My first Blowmax blowout: photo

I hate to admit it but it took me a long time to get a grip on the whole gain thing. I studied the subject and decided I would run at 6, but when I picked it up, the tech helped me hook up my rig, asked me what gain I thought I was going to run, I told him I was going to start at 6 and take it from there. He said that he delivers and that he runs at 4. I accepted that he knew what he was talking about. I got good breaking at 4, but clearly 6 to 8 was where I needed to be for solid breaking, Infact I was running at 7 when a road rager slammed on his brakes in front of an 18 wheeler in an attempt to kill us all. I almost rear ended the truck because of that. I got on my brakes at 65 MPH and was very proud about how that rig bleed off speed so well, I could not even tell that the rig was back there we stopped so quickly. But after a few more trips, I have discovered that I like 8 for all around driving. With these tires, I now I'm running 8 to 10. So its been a learning experience for me and I can't really state that I increased the gain because of the tires or because I'm more familiar with pulling the rig. But what I do know, is I had no problems on my last trip from San Antonio to Chama New Mexico, I pulled some good grades and descended them too, the truck and fiver worked well together. And from what I have gathered your you should not detect that the trailer is dragging the truck to a stop nor should the truck be stopping the trailer, I get that at 7, 8, 9, 10.

What was evident about the "BlowMax" change out is that tilt you get on a rough road where the rig seems to kind of bounce from one side to the other, is gone. Your suspension is handling your load not the soft sidewalls of your tires. So your control is positive and firm.

Then there is the MOMMA test. On our last 2500 mile adventure, momma commented that she noticed that her dishes seemed to stay put, which was a source of complaint from her previous to the change over.
I have pulled a lot of trailers but I don't have much experience with brake controllers, therefore my method is simple; at low speed I use the brake controller to slow down without using the TV brakes. I adjust the gain upwards until I judge that the trailer brakes are useful. I then make several test passes using the brakes normally and try to ascertain whether the trailer brakes are hitting before or harder than the TV brakes, in which case I adjust downward. When I had an aftermarket brake controller I would fiddle with the gain and the sensitivity, usually without ever getting it dialed in. But my last 2 tVs have been fords with the integrated brake controller, thus no sensitivity control. On both of these TVs pulling a little tiny 5er and now the giant Cyclone I have maxed out the gain and do not feel the trailer brakes are slowing the TV or indeed even working very hard at all. I have often wondered whether other Ford owners have had the same experience.

Jim.Allison

I get trailer braking all up and down the range, but below 4 there is nothing there. My RAM is integrated also. The owners manual on the RAM system tell you to just dial it in to 10 if you don't feel you are getting adequate braking. Right now I have the integrated braking system set to heavy and 8, I have no problems going to 10 if need be. With the exhaust brake, grades are easier to deal with.
I have pulled a lot of trailers but I don't have much experience with brake controllers, therefore my method is simple; at low speed I use the brake controller to slow down without using the TV brakes. I adjust the gain upwards until I judge that the trailer brakes are useful. I then make several test passes using the brakes normally and try to ascertain whether the trailer brakes are hitting before or harder than the TV brakes, in which case I adjust downward. When I had an aftermarket brake controller I would fiddle with the gain and the sensitivity, usually without ever getting it dialed in. But my last 2 tVs have been fords with the integrated brake controller, thus no sensitivity control. On both of these TVs pulling a little tiny 5er and now the giant Cyclone I have maxed out the gain and do not feel the trailer brakes are slowing the TV or indeed even working very hard at all. I have often wondered whether other Ford owners have had the same experience.

