Our Newport Update

Cholo

Wanted to update everyone about our Newport:
It arrived at the dealer and we went to see it. Overall Great! Fit and finish was about 8 on a scale of 1-10. It was not a pre-delivery walk through just a look at the unit and make note of any issues we see. We have quite a few things the dealer has to install before we take it home. We only found minor issues such as, cabinet doors that need alignment and minor scratches. The biggie for us was, the piece of wood that was used for trim at the floor of the kitchen slide was "spliced" together and the factory did a terrible job at the joint. The joint was in the middle of the section and, snaged my wife's sock as she walked past it, (I would have used a board that fit all the way across so no joint needed or do a better job at hiding it). We were so excited about seeing it for the first time that we did not take pictures of the board. We did show the dealer hopefully they can fix it.

Our first view of the changes:
We like the new Multi-plex Lighting, just wish it was used for all lights. Liked the new Driftwood color, our full body paint color but, liked one of the past colors better. Liked the new stove top, USB outlets, new floors, less carpet, trash can on pull out, and overhead lights. Did not like new sinks! Liked the fact that it is a single sink in the kitchen but, it looks cheesy compared to others I saw and the ones in the bath rooms look horrible to us, (we were unhappy about the change before we saw it and seeing it was worse than I thought). I did not think having different counter tops in the kitchen and bath when I heard about was a big deal but, when we looked at it not so good. Most readers did not like the idea of losing the "buffet" table with storage, me included. The table in ours was horrible! Looks nice on the outside but, when you lift the top up, it's completely unfinished, rough, and down right ugly! Not to mention loss of storage.
2.jpg 10.jpg
Sorry about the side way picture. Not sure how to fix it.

NOTE: None of these issues were "deal breakers". We bought a Landmark for the overall build quality and stand by it.

The only thing I can think of in the "if I was to do it again" category is ordering the oven. The reason we did not order the oven was to have the cabinet space under the cook top. With the pantry we may not have needed the cabinet under the stove top.
Just my thoughts on our new Newport for those looking. May have missed alot. Please ask if you have any questions.
Will update after walk through-mid month.
If readers are interested I can write our buying experience with our dealer and manufacturer in another post.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new baby. You stated that the dealership was going to do some additions but I would also suggest that you visit your baby as much as possible in that each time you will see something different that might need to be addressed before she comes home. Will this dealership let you stay in the coach on their lot or nearby for a night or two? It's another way to her out from top to bottom. Enjoy.

HOOKERUP

We picked up our Oshkosh last week.We did have the stove installed,great job and looks great only lost two cabinets ( less to bring )

Cholo

We picked up our Oshkosh last week.We did have the stove installed,great job and looks great only lost two cabinets ( less to bring )

Congrats! We really like the Oshkosh bedroom. If it had the front bath we would have bought it. I agree with you on the oven.

dmorilla

I have to agree with you. Heartland, Newport went backwards with the new sink(s), and table. I really liked the old buffet table and for us, that is a deal breaker. They did make some nice changes; like the new stove/oven combination, the replacement of the ugly red sitting and the tv/mirror in the master bedroom. I also like the addition of the pantry, but I wish they would have left the rest of the rig alone. This was a very nice rig, that needed very few upgrades. Instead they went the opposite way. How sad!!!

Oldelevatorman

Just bought our Newport today, no delivery date set. Need to go to Phoenix to pick it up. Sure seems like they could have put two sinks in master bath. Was the previous sink better, I don't have a pic to compare old vs new! Congrats on your purchase as well and may see you at a rally someday, Jim

Cholo

Just bought our Newport today, no delivery date set. Need to go to Phoenix to pick it up. Sure seems like they could have put two sinks in master bath. Was the previous sink better, I don't have a pic to compare old vs new! Congrats on your purchase as well and may see you at a rally someday, Jim

Congrats!! We love ours. Very little issues.
Water leak from not tightening up hose under sink. Sink drain not tight. Had a Fantastic fan installed in the 1/2 bath that failed after first week. Company sent replacement for me to fix as soon as the sun shines again. Refer also failed after first week. Chatted with Heartland and they helped get my refer fixed within 4 days!

I think most of us around here will agree that Heartlands customer service is second to none. I have had to call, email and chat with them and have always received great service. Also, the people who they refer me to for issues have been outstanding.

Enjoy your new home!

Wanderlust

Cholo, we picked up our Newport on Friday and here are some things we found.

Refrigerator door hit the side molding and had a gouge in the molding. Could not open the door all the way to access the drawers inside.

The fender bracket was not attached.

Small minor things like loose cabinet drawer hinges.

I first didn't like the stainless steel sinks in the bathroom but I think they are better than the plastic in most rvs. It is starting to grow on me.

The buffet table will be missed... as well as the sconces throughout. Added a home feel to the unit. I really light the old style light in the bedroom the new box light is nothing to brag about lol.

As you might have seen we already had an incident with the tv falling out of the cabinet and breaking the hinge. I was shocked at how dang heavy the TV was! You would think a lighter tv would be a better option in the coach to help with weight. Hoping they will fix this asap.

Love the stove/range. Can't wait to use it.

So much space to store items I do t know what to do with it all!!

Congrats again! We will be full timing starting in March! See you on the road!

Ken and Sherry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winterton

We took delivery of our 2017 Newport in December and took it to Indio for the winter. It is interesting that all of you seem to have the same opinion about changes and quality and fit of the finish. We had to fight to get Heartland to install the right size topper on one of our slides and we are still waiting to get the paint job fixed. If you can get a lighter color, do it. The dark colors are beautiful but a nightmare to maintain.

We have the usual number of fixes needed but unfortunately, the dealers in Texas don't want to service any trailers that they didn't sell.
A big item is going to be the failure to Powdercoat the frame. We see 2017 advertising saying it is standard but our frame is rusting already and Heartland say they DON'T Powdercoat anymore. It's not even treated with a rust inhibitor paint so don't know what we are going to do.

We do enjoy this unit but quite frankly, we wish we had our old Grand Canyon back

Wanderlust

Funny that they said they don't powder coat the frame as we got ours in February fresh off the line and ours is powder coated. The dark color does show a lot but we find a product that is waterless wash and it works great. It's called Aero waterless wash and wax I believe. Spray and wipe. I will get the site for you soon.

Sorry you are unhappy with your coach. We have been full timing for almost a month and are loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We took delivery of our 2017 Newport in December and took it to Indio for the winter. It is interesting that all of you seem to have the same opinion about changes and quality and fit of the finish. We had to fight to get Heartland to install the right size topper on one of our slides and we are still waiting to get the paint job fixed. If you can get a lighter color, do it. The dark colors are beautiful but a nightmare to maintain.

We have the usual number of fixes needed but unfortunately, the dealers in Texas don't want to service any trailers that they didn't sell.
A big item is going to be the failure to Powdercoat the frame. We see 2017 advertising saying it is standard but our frame is rusting already and Heartland say they DON'T Powdercoat anymore. It's not even treated with a rust inhibitor paint so don't know what we are going to do.

We do enjoy this unit but quite frankly, we wish we had our old Grand Canyon back
You started a similar thread about a week ago. Have you read the replies about the rusting issue? You can read them HERE, be sure to read post #7 dealing with powder coating.

Peace
Dave