Moving Up 1/4 Ton at a Time

Bones

Nice video. I would say you could always get a dually axle and put that under the truck with a new fancy bed addition and your golden or you can retrofit your current axle to accept a dually conversion

Bones

Man, I wish our first 2 Heartland trailers were as big as your "Little Guy"
We heard too many times at how people would trade in their units after only a few years so we wanted to do it right from the start.

'Lil Guy'

We heard too many times at how people would trade in their units after only a few years so we wanted to do it right from the start.

Yea, I read all about that on the forum but some people are smarter than others. I must be just plain dum r ignort.
One good thing that came form my multiple mistakes was the creation of the 'Lil Guy'. You've got to love him. His reputation precedes him and he's fun to hang around.
The 1st set up was understandable since you're not sure if this is for you. The 2nd was the expensive mistake. The 3rd, a man has to do what a man has to do. One benny is I'm on a 1st name basis with both dealerships and I bet the combined total of my rigs cost more than yours,lol

'Lil Guy'

Put the truck on hold. Went Saturday and dealer said he would order anything I wanted but kept saying I'm making a mistake and spent so much time showing me the data to back it up, I started second guessing my choice. Big upside down to get it wrong again. Lots of money for just a small amount of payload increase. I think it better for us to wdait later this year and pick out the rig we want and then go get the truck. Don't want to be limited by my TV again. I know I want a large fuel tank in the bed and that will hit the payload for about 800 to 900 lbs. I'm guessing that those 2300 lb dry hitch weights become closer to 3K when you start to load that storage compartment.
Looks like I'm going to have to work that monkey hard for the next 6 to 8 months. And man, I don't want a dually but common sense is sure leaning that way.

jbeletti

Sounds like you're gaining wisdom at a pretty fast rate. I think holding off, slowing it down is a great idea. You're going to need a lot of bananas :)

Bohemian

I wrote RAM about the RV height POI's being added to their NAV system. RAM forwarded the message to here maps that they get the map data from. They emailed me and said they would not give me the data format since they do not provide technical support for RAM and to contact me nearest dealer. So IMHO get a separate NAV for less money that you can program the Low clearances in to.

Get the RV model and you can rogram your width, height, weight, and it will also, keep you off od restricted roads and avoid other things that are hazards to towing.

My conversation with Ram CS lead to a promise that they would take this issue up to the product review committee. It also got me a gift of 4 free synthetic oil changes at the dealerships.

Bones

Some of the limitations on the truck has to deal with the tires capability to support the weight as well. That is why the dually can haul more. But I think this is true in most of the states. You can only haul up to 26k lbs on a standard license. After that you go commercial.

I really enjoyed this thread. :) Looking to buy a truck and Bighorn (our first RV). Researching the best truck size for a 42' 5th wheel.

MCTalley

Some of the limitations on the truck has to deal with the tires capability to support the weight as well. That is why the dually can haul more. But I think this is true in most of the states. You can only haul up to 26k lbs on a standard license. After that you go commercial.

You need a commercial license to haul around 26K+ for hire. In some states, you are required to get a non-commercial Class A license if you are hauling that much not for hire (TX and CA come to mind right off the top of my head).

MCTalley

I really enjoyed this thread. :) Looking to buy a truck and Bighorn (our first RV). Researching the best truck size for a 42' 5th wheel.

You will definitely want at least a 350/3500 (one ton truck). From there, the decision to go with single rear wheel or dual rear wheel diverges greatly. There are numerous threads here that discuss the pros and cons of each choice.

BLHFUN

You will definitely want at least a 350/3500 (one ton truck). From there, the decision to go with single rear wheel or dual rear wheel diverges greatly. There are numerous threads here that discuss the pros and cons of each choice.

42 foot......= DUALLY! You won't regret it!

Would this be your daily driver?

Kosanko

42' = 350/3500 Dually territory !!!, then you have the extra capacity to carry an auxiliary fuel tank and not max out with your pin weight, plus you could always move unto a 450 next year and an MDT the following year

OEFVET

42' = 350/3500 Dually territory !!!, then you have the extra capacity to carry an auxiliary fuel tank and not max out with your pin weight, plus you could always move unto a 450 next year and an MDT the following year

X2 Dually for sure! Kosanko has great points about pin weight and extra fuel tank.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would stay away from the "duelly" conversions. The seem to break the axles off at the hub. Seen too many of these come in on the hook. Either get a 350/3500 SRW or a DRW...don't waste your money on a conversion. Besides, the conversion costs more $$$ that just buying an OEM one.