1_oldgoat

Has anyone noticed there are over 60 threads on "blowmax" tires on the forum?? I was so worried when i saw the first thread on the tire peoblem so i do check them every trip before we leave and every stop along the way to and from our destinations. I keep the pressure at 80psi, however i do normaly roll 70-75 mph and i know the tire is not rated for those speeds. This summer was our first with the new Gateway so i was more concerned with higher ambient temps and road temps, also driving over the pass's between Missoula and Spokane there are potholes big enough to swallow my truck so hitting those had me very worried with the hotter temps. So far no problems,
Does anyone know if Heartland has done any type of study on how many blowouts compared to how many tires are out there?? I would think if the tires were failing on a daily basis the company would do a change however there is a cost versus risk and if they have not changed vendors i would guess risk is low, otherwise they would have changed after the first incidents.
I worked in service depts for years and have seen issues with tires from every manufacture and experienced a tire seperation myself with a continental whild in arizona one summer, so it can and does happen with all brands, maybe some more than others but i do not know how many Heartland has installed and how many problems to come up with a percentage.
We bought our 2014 Gateway last November and have towed it well over 10k so far and do plan on changing tires out next summer, just because i suppose, no odd wear or sidewall problems i can see but for peace of mind more than anything. I have had other rv's and ended up replacing tires because of dry rot, not wear. As i said the tires on the Gateway look great, i have checked tire temp with a digital thermomiter and they are always within a few degrees of each other.
Not defending the tire here just stateing my experience so far and my habits while on the road. I do carry a portable compressor and 50 foot extension plug for 12 volts, it takes a while to get tires up to 80psi if they are down more than 15 psi but it does the job, i thinkni picked it up at costco for 49 bucks. Well worth the piece of mind that i can inflate if need be.
Just my 2 cents, i am sure Heartland is well aware of tire problems with the 60 plus threads concerning them and if there is a serious problem, as good od company like Heartland i believe would change manufactures if they believe ther is a real threat to lives from tires blowing out.
Marcus

danemayer

i do normaly roll 70-75 mph and i know the tire is not rated for those speeds.

Marcus,

My understanding is that if a tire is rated for max 65 mph, that means that up to 65 mph it can dissipate the heat that builds up from flexing the steel belts. Above 65 the heat is not all dissipated and internal temperature climbs, causing damage to the internal fibers of the tire. Damage is cumulative and irreversible.

That you haven't yet experienced a blowout might mean you are on borrowed time. And when one blows, the extra load on the surviving tire on that side will likely set you up for a 2nd failure very soon after.

If you're going to drive at 70-75, I suggest you switch to Goodyear G614s without delay. They are rated for 75 mph. You will have to verify that your wheels are rated for 110 psi / 3750 lbs. That info is stamped on the wheel but you have to look from under the trailer.

Jim.Allison

I have pulled at 70 on good road, but now I settle in for 65. even though I can now run safely (as far as tires are concerned) at 75 with the G114s.

I think the number one killer of Towmax tires is delivery drivers hitting 70-75 mph with only 70 psi. Then we, the consumers, inflate the tires properly and consider the tire good, and wonder why the tire fails at 65 mph and properly inflated. But in reality the tire was no good the day the tire was manufactured, and then it was abused when it was delivered. This is why some get more mileage than others, before a pop. But there are many that bought them aftermarket, and lost them within 500 to 2000 miles also.

I dont want to offend, but towing, with a towmax, at 75 is an accident waiting to happen. Your blowmaxes are walking dead as we speak.

HI,
I am a newbie owner(3weeks) of a used 2012 Cyclone 3800. My wife and I recently returned from a 2 day initial checkout trip and this morning I picked up the unit from storage to take it to the dealer to have a couple of minor warranty issues checked. I was about 15 miles into the 20 mile trip when the back right tire blew. This is also a 3 axle unit like conradsteph's. I was traveling less than 65 and had tire pressures ranging from 74 -78 on the six tires. I asked the the roadside assistance guy if he thought it might be dry rot, but he said no it had no visible cracks in side wall or tread and that it looked like simple belt break. After arriving home and doing more research it looks like a commoe problem for TowMax tires. I have had a recommendation by an acquaintance to use Michelin but i am reading a lot of good things about Goodyear 614's. FYI at the time of this pop the unit was empty- no cargo, no clothes or food or fluids. Although I intend to haul my Harley as soon as i get more familiar with it.
Looks like i'll be buying 6-7 new tires asap.
Any suggestions for good tire deals in Central Florida or web would be appreciated.
Joe

Here's an update.
I picked up the trailer from the dealer intending to buy 6 new tires as soon as the trailer was safely in the storage lot. Knowing that I had **** for tires, I started toward home (20 miles), keeping the speed under 60. Less than 5 miles from the dealer another **** blew taking out the other side of the trailer.
I now have 6 new Goodyears and am finishing the fender and skin repairs on both sides of my rig.
Being cautious, running correct tire pressures, measuring sidewall temps and going less than the rated speed, with an empty, unloaded trailer, did not keep me safe.
These tires didnt blow out the sidewall from heat or flexing. They had separated belts and blew out through the the tread.
If you believe good maintenance or cautious driving will keep you form having one of these blow out, all i can say is good luck with that.
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim.Allison

I think the consensus is that Heartland needs to seek another supplier of tires for their rigs. I hope they would just do a search of this forum to see how many have lost tires at less than 2000 miles. That should convince them.

