New axle

MC9

I talked with a couple of alignment people and they indicated with the thin wall tube in oem axles they usually had to replace instead of bending back into shape. Since a new axle is only 125 bucks and an alignment is about 200 plus buying a new axle I ordered a new axle. Came in this afternoon, ordered Mon. and today is Wed. (fast service Lippert) Imagine my surprise as I took off the tires to start the changeover to discover the rear shackle had no nut on the shackle bolt. I wonder where between Michigan and Tucson I would be sitting beside the road.

jpajax

The bolt is suppose to have a knurled portion that goes into the shackle that is to keep it from turning that in turn will back off the nut. Before you put another nut on you need to check to see if the bushing in the leaf spring is wore out that would let the bolt too turn and and destroy the knurl. Or it could have been left off or just come off but it would worth the time and effort to take a look or it could happen again.

lwmcguir

Wet bolts as the many threads have stated is the way to go if you tow over a few hundred miles. These light weight nylon bushings are going to last 5,000 miles if you are lucky. You do have to be careful not to twist the shackle bolt in the hanger and destroy the fit that keeps the bolt from turning. If you do then you have to weld on a new hanger. The Nuts are lock nuts so they shouldn't have backed off the shackle bolt.

MC9

I do have wet bolts. Apparently the nut had not been off long because the knurl on the shackle bolt was still holding. Now I have to find a new nut and maybe some spares. I accidently gave away my old ones with my old hitch. I do have a good feeling about the new axle.

jpajax

If you can't find any nylock nuts you might want to put on some blue locktite. I think that a new axle is a good way to go. If you re bend or stretch metal it has a tendency to weaken it. Just my 25 cents inflation you know.

lwmcguir

Any trailer supply store has all the repair part you can imagine. They are all over the midwest. You can purchase the lock nuts and shackles separatey. Locktite works well also. dont over torque/tighten up the shackle to much. you have to leave clearance between the spring eye and the hanger so it can move freely.

MC9

Update: We are now in Marathon,TX. The new tires seem to be wearing evenly. So, I guess changing the axle and putting on new Transforce HT tires was the right thing to do. But, with new tires with lots of tread on the Truck and trailer I am getting lousy gas mileage. Maybe I should have bought those trailer tires with the thin tread. LOL

caissiel

The threads do not look to agressive, I would make sure the pressures were at max for the wheels up to 80 PSI

MC9

Believe me I don't do aggresive. The TPMS has been reading 92# at 78 degrees. I put in a new air filter and hosed down the MAF sensor before we left MI. Running about 62-63 mph. Even though I could run 100 with these tires.