N Scale Model Railroad Build

dewwood

Mike,

Looks like you are all ready for a relaxing evening. Good luck with the project and your health. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Dewey

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Thanks Dewey, All the best to you and your's over the holidays and for years to come.

OK everyone,

Now that Mama ain't talking to ya cause ya decorated her expensive hardwood or laminate living room floor with styrofoam and firewood it's time to get her talking to you again.

Assemble and solder the track on her marble tile countertop. I garaunteeeeeeee she'll say something. This step took me a bit longer than it would with new track because I had to desolder and clean up most of the old track I used.
IMG00595-20101224-1805.jpg

Now pick up the mess in the living room and slide the track onto the foam. Pin it loosly in place, mark it and elevate it about an inch.
IMG00599-20101224-1820.jpg

Make sure you mark where the points (moving parts) of the turn out are. You DON'T want glue here.
IMG00597-20101224-1820.jpg

Spread a thin bead of the construction adhesive where you marked the track and press and pin it into place. Time now for some more groceries. Once dry all you have to do is wire it up and run trains. You can paint and add scenery as budget and time allows.
IMG00601-20101224-1832.jpg

IMG00605-20101224-1832.jpg

pmmjarrett

Now you can put a little paint on it to cover up the blue foam and it's ready for grass or whatever.
IMG00608-20101224-1940.jpg

Punch a hole on each side of the tracks at a rail joiner and route the wiring.
IMG00611-20101224-1940.jpg

Tin the wires and solder them to the rail joiners and tuck them in flush. A littl ebit of paint and some ballast will hide them. Now your ready to clean the track, hook up the power pack and run trains.
IMG00612-20101224-1954.jpg

Here she is. The Bachmann Spectrum N scale C&O H4 2-6-6-2. Pretty smooth runner, I definatly want to put some bullfrog snot on the drivers. Been running for over an hour now and is getting smoother and quieter as it breaks in. Wish they had a Microtrains coupler on the front instead of the small dummy coupler. Would be nice to double head these on a long coal drag without hacking an M/T coupler on them.

Here are the Athearn BNSF SD75s pulling the track cleaning car as well as a few other cars. They run well but don't really like the 11" radius curves much.

pmmjarrett

Good news

Finally found a section of Micro Engineering #11-112 code 55 bridge flex track at Mainline Hobby Supply in Blue Ridge Summit, PA. They showed it in stock so I called before submiting an order online. She found it and said she only had one, I told her to keep it out because I was punching the last button to order it. Hope to see it soon.

Waiting on 2 Atlas 2051 #5 code 55 right turnouts I ordered that will complete the track I need and I'm waiting for some cut stone bridge abutments and retaining walls I ordered so I can finish up the foam and plaster cloth work at the bridge locations without having to cut into the plaster cloth to correct it when I install the bridges.

Need to get my hind parts out of the recliner and away from blasting Zombies on the Xbox and get as much done on the big layout as I can while waiting for this stuff to arrive.

pmmjarrett

Well I managed to pry my 4th point of contact out of the recliner today and get something done.

The plaster cloth is done as far as possible until I get 2 more rolls of plaster cloth and the bridge abutments come in so I can trim the foam risers a for a good fit. While I wait I can smooth a few areas, paint some of the layout with earth undercoat and lay some more of the track.

I really need to get my good camera out.
IMG00630-20101229-1725.jpg

You can see the area for the waterfall take shape in the background.
IMG00627-20101229-1725.jpg

Area where town will go.
IMG00633-20101229-1726.jpg

Part of the river bed.
IMG00635-20101229-1726.jpg

2 plate girder bridges will be crossing the river here.
IMG00638-20101229-1727.jpg

A plate girder over the river and a through truss over some trackage cross here.
IMG00640-20101229-1727.jpg

pmmjarrett

I found my old Olympus C765 Ultra zoom digital cam and charger. Need to get a couple new batteries at Radio Shack for it though. Here's a few better pics.

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Dug a few rocks off an old module. Might go ahead and install and color a few rocks and a couple tunnel portals tomorrow.
P1010011.jpg

P1010009.jpg

pmmjarrett

The old camera takes a lot better pics than my Blackberry, especially close up detail pics.

