his home and realized that he forgot to insert the locking pin in the swing arm. Not recommended but reassuring. In Payson, AZ I was at a park where the pad was level but the truck was not by a long shot. No problem unhitching / hitching.

dave10a

I will also add that you can clearly see the jaws locked around the king pin. There was a post on here or another forum, of a person who drove 100 miles to his home and realized that he forgot to insert the locking pin in the swing arm. Not recommended but reassuring. In Payson, AZ I was at a park where the pad was level but the truck was not by a long shot. No problem unhitching / hitching.
That is a good post the tells me something. My 20k Reese hitch will also hold with out the pin as well. I don't know about the hitching/unhitching when not level, but I have not had a problem on relatively level, but unhitching can be a chore if there is pressure on the hitch. I have learned to minimize that problem/ I don't know if the jaws are more secure than mine, but I like the solid latching of my hitch without the jaws. Also, I don't think it is possible to high hitch mine because of its basic design. I painted my hitch so I could see that is hitched in low light, but I don't think it is possible to improperly hitch if the safety pin goes in the hole properly.