Options? Suggestions welcomed

We're getting ready to order a bighorn 3570rs and have been reading the forum for about 3 months to see what the owners like, dislike, etc. We have come up with a list of desired options but wanted to ask for opinions before ordering. Here's our rather lengthy list:

G614 tires
5th Airbourne pin (will probably have to do this separately)
6 point auto level system
power cord reel
Yeti winter package
dual pane windows
4 door fridge
2 fold up chairs
electric fireplace
2nd ducted A/C
32" bedroom TV
safe

We will be retiring and going full time in the fall so want to make the right choices the first time. We also plan to use a B&W hitch for our 350 dually long bed truck.

Have I missed anything? Have I understood the general consensus of what Heartland users feel are good options for their units? Any comments are welcomed.

aatauses

Consider a center point suspension system--we put one on after purchase and it has been great.
al

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks like you have it pretty much covered unless you want exterior paint, or a generator.

HL also installed a Trailaire pinbox for us, which has worked perfectly

We also got full-auto Fantastic Fans in the remaining vents. Trace

Gizzy

Good choice on the 5th Airborne pinbox. I ordered mine and had it shipped to my dealer who installed it (free) before I took delivery. Perhaps you could do the same. I ordered mine from Tweetys (over two yrs ago).

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Consider the central vacuum and I believe you can get the Rieco correct track system from the factory. As after market installs definitely consider a disc brake upgrade.

Enjoy your new Bighorn and be sure to take advantage of your free one year introductory offer to the Heatland owners club

MTPockets

Bike hitch receiver? - I would call Lippert and ask what they offer. heartland at first would not put one on my Big Horn, but after talking to Lippert, Heartland said OK and I got a 1 1/4" receiver.... I think it's too flimsey and the 2" would have been a better, stiffer piece, but it's Lipperts call, so that's why i suggest talking to them if you want the hitch.

back2nature

I'm sure you're list would be similar to most people's want list too. I will just give my two cents on one item there.

The electric fireplace. We love ours and use it constantly, especially since it's cooler weather. Right now, we leave it on most of the day and night. It really cuts down on our propane usage, we hardly use that at all. We add one other small space heater to move around and it keeps us toasty in around freezing nights.

We wouldn't be without it. And it looks pretty too.

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

K

karykatz

Both bighorn and Landmark are being built (starting 8/21/2012) with brackets attached to the frame that allow the 1 1/4" accessory reciever from Lippert to be added. This is now a factory option on both products.

I hope this helps.

Wharton

We had our dealer install cutoff valves for the kitchen sink and bathroom lavatory. Also installed a digital thermostat(we did). Went after market for a Morryde IS suspension and are considering disk brakes. Had 2 coax run so we could use non-SWM Direct TV and just take along our home unit. See if Heartland will install Seelevel tank sensors, what they put in is junk.

Squatty

Scorekeeper,
You might also want to consider upgrading the main AC unit to a unit with heat pump. Between the electric fireplace and the heat pump, we've survived 28 degree nights without needing the "blow tourch" furnace.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Something else I thought of is an EMS (electrical management system) they are available as hard wire or plug in at the pedestal. A must have in my onion.

K

karykatz

heat pump option. All bighorns and landmarks can be ordered from factory with heat pump option. this is an unpublished option, so make sure you get with your dealers when ordering.

sengli

We have a brand new 3260, and I can personally attest that the factory installed bike hitch 1-1/4" is way to weak to trust. It flexes when bikes are mounted to it too much. Ours failed the first day we tried to use it. Save your money on that option!

Gaffer

Both bighorn and Landmark are being built (starting 8/21/2012) with brackets attached to the frame that allow the 1 1/4" accessory reciever from Lippert to be added. This is now a factory option on both products.

I hope this helps.

You get the brackets already but no one likes the 1 1/4" hitch. Go to your local friendly fab shop and have a 2" one made up to bolt in place. We have never used the central vac so I won't order that next time.

WOW! The response from everyone has been incredible. You have all given me more things to think about. You don't get a commission, do you? - - HA! It's back to a little more research and I may have some follow up questions. Thanks to all for the comments here and throughout the forum which have helped us decide on a Big Horn. We look forward to seeing you on the road.

jnbhobe

The best safty upgrades you can do is Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes from Mor-Ryde.

Speedy

I have two that I would have factory remove because of all the trouble they lead to. The ice maker in the freezer and central vac. The ice maker can easily replaced by a stand alone unit that will make more ice that a built in unit and will not cause leaks and give you more freezer space. The central vac really only works on the tile floor, it is worthless for carpet since it does not have a power head. Besides as time goes on it will start to run on it's own which will have you unpluging it from the basement.

jnbhobe

I have two that I would have factory remove because of all the trouble they lead to. The ice maker in the freezer and central vac. The ice maker can easily replaced by a stand alone unit that will make more ice that a built in unit and will not cause leaks and give you more freezer space. The central vac really only works on the tile floor, it is worthless for carpet since it does not have a power head. Besides as time goes on it will start to run on it's own which will have you unpluging it from the basement.

I agree, I agree I agree!!

Pizzaguy

I would suggest getting the Trail-Air pinbox with the tri glide in place of the Morryde, unless you have an air ride hitch in your truck. It will help with both the "chucking" and rough roads.Keep the ice maker and the central vac. Even though the central vac does not have the power head, it is great for using just before putting in the slides each time and for doing a quick clean up for what you track in with you when you enter the door. We also have a small vacuum cleaner with us to do the deep carpet cleaning,but that isn't needed as often with the central vac.Good Luck!