No brakes on 2015 Heartland Sequoia

Curt_Hinson

Long story short. Had to maneuver around in a truck stop with a sharp turn to the left. My cable from truck to camper evidently got caught on the side of the truck. The turn was sharp enough that it bent the junction box under the hitch. I didn't know anything was wrong until I got a message "Check trailer wiring". I stopped and sure enough, my cable was dragging. I started the remainder of my trip from Gulfport, MS to Vinton RV, Vinton, LA. Raining like **** so had to drive slow. It finally dawned on me that I had no brake assist from the trailer. I finally made it to Vinton RV. Naturally, no help on Saturday or Sunday. I opened the junction box and pulled the cables out. To my surprise, the dark blue wire for the trailer brakes was just hanging there and certainly appeared to be broken off. There was a yellow wire hanging, but discovered that it was for the aux terminal. The problem is that I can't find anyplace that the broken blue wire came from going on into the camper. Does anyone have an idea what wire to connect to so that I will have brakes. There is a light blue wire, but that comes from the breakaway switch. I do not believe the dark blue wire connects to that one.

Curt

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can't help too much but I am in the swla area and I know a good mobile repair guy if you need one. Btw what do you think about that park? In another life it was a koa but has not been one in 20 years or so. Let me know next time you are in area and I can point out some nice parks to stay in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Do you have a multimeter? and I'm assuming that the blue wire is on the cable side. Not the trailer side. Check continuity between the blue wire and the truck ground. If the wire in question is a trailer wire then check continuity with the wire with the chassis of the trailer. Make sure all fuses are functional.

IF it is not a ground wire then set the multimeter to DC Volts and start checking for voltage when the headlights, brake lights, signals etc are activated.

You will find it with a multimeter. Keep in mind that it may have never gone anywhere.

Long story short. Had to maneuver around in a truck stop with a sharp turn to the left. My cable from truck to camper evidently got caught on the side of the truck. The turn was sharp enough that it bent the junction box under the hitch. I didn't know anything was wrong until I got a message "Check trailer wiring". I stopped and sure enough, my cable was dragging. I started the remainder of my trip from Gulfport, MS to Vinton RV, Vinton, LA. Raining like **** so had to drive slow. It finally dawned on me that I had no brake assist from the trailer. I finally made it to Vinton RV. Naturally, no help on Saturday or Sunday. I opened the junction box and pulled the cables out. To my surprise, the dark blue wire for the trailer brakes was just hanging there and certainly appeared to be broken off. There was a yellow wire hanging, but discovered that it was for the aux terminal. The problem is that I can't find anyplace that the broken blue wire came from going on into the camper. Does anyone have an idea what wire to connect to so that I will have brakes. There is a light blue wire, but that comes from the breakaway switch. I do not believe the dark blue wire connects to that one.

Curt

jimtoo

Do you have a multimeter? and I'm assuming that the blue wire is on the cable side. Not the trailer side. Check continuity between the blue wire and the truck ground. If the wire in question is a trailer wire then check continuity with the wire with the chassis of the trailer. Make sure all fuses are functional.

IF it is not a ground wire then set the multimeter to DC Volts and start checking for voltage when the headlights, brake lights, signals etc are activated.

You will find it with a multimeter. Keep in mind that it may have never gone anywhere.

Did you check the wiring diagram info I posted above? Blue is not a ground wire. White is the common ground wire color.

Curt_Hinson

Can't help too much but I am in the swla area and I know a good mobile repair guy if you need one. Btw what do you think about that park? In another life it was a koa but has not been one in 20 years or so. Let me know next time you are in area and I can point out some nice parks to stay in.

Thanks Jassson. I am positive that I will need a mobile repair guy. The dark blue wire is hanging free at the junction box on the camper hitch, not at the connection to the truck. If you could provide me with his phone number, I will contact him. I have to drive to Lake Charles just to make a phone call with my Verizon phones, but my jetpack seems to do OK. Taking my truck in Monday morning to have it checked out for blown fuses or whatever and to have the right front light replaced. I have to get out of here and get to San Marcos, TX, but I refuse to drive around or thru Houston with no brakes on the camper.

Thanks Curt

Curt_Hinson

Check this wiring diagram out. I think this is what you need.

Jim M
Thanks Jim for the diagrams. I had already downloaded much of it. The main problem as I see it right now is that everything seems to be OK (I think) up to the junction box under the hitch. I pulled the wires out of the junction box and the first thing I see is the dark blue wire and a yellow wire hanging down. The blue wire appears to be cut or snapped off. The yellow wire appears to have never been used (the Aux wire). I can't find where the blue wire came from. There are two light blue wires wire nutted together, but I believe that they are the break-away switch wires and I do not believe the dark blue wire goes with them. Tomorrow, I can break the wiring down completely (description, not physical). Monday, I intend to take my truck to a GMC dealer and have the brake controller completely checked out and a headlight replaced. If it ain't one dang thang, it's another.

Thanks Curt

jassson007

Sure his name is David and his number is 337-496-5172. Tell him Andy Grimes recommended you to call him.
As far as your phone goes you should have coverage right there on the interstate. Verizon is decent around here. Instead of coming back this way go west towards orange tx and you should get a signal faster though. You are only 5 miles from the state line. As far as your truck goes, there is a GMC and a Chevy dealer in sulphur and both are good people. Allstar is the gmc and they are on hwy 90 and the Chevy is billy Navarre. He is at the 2nd exit off I 10 in sulphur, for both of them take that exit and turn north.

