New 2017 super duty numbers....DROOL!!

Sniper

I want it now !!!!
I would have paid full MSRP if I had to.
My point was the dealer did have some price breaks on a brand new redesigned 2017 ford trucks.
There are some better deals on the 2016's right now that for sure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
OK OK OK! So will my B&W Companion fit right in to these with the factory 5th wheel/goose neck prep package? I need to hear: "No. You will need a new 5th wheel". I'm dying over here! LOL :cool:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You know what I think it might not. I think the ball hole is round I'll have to look and see. I'm sure B&W will come up with a adapter ASAP

IronJ

The ford gooseball is different than the b $w shank...

B&W makes the puck system for the factory prep....

Ask me how I know...I have both...installed the turnover companion mount in srw...then. bought the dually with Factory prep...no go..

BUT.....you can just buy the bottom portion from B&W and use the head off your turnover companion....those parts are the same...

The new 17 dually I just looked at "appeared" to have the same puck type mounting system as the 2016...but I didn't measure

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Bones

OK OK OK! So will my B&W Companion fit right in to these with the factory 5th wheel/goose neck prep package? I need to hear: "No. You will need a new 5th wheel". I'm dying over here! LOL :cool:

You just put on a new pin box!!!!!

alwaysbusy

I live in PA and have to ask why you are registering your SRW 350 for that much weight? The truck can only gross out at 10 or 11k......that should be your reg, not gross combination weight. You're throwing away a lot of cash or no reason. Take a look at that before you renew.

Hi agpopp,
I think I can help you out on your question. Title 75 in PA can be very hard to understand as it can be confusing. Unbeknownst to many campers, most are driving both improperly registered and licensed. If a trailer is over 10k, the TV must be registered for total combination weight. If the GCVWR is 26k+, the driver MUST possess a non-commercial Class A CDL. If the GCVWR is 17k+, the TV falls under bi-annual inspection requirements. RV's are not excluded from these laws. All in all, it's a croc and a major money making scam IMO.

Bones

Hi agpopp,
I think I can help you out on your question. Title 75 in PA can be very hard to understand as it can be confusing. Unbeknownst to many campers, most are driving both improperly registered and licensed. If a trailer is over 10k, the TV must be registered for total combination weight. If the GCVWR is 26k+, the driver MUST possess a non-commercial Class A CDL. If the GCVWR is 17k+, the TV falls under bi-annual inspection requirements. RV's are not excluded from these laws. All in all, it's a croc and a major money making scam IMO.

Thats PA for you. I loved their yearly inspection. My one car would fail every year.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I live in PA and have to ask why you are registering your SRW 350 for that much weight? The truck can only gross out at 10 or 11k......that should be your reg, not gross combination weight. You're throwing away a lot of cash or no reason. Take a look at that before you renew.

Hi agpopp,

Thats PA for you. I loved their yearly inspection. My one car would fail every year.

I didn't want to get into the details of why I registered my truck with a combo tag, but alwaysbusy is correct. I will add though there are several formulas that can be calculated so mine is an "8" not a "9" so I'm under 26K. Otherwise I need a Class A CDL. I figure I'll stay within the parameters of the law. Something bad/fatal happens and you get some ambulance chasing lawyer up your @$$ that picks up your improperly registered, won't matter if the truck can do the job, you're in court and broke before you would know it!!!!

Bones, I need 2 annual inspections since the truck is registered for over 17K.

It's all about fee income for the Commonwealth!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

agpopp

Hi agpopp,

I have a class a commercial CDL, and work for a semi major construction company and many of the vehicles tow over 10k on a regular basis. None of these vehicles have yellow PA cab cards or get bi-annual inspections except the vehicles that are registered over 26k gvw, which is dictated by the manufacturers tag on the door. Even if you were somehow driving an f750, all of these rules go out the window when you are non commercial private owner, including crossing the scales. Unless these rules have suddenly changed, which I plan to read up on.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Truck- 9000 lbs
Trailer- 15000 lbs
Combined- 24000lbs

So, what weight class should I be??

agpopp

Truck- 9000 lbs
Trailer- 15000 lbs
Combined- 24000lbs

So, what weight class should I be??

