New Bighorn Floor Plans?

StrongJava

After some months of looking, I think we've decided for now to stay in our '08 Bighorn. For any Heartland employees reading this, I'll say again that if the 3760EL had the desk/tv layout of our 3670RL, we'd probably be buying a new coach. But, spending all that money to settle on a floor plan isn't worth it.

I've seen other say that new floor plans are announced in the March/April timeframe. Am I correct in assuming that has already happened for 2016?

I've also heard that some manufacturers announce major changes in the fall. Will Heartland be announcing any new floor plans this year?

Thanks.

Tim

StrongJava

Re: New Floor Plans?

Basically I agree. But, if I was buying a new one, I'd like to see the six-point stabilizers, a bigger pantry, storage under the bed, a bigger closet, better AC, and of course all the other things that come with new RVs.

kowAlski631

Ours has all that. Guess the options changed between yours and ours. Closet and pantry may not be larger, but we're happy with the size.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders

We liked the floor plan of our '08 3055RL and when we bought our '15 3260EL, it was because it had a similar layout with the large windows and dinette on the off door side and the large window in the rear. I really wanted to by a Landmark from RVs for less but Landmark did not have that layout. I think Heartland stopped making the 3260 shortly after we ordered ours. The last that I checked HL does not have a plan like we want on any unit. I guess we will keep ours for a long time and hope they offer one in the future.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Just wait! We had the ElkRidge 34QSRL which was a slightly smaller version of the 3670RL.

I feel your pain, waiting for the right plan to come along. We went into the Big Country 4010RD and decided one couch can come out and become an office area with a desk. Nancy and Dave, North Texas Chapter Leaders, did the same in their new Big Horn 3970RD, but took it a step further and used a actual countertop and wood cabinetry, stained to match their rig.

We now have more space in every area of our rig, and didn't sacrifice an office space.

StrongJava

Thanks Erika. I've looked at your mods, and like them. We'd have to make a decision to go larger than 41', and we're just not there yet.

<rant>
The sad thing, imo, is that all the RVs seem to be nearly the same today. Coaches with full-size couches and large recliners centered around a massive 55" TV. But wait, that isn't enough! Let's put a TV in the kitchen, and the bedroom, and one or two outside. Ok, I get that many people want that and I won't go into the discussion about how they shouldn't.

We (especially SWMBO) follow several blogs, and talk with other RVers. It seems the number of younger full-timers, especially in the technology fields, working nomadically is growing. Sure, we watch a little TV but it is one of the first things that could go and not bother us. Some say picking an RV is a choice about what you can live without.

Sigh.
</rant>

I feel better now. Thanks. :rolleyes:

p.s., I tried the wrap my 2nd and 3rd paragraphs in "rant' tags, but the forum site remove them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Thanks Erika. I've looked at your mods, and like them. We'd have to make a decision to go larger than 41', and we're just not there yet.

<rant>
The sad thing, imo, is that all the RVs seem to be nearly the same today. Coaches with full-size couches and large recliners centered around a massive 55" TV. But wait, that isn't enough! Let's put a TV in the kitchen, and the bedroom, and one or two outside. Ok, I get that many people want that and I won't go into the discussion about how they shouldn't.

We (especially SWMBO) follow several blogs, and talk with other RVers. It seems the number of younger full-timers, especially in the technology fields, working nomadically is growing. Sure, we watch a little TV but it is one of the first things that could go and not bother us. Some say picking an RV is a choice about what you can live without.

Sigh.
</rant>

I feel better now. Thanks. :rolleyes:

p.s., I tried the wrap my 2nd and 3rd paragraphs in "rant' tags, but the forum site remove them.

So what you are really saying is this . . . you really don't need to upgrade to a new trailer!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

<rant>
The sad thing, imo, is that all the RVs seem to be nearly the same today. Coaches with full-size couches and large recliners centered around a massive 55" TV. But wait, that isn't enough! Let's put a TV in the kitchen, and the bedroom, and one or two outside. Ok, I get that many people want that and I won't go into the discussion about how they shouldn't.</rant>

Couldn't agree more..........four televisions in 41' seems a bit much to us. Although TV's themselves have come along way I just don't understand the affection for the programming nowadays. It's wasted space as far as we are concerned.

We wouldn't mind up-grading and gaining some of the features that weren't available when we bought our's but nothing out there really floating our boats.

StrongJava

Need is a strong word, for sure.

The problem is how much money I've spent on this 2008 due to repairs, and on things I didn't think I'd have to repair. I'm pretty handy, so I've done most of it myself.