Curt_Hinson

Thanks Jim for the reply. I would never go anywhere with my multimeter or 12V light tester. The problem apparently lies in the junction box where the main cable and the trailer wiring are connected together. The dark blue wire is simply hanging from the end of the cable that attached to the truck. A continuity check confirmed that it is the correct wire, but I just don't know where it is attached at that point. There is no wire that I can find leaving the junction box that is colored dark blue or no other wire that appears broken.

Thanks Curt

jassson007

Just a note as I see you do want a gmc dealer. Use same directions I provided above and go through 2 red lights. At 3rd red light turn left onto hwy 90 there will be a rite aid on your right. About a mile west is the Gmc dealer on your right (north) side of hwy 90

Curt_Hinson

Did you check the wiring diagram info I posted above? Blue is not a ground wire. White is the common ground wire color.
Jim, I totally understand that the common is white. There are about four white wires nutted together. I also know that the dark blue wire from the cable that plugs into the truck and goes to the electrical circuit box bolted to the underside of the hitch is the brake wire. The problem is that I can't determine which wire from there it is to be connected to. There are no other loose wires to consider. If the end of the dark blue wire was stripped, I would assume that it pulled out of one of the other wire nuts, but it has a clean end with about two strands sticking out of the end about 1/16 inch as in broken. The only other wire that is hanging loose is the Aux (yellow) wire and it is obvious that it was never wired.

Thanks Curt

Curt_Hinson

Just a note as I see you do want a gmc dealer. Use same directions I provided above and go through 2 red lights. At 3rd red light turn left onto hwy 90 there will be a rite aid on your right. About a mile west is the Gmc dealer on your right (north) side of hwy 90

Jassson, I don't know how they are here in LA, but in AL a Chevy dealer will not touch a GMC and vice versa. I will be going to the GMC dealer and I can't thank you enough for the information. Do you think I would be able to call him tomorrow evening (Sunday) before he gets busy with everything else on Monday. I would rather be here when (and if) he responds, but I won't be if I take the truck in.

Thanks Curt

jassson007

Jassson, I don't know how they are here in LA, but in AL a Chevy dealer will not touch a GMC and vice versa. I will be going to the GMC dealer and I can't thank you enough for the information. Do you think I would be able to call him tomorrow evening (Sunday) before he gets busy with everything else on Monday. I would rather be here when (and if) he responds, but I won't be if I take the truck in.

Thanks Curt

Yeah give him a call around lunch time tomorrow and leave him a msg if he doesn't answer. He is good about returning calls. Make sure he knows you are passing through too.

I would not think it would be a problem with the dealers but I don't know as I have a ford and they surely won't touch mine...lol. Good luck. I would offer to meet you for lunch Monday but I have to be in Beaumont all day.

Curt_Hinson

Yeah give him a call around lunch time tomorrow and leave him a msg if he doesn't answer. He is good about returning calls. Make sure he knows you are passing through too.

I would not think it would be a problem with the dealers but I don't know as I have a ford and they surely won't touch mine...lol. Good luck. I would offer to meet you for lunch Monday but I have to be in Beaumont all day.

Will do and BTW, should you have time, could stop off and have a cup of coffee. I can't offer much else right now except maybe buy you and the significant other dinner tomorrow night if you aren't too far away.

Curt

jassson007

Will do and BTW, should you have time, could stop off and have a cup of coffee. I can't offer much else right now except maybe buy you and the significant other dinner tomorrow night if you aren't too far away.

Curt

Appreciate the offer. I am not sure what we have going tomorrow. Need to wash truck and trailer both. Started last weekend with roof but have not finished rest of it.

Let me know what he says on getting out to you.

Curt_Hinson

Check this wiring diagram out. I think this is what you need.

Jim M
Jim, please forgive me. I kept looking at the circular pinouts trying to figure out how to work this thing. I just sat and read the entire document after printing it out, and the replacing the harness (which I ignored since I did not want to replace it) showed a connection of "Blue to Blue to Blue". Right now there are two light blue wires connected together. One of the wires obviously goes to the break-away switch, the other obviously goes back into the overhang of the trailer. Since there are only two wires there, could I make an assumption the the free hanging dark blue wire from the cable to the truck would be the third "blue" as described above. I would have tried it, but feared that it would cause the break-away switch to activate when I applied the brakes.

Thanks Curt

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
All the blue wires connect together.
If you pull the wire nut off the remaining blue wires you should see where the other broke or pulled out.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not able to edit my last post due to my internet, or lack of, connection, I have to make another post here.You are correct, blue, blue and blue.One blue from the truck, one from the breakaway and the third goes to the brake magnets.PeaceDave

Jim.Allison

Yes, I agree. But I would get deeper into it with a multimeter to verify.

But if the drawing is accurate, the 7 pin blue (wire from the truck) should be tied in to the blue wire leading from the breakaway box. According to the drawing it must be that way.

Dont move it until you are sure. Multimeter $10 bucks lowes....... 60 bucks for digital. Southwire available at lowes in electric department is quality, even their $10 analog is better.

Thanks Curt[/QUOTE]

Curt_Hinson

Jassson, I forgot to mention that "if all goes better than it has", I hope to return this way from San Marcos, TX in two to three weeks. The way it looks, it might take me that long to get out there. As for the CG, I have stayed here before and they have about 5 nice pads in front of the office, but she put me behind the office on a concrete pad. The problem is that it rained for 40 days and nights yesterday and the pad I am on is only as wide as the camper. Mud every where. There is absolutely no signal at this CG regarding Verizon. I would "REALLY APPRECIATE A BETTER CG" on my return trip.

Many thanks Curt