I plan to read up on it, but you should be registered for the truck gross weight only. I can tell you this for now, inspections are only need to be semiannual if you are over 17k gross vehicle weight, not gross combo weight.

agpopp

I think what's confusing everyone on this issue is that we are using light duty trucks to haul non commercially. These PA laws all cite "truck tractors" and those are specially manufactured vehicles designed to only tow trailers (think every tractor trailer you have very seen). And yes, truck tractors would be registered as a combination as that is its natural duty, and if you would do this to your truck it would be expected that you remove the bed and only carry a hitch on the frame rails (like a hot shot driver would).

At any rate, you all should have class a non commercial cdl's if you're pulling over 10k. But I don't care fo you do or not as they basically ask if you feel you can handle the truck and stamp the licence.

Last edited:

agpopp

Just got off the phone with the PA State police vehicle enforcement 9/12/2016 @ 1:30 PM You can reach them at 717-346-7347. And as I thought, we are all EXEMPT from any combination registration and semi-annual inspections except standard vehicle (PA class 4 or so depending on truck) and your basic trailer weight. I was told that it's not a bad idea to go in the scales when flashing, just in case they think you are a transporter, but I would personally skip it if it looks busy. (years ago was told to not go through before all of the hot shots got popular) I would rather see you guys carry the proper licence than worry about the registration- since there is now a NON-CDL Class A and B in PA. If you caused a wreck I think improper licensing would trump any registration issue.
God luck whatever you choose- and sorry to semi-hijack!

Mburtsvt

So... on another note: I was in Spokane over the weekend. A ford dealer, (started with a W) had a 2017 F250 - King Ranch.

After the test drive I composed a memo that the ram division needs to sent to Fiat (FCA) ASAP.

Dear Fiat:
Just drove the new Ford HD Truck.

WE HAVE A BIG PROBLEM.

Signed - Ram Division.

SNOKING

So... on another note: I was in Spokane over the weekend. A ford dealer, (started with a W) had a 2017 F250 - King Ranch.

After the test drive I composed a memo that the ram division needs to sent to Fiat (FCA) ASAP.

Dear Fiat:
Just drove the new Ford HD Truck.

WE HAVE A BIG PROBLEM.

Signed - Ram Division.

So you did that without know what RAM has planned for 2017 and the planned new releases in 2018(1500)/2019(2500/3500)? No wonder we have truck wars.

I assume you have your new 2017 Ford ordered. Chris

avvidclif

While having my oil changed yesterday I browsed the new 2017 F350 Duallys. While a nice looking truck I said no way. It wasn't the price. The tailgate on an FX4 Lariat Package was >5' high. I didn't have a tape measure but I'm 5'11" and the tailgate was just under my chin. I commented to the salesman about the height and how it would be hard to get my 5er level with it that high and he said the bed wasn't higher but was deeper and that's why the tailgate was so high. I didn't really measure the bed depth but that, if true, just makes it worse. My DW could not look into the bed from the side where she normally reaches over and gets out the blocks as it was abt eyeball level and she's 5'4". On my RV, sitting level in my driveway, the front overhang is 4'10" high.

Nope, no way. Until they wake up and realize I don't want a step ladder to get in I'll stick with the older stuff....

I would like to hear from someone who actually has one and how the hitch setup went.

alexb2000

While having my oil changed yesterday I browsed the new 2017 F350 Duallys. While a nice looking truck I said no way. It wasn't the price. The tailgate on an FX4 Lariat Package was >5' high. I didn't have a tape measure but I'm 5'11" and the tailgate was just under my chin. I commented to the salesman about the height and how it would be hard to get my 5er level with it that high and he said the bed wasn't higher but was deeper and that's why the tailgate was so high. I didn't really measure the bed depth but that, if true, just makes it worse. My DW could not look into the bed from the side where she normally reaches over and gets out the blocks as it was abt eyeball level and she's 5'4". On my RV, sitting level in my driveway, the front overhang is 4'10" high.