We bought this used which sometimes works out, and sometimes doesn't. In this case, I don't feel it did. I've done enough research, and have had good enough responsiveness from Heartland, to not give up on the brand. We still need to replace the toilet (2x replacing the seal has not stopped the water from leaking out of the bowl) and potentially the awning which is worn through and may start tearing soon. Our weight is leading me towards wanting a better suspension and pin box. I may have a small leak with the water pump. I know one of the gray tank valves leaks by. Etc.

So, yeah, I don't need a new trailer, but I also don't want to significantly more money on repairs to one this old. I've tallied up what I've spent over the past 15 months. It would have been cheaper to have been making payments on a new one, by a lot!

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

@codycarver: kowAlski631 got me thinking that a newer 3670RL might be something I could look into. However, we're also of the opinion that sucking up the depreciation in exchange for the warranty is worth it, unless maybe I did a private sale where the seller could give me the entire repair and maintenance history. My trust in dealers is very low.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
New Floor Plans?

The problem with used is that you can never be sure how someone took care of it and used it.

Even though we took great care of our 2010 rig with maintenance and upgrades to better-than-new in many areas, it showed its age, and stuff just happens. There were some things that we were not willing to invest in to only have it another 1-2 years. If we did, we probably wouldn't get return on our investment. For example, the difference in paint where the frame flex repairs were done in 2012 was starting to become noticeable. Our second round of decals failed like the first, tarnishing and peeling over time.

With our new rig, I can honestly say it seems to be better built than our previous one. Not perfect, but better.

Yes, we'll be making mods and upgrades again, to make it better than new. But that's ok, I love living here.
b59b0bf92649dc966277934238acebbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

The way I look at it is this . . .

When we traded in our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner for our 2015 Heartland Prowler . . . the new owner of our Trail Runner got the better deal than we did when we traded it in!

It was on their lot less than two days before it sold . . . (probably because we dropped the money into it to make it usable)!

We dropped $3000 on getting it fixed to manufacturers specs one week before we traded it in at a loss to us to make it sellable . . .

Our dealership for the new trailer told us that had we not had the two year old trailer fixed that they would not have even taken it in as a trade in . . .

I don't care what anyone says here . . . but when you buy a brand new trailer, make sure you are going to try it out first thing when you buy it as that one year manufacturers warranty runs out much faster than you might think it does.

And most dealerships will screw you when it comes to fixing said warranty issues (don't ask me how I know this - other than I've been screwed big time!) . . .

caissiel

I stop looking at newer layouts years ago. They are all for the bling and our 2009 unit layout has been changed and no units can compare.
we are set for the long run and every repairs I do myself are for 15 years ownership. Like the previous SOB. So far the repairs have been more then the previous one, but still they are well done for longevity.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

TimJ

We purchased a new Bighorn Oct 2015 with the front living room and love the new layout. Plenty of room for the whole family to visit. Made two trips from Ohio to Colorado within 6 months and had some issues but so far the manufacturer has backed up their warranty and made good on repairs. Our past two rigs..Terry 1994 and 2004..were purchased used and still in great shape so we never anticipated a new one needing repairs. As long as Heartland continues to provide outstanding customer support and stand by their product we are satisfied. Looking forward to becoming full time rv'ers in this model soon. It's a beautiful and comfortable rig.

danemayer

We purchased a new Bighorn Oct 2015 with the front living room and love the new layout. Plenty of room for the whole family to visit. Made two trips from Ohio to Colorado within 6 months and had some issues but so far the manufacturer has backed up their warranty and made good on repairs. Our past two rigs..Terry 1994 and 2004..were purchased used and still in great shape so we never anticipated a new one needing repairs. As long as Heartland continues to provide outstanding customer support and stand by their product we are satisfied. Looking forward to becoming full time rv'ers in this model soon. It's a beautiful and comfortable rig.

Hi TimJ,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for sharing.

BusManRG

So when DO they usually make new floor plans available? ideas? And possible changes to the options list?

StrongJava

@BusManRG, As best I can tell, March/April and in the fall. It appears to be a twice a year kind of thing, and it doesn't appear as structured as with automobile manufacturers.

danemayer

Model years generally flip around March/April. New floor plans can arrive through the year, but if I remember correctly, they're often initially showcased for dealers in late Summer and for the public starting in the early Fall. Production start dates vary, but I'd think most floor plans shown to dealers late last Summer would be available now. Product changes on what's standard and what's optional, and other things, can occur all through the year.

There have been a number of recent posts about people taking delivery on 2017 models.