Onan genset on cyclone 4200

Storm1972

Seem to be having and issue with our cyclone 4200, came equipped with the Onan 5500 generator but the gen keeps tossing a code after I am able to get it started. Error code 36, it has a total of 2.5 hours on it and has done it since we took possession of it from the dealer. I did manage to get it running last weekend for an hour and then I shut it down thinking it fixed itself . Tried today and it did start but shuts down after about 30 seconds and haven't been able to get it to start since. Tank is full of fuel, oil is right at full , doesn't appear to be flooding . Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim-Lynn

If convenient I would go, or call the dealer. I have the same and it will run all day. Do you know what the error code 36is? You count also call the manufacturer & see what they say. Might be an easy fix.
good luck.
jim

danemayer

It's easy to misread the blinking lights and come up with the wrong code, but assuming you have it right, #36 is shown as:

ENGINE STOPPED FAULT—CODE NO. 36
(Engine stopped without command by controller)
Corrective Action:
1. Gasoline Models – Check and fill the fuel tank, as necessary. (Note: The genset fuel pickup tube
is probably higher up in the fuel tank than the vehicle engine pickup.)
2. Low Pressure LPG Models – Check and fill the LPG container, as necessary. On cold days the LPG
container may have to be kept at least half full to provide the rate of vaporization necessary to keep
up with the genset fuel demand.
3. High Pressure LPG Models – Check and fill the LPG container, as necessary, and drain the genset
LPG system of oil that may have migrated from the supply system (Item 5, Page 13). Make sure to
re-close the drain valve.
4. Secure the spark plug leads on the spark plugs (Page 20).
5. Replace the spark plugs (Page 20).
6. Service the air cleaner (Page 19).
7. Check for mechanical damage.

Storm1972

Yeah kinda checked all that out, the genser has 3 hours on it everything is new, tank is full of fuel

avvidclif

Mine did the same thing but I'm not sure about the error code (OldTimers). I took it to a Cummin service center and they repaired it under warranty (3 yr BTW). It was a plug that was loose and making contact sometimes. IF you look at the generator where the On/Off switches are on the rear of that control box is a plug to the generator and it was half seated. They reseated it and all was well. It's not readily visible.

Storm1972

Is anyone able to clarify where the fuel pump may be located on a 2015 cyclone 4200with the Onan 5500?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Is anyone able to clarify where the fuel pump may be located on a 2015 cyclone 4200with the Onan 5500?

On our 2012 the fuel pump and inline filter are visible through a hole seen from under the trailer on the left side (circuit breaker side) of the generator.

Securityman

Hey storm , mine just started doing the same thing today 2.8 hours on it , the fuel is low , but not empty , going to fill tomorrow and see if it's any change . I am getting code 36 also , going to check plugs and spark plugs and the other plug they say might not be seated and see if that's it . Also my transfer switch started acting crazy today to flipping back and fourth clicking sound from the relay about 8 times then I shut it all down , and started it up again and the transfer switch was ok , I hope that's not about to fail next !!

danemayer

my transfer switch started acting crazy today to flipping back and fourth clicking sound from the relay about 8 times then I shut it all down , and started it up again and the transfer switch was ok , I hope that's not about to fail next !!
The transfer switch contactors operate when 120V AC is provided on the L1 leg. If L1 drops to around 105V, the contactors will drop to protect you from low voltage. If the voltage fluctuates between 104 and 106, the transfer switch contactors will close and open and close and open.

The transfer switch is designed to wait about 30 seconds when power is applied from the generator to allow the voltage to stabilize. But if you have a generator problem, it may not stabilize even after 30 seconds.