Nope, no way. Until they wake up and realize I don't want a step ladder to get in I'll stick with the older stuff....

I would like to hear from someone who actually has one and how the hitch setup went.

I have to agree, just like you I was just at the Ford dealer when a 2017 F250 pulled up in the service drive and I was blown away by the height. I am 6'1" and I thought, no way I could use that bed. Higher walls on the box might hold more, but if you can't reach in and get anything it isn't much good.

I predict a boom market for flatbeds and/or AMP steps in the near future.

Actually made me happy I bought a 16.

One last thought, this is the same mistake Toyota made with a deep box on their half tons. Style taking priority over function is never a good idea in a truck.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The bed is 1.1" deeper on the 2017
e089539edb7ba37dff7f37b2682d34d6.jpg

a14ab343b2817949ee26015ee1535925.jpg

IronJ

I get comments all the time about how I "messed up the usefulness of my truck lifting it...

I have the amp steps which make getting in EASIER than it was stock ad the steps come down lower, have way more traction and and way wider.

I also have the amp mid step so I can easily reach in and hook/unhook trailer.

The tailgate step is a lil higher but I'm 5'6 and don't have an issue...

Now mines is 5" higher than stock(and that's bed height not tailgate) and with my b and w and pin box adjusted I sit exactly 1.1 inches nose high with the air bags making the truck 100% level...without the bags aired it's actually nose low!..

For some people the tall truck isn't thier cup of tea and I understand that....my older mother at 4"9 does have to stretch to get in...but then again my 36" tall 3yr old can scramble in faster than you can tell her no....

But as to 5th wheel I don't see a problem getting them level if you have adjustability in your pin or hitch....

Unless your trailer is one that rides very low then maybe??

I don't see big 1 ton trucks getting any smaller in the future, so we all betterearn to deal or put lowering kits on...lol...

Hopefully by the time I'm too old to climb this mountain of a truck I will have one with full airbags and adjustable ride height!! Haha

On another note I have had a chance to crawl all over a new one as my builder has one in the shop they are prepping for the Sema show...frame is differnt but the majority off suspension components don't look changed much...

avvidclif

I get comments all the time about how I "messed up the usefulness of my truck lifting it...

I have the amp steps which make getting in EASIER than it was stock ad the steps come down lower, have way more traction and and way wider.

I also have the amp mid step so I can easily reach in and hook/unhook trailer.

The tailgate step is a lil higher but I'm 5'6 and don't have an issue...

Now mines is 5" higher than stock(and that's bed height not tailgate) and with my b and w and pin box adjusted I sit exactly 1.1 inches nose high with the air bags making the truck 100% level...without the bags aired it's actually nose low!..

For some people the tall truck isn't thier cup of tea and I understand that....my older mother at 4"9 does have to stretch to get in...but then again my 36" tall 3yr old can scramble in faster than you can tell her no....

But as to 5th wheel I don't see a problem getting them level if you have adjustability in your pin or hitch....

Unless your trailer is one that rides very low then maybe??

I don't see big 1 ton trucks getting any smaller in the future, so we all betterearn to deal or put lowering kits on...lol...

Hopefully by the time I'm too old to climb this mountain of a truck I will have one with full airbags and adjustable ride height!! Haha

On another note I have had a chance to crawl all over a new one as my builder has one in the shop they are prepping for the Sema show...frame is differnt but the majority off suspension components don't look changed much...

Did you ever see a Cyclone that sit low? The bed on my 2009 is ~5" lower than the 2017, mines same as a 2015 dually all unloaded

- - - Updated - - -

Oh the box on the 2009 is 20.5" deep and the 2017 is 21.1".