New 4200 with ice maker

jimandjean

As noted in a separate post, we have taken delivery on our new 4200.

It came with the inverter generator and icemaker. Under the sink is a valve that connects the pex line to the icemaker line and the compression fitting leaks like a sieve. Dealership could not get it to stop with the parts that they had, and I am several states away from home so we had to get moving. Leak is coming right from where the compression seat is
70efcc61cac692fd2c9e2fa0b93a065b.jpg

Any suggestions on how to repair this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hopefully you've already closed the cutoff valve to stop the leak.

As long at the cutoff valve works, you should be able to disconnect the poly line and replace the fittings. They're generally available at hardware stores, although not necessarily at the first store you try.

If the leak is actually at the cutoff valve, you can probably find that at many hardware stores also. Pex tubing is easy to work with. If you can find a Sharkbite valve, it'll slip right onto the pex after cutting out the old valve (make a straight cut with no rough edges). If you can't find a Sharkbite, you may need to crimp a valve into place which requires a Pex crimping tool - also available at hardware stores.

jimandjean

Yes - donut shaped sleeve. Not sure if the sleeve is bad - is that an item available at HD or Lowes. Really don't want to have to cut off the pex side - I don't have a pex compression tool.

jimandjean

Hopefully you've already closed the cutoff valve to stop the leak.

As long at the cutoff valve works, you should be able to disconnect the poly line and replace the fittings. They're generally available at hardware stores, although not necessarily at the first store you try.

If the leak is actually at the cutoff valve, you can probably find that at many hardware stores also. Pex tubing is easy to work with. If you can find a Sharkbite valve, it'll slip right onto the pex after cutting out the old valve (make a straight cut with no rough edges). If you can't find a Sharkbite, you may need to crimp a valve into place which requires a Pex crimping tool - also available at hardware stores.

The valve works fine - all shut off and good to go. Now I just want to fix it. I'll run down to lowes later today and see what I can acquire.

danemayer

All those parts are pretty readily available. The only problem I run into is that stores don't always maintain good inventory levels. And some stores have better parts selections that others. You might disconnect the compression fitting from the cutoff valve, cut the poly line, and take the bad parts with you to get new ones that match.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, the way I've always measured the success of plumbing jobs is by the number of trips to the store. If I get it done with one trip, I'm feeling pretty good. Two trips is common. And...

jimandjean

So Dan - didn't get to fix the ice maker issue cause the shiny new RV started filling the underbelly corollary w water. So I started disassembling the underbelly in the 95 d FL heat. And the trap for the rear bath was leaking like crazy. It will do that if its not connected ;-/

Quick (two) trips to Lowes and put it all back together working. Guess per the Dan Scale of plumbing repairs I get a "pretty good"

danemayer

Quick (two) trips to Lowes and put it all back together working. Guess per the Dan Scale of plumbing repairs I get a "pretty good"

I used to live in South Florida and as I remember, the other metric was the number of beers consumed.:)