No bad news....

oscar

So often, and for all the right reasons, the questions and problems posed on this forum are negative.

So, just to remember that the vast majority of owners have a pleasant experience here is mine today.

A short 325 miles from one end of PA to the other. Tires running anywhere from 8 to 18 above ambient. Highest temp seen was 100º, with ambient being 82+ Not bad.

Minimal movement of stuff in the camper. Considering some of the PA roads we were on that is quite amazing.

Nothing like a fuel stop, pull forward to a parking spot, crank the genny, pop the main slides turn on the AC and have a civilized lunch.

Had to really force myself not to let it run.... 65-70 is my rule. Real easy to get over that......MUST RESIST.

just under 8mpg in the Chevy. Not great, but considering the hills on the PA turnpike to be expected.

Got to where we were going, leveled, plugged in, popped the slides and sitting here in civilized comfort with a cold one and the rain pouring down....
As the wife says....:"It's another good night not to be in a tent....."

We are really enjoying this camper.

That's all for now.

olcoon

We can relate with you on the tent & rain. We went from a tent to a 5th wheel. Everytime we are out & it's raining we say to each other "sure glad we aren't in a tent"!

VKTalley

We can relate with you on the tent & rain. We went from a tent to a 5th wheel. Everytime we are out & it's raining we say to each other "sure glad we aren't in a tent"!

I second that, Roy and Sally!!! We "graduated" from a 10-man tent to our BIg Country. I don't miss being in the tent in the rain either, i greatly enjoy listening to it on the roof of my BC.

happykraut

We tented for over 30 years and then went to a fifth wheel. Now we are on our fifth fiver. Thinking back when we were purchasing our first one, I remember telling the salesman that we probably won't even cook in it and that we just wanted something to get us out of the rain. 16 years later, I can't even picture myself making a dumb statement like that. My how times change.

FiremanBill

I'm liking this post a lot also.

We have been out in our new Cyclone three times now and each time it just gets better and better. Getting more comfortably pulling hte heavier trailer, my old sob wasu nder 10k so had to get used to this one. It pulls amazingly well.

Last trip put we made more use of the garage than ever before. Had a couple of very nice cool evenings sitting in the "screened in patio" with the ramp down and neighbors walking by chatting us up. Played some games with our "grown" kids and just sat there thinking how cool life is.

Great times!

scottyb

Good post Oscar. I'm with you on the civilized lunch. It seemed to slowly sink in, the fact that we could do that. However, I am not ready to give up the tent yet, just how we get there.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 95

Kbvols

Slept in tent two times...first time 98deg's 98% humidity and one heck of a storm never again...well never is a long time...15 yrs later tent on Motorcycle trip 95 deg and a guy with security light on fith wheel so brite in tent we could sleep all night. No more tenting for me!! Call me a sissy or whatever been called worse but no more tent. RV's are way to go!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Good post Oscar. I'm with you on the civilized lunch. It seemed to slowly sink in, the fact that we could do that. However, I am not ready to give up the tent yet, just how we get there.

Looks like a fun rafting trip. In my mind, I would still like to enjoy that type of adventure. We used to love canoeing. A 20 mile paddle with an overnight stay on shore in northern WI was an annual event years ago. During the summer we went on many weekend bike trips towing a little cargo trailer and tented. I still have my Thermorest.:eek:
Today, my body & knees would be in pain for days. I'm likin the fiver these days. My paddling is around a pool with the grandkids.:cool:

scottyb

Looks like a fun rafting trip. In my mind, I would still like to enjoy that type of adventure. We used to love canoeing. A 20 mile paddle with an overnight stay on shore in northern WI was an annual event years ago. During the summer we went on many weekend bike trips towing a little cargo trailer and tented. I still have my Thermorest.:eek:
Today, my body & knees would be in pain for days. I'm likin the fiver these days. My paddling is around a pool with the grandkids.:cool:

Ray, I understand totally. I have to say that after 14 nights on the ground in the Grand Canyon, something had to change. I have migrated above the ground now, into a hammock (not your typical backyard hammock). It has extended my hiking, backpacking, and whitewater rafting for a few more years. No more crawling around on the ground to get in and out of tents. It's the next best thing to sleeping in the Cyclone.

oscar

Ac going, legs up on the recliner, home brew in hand, computer in my lap.....trying to work up the energy to do something.....anything. Nah, don't bother.

scottyb

So agree! The only good time to be in a tent is at the circus....

I wouldn't go that far. These modified versions sleep pretty well, parked next to a nice gentle class II rapid. The beverages are served at 42 degrees (river temp), and the white noise will drown out even the hardiest snoring.

Attachments

• 97.jpg
    97.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 72

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have had a great trip also since we Karen and Dan's on 2013-07-10 we have been to Chatham MI, Copper Harbor MI, Ontonagon MI, South Range WI, Bemidji MN, Jamestown ND, and at Medora ND to today 7/25/2013 1051 miles and no problems. The trailer road well, truck ran well. I like to travel at about 63/65 mph but when crusing along I would look down and we were creeping up to about 72mph. Speed limit in ND is 75mph.

We are also enjoying our trailer and the traveling along God's Highways. Couldn't believe all the round bales of hay here in ND. Plan to be in Great Falls MT on Monday for a week to get our mail.

Hope everyone travels safe and has a great time.

BC