New Bighorn Owner 2006 3500RL........Questions

Hello Everyone,

Have been an avid camper for years and have finally stepped up to the 5er club. We recently bought a used 2006BH 3500RL. We absolutely love our "new" fifth wheel and are looking forward to doing some travelling. I do have a couple questions.....First, My 3500RL appears to still have original tires Mission 235/80/16 10 ply load range E. I am replacing them on Monday with new Goodyears same ply and load rating. Question is do wheel bearings typically have bearing buddies or do I have to repack. Leaving next Sunday on a 700 mile trip and have no idea on history of service. Both my previous Sprinters had them so I'm hoping. Second question, my FW does not appear to be draining properly. Turned the valves to draining position in UDC and doesn't appear to drain water out....Any suggestions? Looking forward to a long career in my BH.

Thanks,

jimtoo

Hi Tom and Beth,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Yes, replace the tires with a good USA made tire. And the wheel bearings I would pull the wheel and hub, clean and inspect the bearings and repack by hand the old fashion way. Most folks over grease with the grease gun with the bearing buddies or what ever and end up getting the grease on the brake shoes.

I'm not sure what you mean by not draining properly.. waste tank, gray tanks, or draining the freshwater tank. Give us a little more info on that please.

Also think of joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending a rally in your area or where ever you are and the national next year also.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

olcoon

Just a thought on the bearings. After we had our Elk Ridge for a year (we bought it new), I decided to have the bearings packed. When I picked it up the guy in charge of the shop kind of munched on my posterior because he thought I'd used a grease gun & put too much grease in the hubs, causing it to come out the back seals & it got into the brakes. I told him that the last person that had touched the hubs & bearings was the guy who installed them at the factory. They are a good idea, but you can't beat taking the bearings out, cleaning everything, then repacking them.

Im talking about draining the freshwater tank. There are valves in the UDC which show 2 pics, one for normal operation and the other for draining freshwater tank. I set them to drain and the tank was still 2/3 full when I got home and was not draining.

Fair enough on taking them apart. Was just kinda tight on time this week and hoped I could just get some grease to them before I left. Don't wanna spin a bearing on my first trip ya know??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, since you don't have time right now, at least use the easy lube feature you should have available. Remove a center cap from the wheel and you'll see a rubber plug in the hub cap. You should be turning the wheel when adding grease this way and don't over do it. Since you don't know the history, as others have said, you should inspect and repack as needed.
Regarding the fresh water tank, there should be a single drain valve just in front of the off door side tires about 18" in from the side of the trailer. It hangs down a few inches. This still may not totally empty the tank. If I need to drain our tank I leave it open while traveling. Another good way is to run the water pump and open a fixture.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Im talking about draining the freshwater tank. There are valves in the UDC which show 2 pics, one for normal operation and the other for draining freshwater tank. I set them to drain and the tank was still 2/3 full when I got home and was not draining.

The drain system in the UDC is for use with your water pump on ,I seldom use this feature. If you look underneath the rig closer to your other tank drains you will see a lone plastic pipe with a drain fitting turn this on and watch the water flow.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Tom and Beth,

Allow me to welcome you both to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a VERY active Owners group both here digitally and out in the real world too. I will Echo Jim M's Suggestion that you Join the Heartland Owners club and Join in with any of our Rallies that are held from coast to coast in the US and Canada. We have just recently formed a Massachusetts chapter and are currently planning for our first Rally. Check out the Rally list on the right hand side of the portal home page.

There are a lot of owners here with deep knowledge of the Heartland products and are very willing to answer questions and help you get the most out of your new home on wheels. Check out the tools Tab for HUG ( Heartland User Guides ) and HOM ( Heartland Owner Manuals ). Some of these are direct from the vendors/manufactures and others have been written and maintained by some of the Club Members.

Again Welcome and I hope to have an opportunity to meet you both down the road.

Kevin Barrett

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The drain system in the UDC is for use with your water pump on ,I seldom use this feature.

I've been meaning to take a picture of our older docking systems to point out the valve for this but never seem to get a round tuit.
In our 2007 Bighorn, while looking into the docking center, there are two valves in the lower left corner. The valve on the right can be used to drain the system with the pump.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, here's your round tuit.
No more excuses!

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 50