P1010015.jpg

P1010002.jpg

p1010004.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010018.jpg

The End
P1010025.jpg

Last edited:

pmmjarrett

That last photo screams "give me z-scale couplers..." LOL

Looks like your having a blast.

LOL, Yea it is.

Actually been thinking about body mounting a few cars with some Micro-Trains assembled 905 body mount Z scale couplers to test them. I ain't even going to try and assemble the 903 Z couplers. Was barely able to assemble 1015 N scale couplers years ago.

And to think Rapido couplers, way too high ride height and wide out of gauge pizza cutter wheels used to be the standard. The side by side comparison is sickening.
P10100022.jpg

P10100052.jpg

pmmjarrett

So much for painting a bit while I wait. The 2 code 55 right hand turnouts, bridge abutments, retaining walls and Micro Engineering bridge flex track all came in today so I'm all over the place test fitting, experimenting and trimming today.

Remember the paper track template I said to save? Time to get it out one last time.

Lay it out and pin it down.
P1010016.jpg

Trim it and mark the center line of the track a section at a time. Remember to mark the location of the turnouts as you go.
P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

Set the turnouts in place and mark the locations of the throw bars and ground throws. The extra holes in the throw bar are an experiment to change the location of the Caboose Industries ground throws for clearance reasons. I experimented on a Left turnout which is easy to get and not the right turnouts that are back ordered everywhere. Hole drilled with a pin vise, be careful to keep it centered or you'll ruin the throw bar.
P1010034.jpg

Also had to modify the ground throw connector to use the inside pin to bring them even closer to the turnout.
P1010032.jpg

Nice and close to the turnout. No clearance issues for my layout.
P1010019.jpg

It ain't in the ditch anymore either.
P1010020.jpg

Unmodified throw in standard location vs modified throw in approximate location.
P1010023.jpg

P1010029.jpg

pmmjarrett

Playing with the bridge abutments and retaining walls a bit too.

All 8 bridge abutments survived but the US postal service gorilla managed to break 12 of the 18 sections of retaining wall which were individually wrapped in foam sheet, packaged together in bundles of 6 and packed neatly in a nice sturdy box filled with shredded paper, like a moonshiner would pack mason jars in sawdust. At least they all have one clean break and can be nicely glued back together.

P1010041.jpg

p1010044.jpg

Heavy modifications to fit the abutments for the bridges at the back of the layout. I can finish the plaster cloth in this area now.
P1010047.jpg

P1010049.jpg

pmmjarrett

Not a whole lot done today. Decided to do some minor surgery to an area that I really wasn't liking the look of, so the retaining walls and rock faces look better on the front portion of the layout. I want to have 2 rows of retaining wall stepped from the lower level to the upper level.

I hacked out a portion of the plaster cloth, removed some paper wads and put in a piece of 1/2" foam sheet that I had been using for a cutting board for the plaster cloth which is why it looks so cut and beat up. The Tunnel portals, retaining walls and rocks fit much better now.

Need to put a little plaster cloth over it to finish it up.
P1010050.jpg

P1010052.jpg

p1010051.jpg

And for anyone brave enough to venture into my mind...... Here's what I'm thinking.

kidwtrucksmiley.gif

pc310053.jpg

PC310057.jpg

pmmjarrett

Thank you.

I was a little bored after killing Zombies for a bit so I went ahead and put a little plaster cloth on it. Now it's ready to install the portals, retaining walls and rocks when the cloth dries. I like this much better.
PC310063.jpg

pc310065.jpg

dewwood

Looking good on the build. Hope you had a Happy Holiday Season. I am not unafraid to venture most anywhere but I am having trouble following the convolutions of which you speak.

pmmjarrett

Installed most of the foam track roadbed today. I still have a couple small spots I need to finish up laying down plaster cloth. Getting real close to laying track. We won't be looking at the Snowy White Plaster Mountains much longer.

P1020087.jpg

P1020083.jpg

P1020091.jpg

Buford445

Installed most of the foam track roadbed today. I still have a couple small spots I need to finish up laying down plaster cloth. Getting real close to laying track. We won't be looking at the Snowy White Plaster Mountains much longer.

Why It reminds me of Michigan :p

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What a nice job you are doing.
We went yesteray to a "G" gauge model train showing and it was fun. Hubbie came home and spend many hours researching them. Hum - wonder how that will fit in the coach????