Norcold Won't Re-light on LP

TravisJen

Hey guys, this was our first weekend with our new Torque 321 and had problems with the fridge all weekend. We expected there to be air in the lines so we fired up everything (water heater, stove, fridge) and had to switch the fridge from "off" to "gas" a couple of times but it lit. All was good and cold then we walked in the trailer later the day and the two LEDs were flashing. So we switched it "off" to "gas" and it took a couple of tries but re-lit. This continued everyday for 4 days. Any ideas why this thing won't re-light on it's own. I checked for kinked lines under the slide but all looks well.

danemayer

Hi TravisJen,

It could be a problem requiring adjustment of the gas valve or burner on the refrigerator - which you'd need a certified tech to do. But with propane issues, it's more likely to be a problem with marginal gas flow. You'll want to eliminate possible problems with pigtails or regulators. Try switching the regulator to draw from the other propane tank and turn the first one off. If it's still has problems, swap the tanks and see if it gets better. If it's cool enough, try out the furnace - it's the most demanding propane appliance and if you have marginal flow, it usually shows up clearly on the furnace.

TravisJen

I figured it would be something that I'd have to take it to the dealer for. I'm trying to avoid that since it's an hour drive. We used the furnace for a couple of nights (threw way more heat than I thought it would). It definitely seems like a supply problem, you can see (and hear) a little pop of flame but it won't stay lit. Could old propane be an issue? The tanks were filled when we bought the unit and have no idea how old the gas is.

danemayer

Probably not old propane. If the furnace runs ok, that localizes the problem to the frig. If the burner is lighting, the direct spark ignition is probably ok. If the propane flow through the coach is ok, but frig's burner flame is low, it might be a problem with the frig gas valve.

After the burner lights, there's a sensor that determines if ignition succeeded. If the flame is low, for whatever reason, it might not be enough flame for the sensor to think it's on - that would trigger a shutdown, probably within 30 seconds.

wdk450

I figured it would be something that I'd have to take it to the dealer for. I'm trying to avoid that since it's an hour drive. We used the furnace for a couple of nights (threw way more heat than I thought it would). It definitely seems like a supply problem, you can see (and hear) a little pop of flame but it won't stay lit. Could old propane be an issue? The tanks were filled when we bought the unit and have no idea how old the gas is.

TravisJen:
I have never heard of "old propane" being a problem. The first thing you normally check with propane appliance problems is the pressure out of the tank regulator, but like Danemeyer said, the furnace is usually a good barometer of propane system regulated pressure. I am thinking that (unfortunately) debris in water lines (from the assembly line) has been a problem with most all RV's over the years - this may have happened to the propane line for your refrig., and it needs to be opened up and blown out with compressed air. There is also the propane solenoid valve, and the circuit board that drives it, as possibilities.

Do you have an independent RV servicer closer to you than your dealer? You can use ANY RV servicer you choose for warranty service, just phone Heartland service prior to the service being performed. Heartland also keeps a list of 3rd party servicers they have had good results with in most areas. Heartland will NOT pay the travel charge for mobile RV servicers.

TravisJen

We do have an RV shop in town here but when we bought our unit, the dealer said it MUST be brought to them for anything within the first year. Have you guys done differently without problems?

danemayer

We do have an RV shop in town here but when we bought our unit, the dealer said it MUST be brought to them for anything within the first year. Have you guys done differently without problems?
Not sure what your dealer could have meant by "MUST." If you were on a trip 1500 miles from home and had a serious problem with the brakes, what would they expect you to do?

The only real issue is that to get warranty coverage from Heartland, you have to get prior approval to use the RV shop in town - and that only because you don't know if Heartland recognizes them as a qualified servicer. Heartland is generally pretty flexible in this area.

And I don't see any reason to mention it if you are ever back at the original dealer. If they ask about it, you can explain that the situation didn't allow you to return it to them.

wdk450

Payment for warranty service comes from Heartland, not from the local dealer. The ability to use any 3rd party servicer you choose for warranty has been a Heartland policy (and Feature) for the 5 years I have owned my rig. Call Heartland service if there is any doubt.