It would be nice if they would train their sales staff to offer the G614 as a option. It was available to me, but I was thinking about too many things to see that as an option. I could have been convinced, if it would have been explained to me by a professional.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think the consensus is that Heartland needs to seek another supplier of tires for their rigs. I hope they would just do a search of this forum to see how many have lost tires at less than 2000 miles. That should convince them.

It would be nice if they would train their sales staff to offer the G614 as a option. It was available to me, but I was thinking about too many things to see that as an option. I could have been convinced, if it would have been explained to me by a professional.

Ironically, when we bought our Trail Runner, not only did the dealership brag about the good tires that was supplied on the trailer, but the Heartland Trail Runner brochure stated that Heartland "didn't skimp" on the tires.

Not once were we ever offered the opportunity to upgrade to a better tire.

Almost seems like they made an effort for us NOT to upgrade.

It came with, and still has the Blowmaxes on it, although I will say that with around 4000 miles on them, they still look like brand new!

I plan to replace them during the off season.

Jim.Allison

I don't trust the towmax for any trailer but you can probably get buy with them for a little while, they seem to pop right away on the fivers. You will probably be able to find a good set of LTs for your rig that will last forever. A new kid on the block might be the Firestone Transforce HT. Got a great price and load rating too.

Ironically, when we bought our Trail Runner, not only did the dealership brag about the good tires that was supplied on the trailer, but the Heartland Trail Runner brochure stated that Heartland "didn't skimp" on the tires.

Not once were we ever offered the opportunity to upgrade to a better tire.

Almost seems like they made an effort for us NOT to upgrade.

It came with, and still has the Blowmaxes on it, although I will say that with around 4000 miles on them, they still look like brand new!

I plan to replace them during the off season.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't trust the towmax for any trailer but you can probably get buy with them for a little while, they seem to pop right away on the fivers. You will probably be able to find a good set of LTs for your rig that will last forever. A new kid on the block might be the Firestone Transforce HT. Got a great price and load rating too.

My new truck has the Firestone Transforce HT tires on it and so far I like them.

I am considering getting those for the trailer, although they are only offered in one size of 15" tire.

My trailer has 205/15's and the Transforce HT's only come in 235/15.

caissiel

Go for it and you will not regret doing it. Did the same on previous unit and they were still great after 7 years.

mobilcastle

I think a trailer more than 10K should have LT's on it. It just seems to me that over 10K is where you see the most blowouts. BigHorns now come with Salions as they use to about 5 years back-how many blowouts do read about from years past? You don't read about any blowouts running them. The Lanmarks have gone to 17.5 Goodyears and I have not read about any blowouts from that tire. All I can say running the Sailons on my rig that are over 30K is that I never think about a tire blowout and I have never read about a Sailon blowing out. I have no interest in the company that builds them other than a consumer. I guarantee you if they are available when I buy new tires they will be on my rig. Mine are 5 years old and look like new with no cracks around the rim. Put on a set and forget about tire problems and go camping.http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think a trailer more than 10K should have LT's on it. It just seems to me that over 10K is where you see the most blowouts. BigHorns now come with Salions as they use to about 5 years back-how many blowouts do read about from years past? You don't read about any blowouts running them. The Lanmarks have gone to 17.5 Goodyears and I have not read about any blowouts from that tire. All I can say running the Sailons on my rig that are over 30K is that I never think about a tire blowout and I have never read about a Sailon blowing out. I have no interest in the company that builds them other than a consumer. I guarantee you if they are available when I buy new tires they will be on my rig. Mine are 5 years old and look like new with no cracks around the rim. Put on a set and forget about tire problems and go camping.http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

Sometimes there is quite a bit of misinformation on the forum as it is opinion rather than fact. Our 2013 Landmark San Antonio came with Goodyear 16" G614s. We changed them out at our own expense as soon as we got home to the 17.5" Goodyears. Also speed ratings on tires are for a constant speed. If you pass someone or are going downhill and the rig momentarily gets to 75mph and then you slow it right down there probably is no harm done. However if you drive at a constant speed of 75mph on a 65 mph rated tire damage probably will be done. Keep in mind all tires sold in the US must meet required safety standards and the failure of a tire is a factor of many things not just the brand of the tire. That said, some brands have a higher failure rate than others. To be the safest, my recommendation is to keep the tire properly inflated, do not exceed the speed rating of the tire,avoid hitting curbs and potholes, and get your rig weighed so you do not exceed the load rating. My tire expert (has been selling tires for over 20 years) recommends all trailer tires be changed out at 3 years regardless of the way they look. Good luck and travel safe.

Jim.Allison

I would love to be standing by to buy a new set of G614 takeoffs. And I would change tire dealers if he even tried to make me think I needed to change a tire every 3 years regardless of mileage and condition. And If I would have weighed my rig before panicking, I would have installed G614 rather than the G114s.

I still advocate the G114 as the ultimate in eliminating tire problems on large 5th wheel trailers, but doing the math the G614 would have done the job also. As far as the Towmax is concerned, it was an inferior tire the day it was manufactured. When I weighed, I found out that I was under 3000 lbs per tire, the Towmax was rated for 3520 and did not blow because of being overloaded as Towmax stated. All that was needed was a quality tire and a good margin. The G614 at 3750 would have been it. Its a lighter tire, easier to deal with in all aspects, completely capable and the carcass is durable enough to retread. I dont know if I would retread a set, but fleet people do.

Cheap tires are more expensive than quality tires in the end. Once you step out of the cheap chinese tires and into the world of quality tires which are mostly American made, you step into a whole new world of performance. If you do lose a Goodyear G614, or a 114 it is likely that it is not a manufacturing defect or performance defect but more likely something we fiver drivers are doing, its easy to forget when we likely damaged a tire, many time the blowout happens on a subsequent trip. No tire is immune from a blowout from a defect, all we can do is try to eliminate the possibility of it. Goodyear is good about backing their product, if it is a manufacturing defect they have been known to pay for the damage. And I bet that they have paid out a lot for abused tires along the way.

1_oldgoat

Dan,
Thank you for your advise, i do appreciate and value your opinoions, i am looking at tires now and plan on having a new set installed before next summer.
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Jim,
No offence taken, Dans advice has been most valued and appreciated this past year, i am tire shoping now, because of his and your post following myine where i stated i normaly roll 70-75. Was just puting my two cents in and my experience so far along with driving habits.. Thanks
While researching tires, its interesting to see a difference in speed rateings between auto and rv tires. The Goodyear G 614 on an auto tire site says the R in tire size stands for a speed rateing of 106mph rv tire rateings say 75mph, i found something on a national tire store website that says the towmax has the same rateing as the goodyear as well as the Sailun tires but a different ply rateing as well as a huge difference in weight. Posting a interesting blurb i found on the towmax tires as well here. Again not promoting anything, just posting something i found while looking at tires. Also the ST on the towmax or any other brand stands for special tire......Screenshot_2014-09-28-17-32-53-1.jpg
Marcus

Last edited:

1_oldgoat

Jim, i edited my last post so hopefuly that helps eleminate and confusion i may have caused you, just meant to say thank you for your input if it was intended for me and i was not offended in any way because of it if it was.....
Marcus

mobilcastle

Sometimes there is quite a bit of misinformation on the forum as it is opinion rather than fact. Our 2013 Landmark San Antonio came with Goodyear 16" G614s. We changed them out at our own expense as soon as we got home to the 17.5" Goodyears. Also speed ratings on tires are for a constant speed. If you pass someone or are going downhill and the rig momentarily gets to 75mph and then you slow it right down there probably is no harm done. However if you drive at a constant speed of 75mph on a 65 mph rated tire damage probably will be done. Keep in mind all tires sold in the US must meet required safety standards and the failure of a tire is a factor of many things not just the brand of the tire. That said, some brands have a higher failure rate than others. To be the safest, my recommendation is to keep the tire properly inflated, do not exceed the speed rating of the tire,avoid hitting curbs and potholes, and get your rig weighed so you do not exceed the load rating. My tire expert (has been selling tires for over 20 years) recommends all trailer tires be changed out at 3 years regardless of the way they look. Good luck and travel safe.
I stand corrected in reference to Landmark and 17.5" Goodyear tires coming from the factory on Landmarks. I read it somewhere and I should have verified it.

[h=2]Re: G rated tires[/h]

//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Gaffer //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
What is the factory currently shipping in the way of G rated tires? Are they still Goodyear?

Always confirm with your dealer before placing an order, but yes, last I knew, we continue to ship all Landmarks with Goodyear G614 load range G tires - with one current exception. I believe the Landmark Newport ships with Goodyear G114 load range H tires.

When you upgrade to a G rated tire on a Bighorn for example, yes, they should be Goodyear G614, but again, confirm with your dealer prior to ordering.​

Jim Beletti
Director of Owner Interests
Heartland RVs

I always say each to his own-good luck with whatever you run when it comes tires.

Last edited: