Our popping is back (6 pt level up)

Ladiver

This weekend, the popping has returned. :-(
I think the weather may have a little to do with it. The daytime highs were near 80 and the evening lows in the low 30's.

Looks like a second round of additive will be needed. I wish Lippert would acknowledge this as a problem and come up with a fix. The use of an additive every 3-4 trips gets expensive and inconvenient.

danemayer

This weekend, the popping has returned. :-(
I think the weather may have a little to do with it. The daytime highs were near 80 and the evening lows in the low 30's.

Looks like a second round of additive will be needed. I wish Lippert would acknowledge this as a problem and come up with a fix. The use of an additive every 3-4 trips gets expensive and inconvenient.

The LIP Sheet, here, advises removing one quart of fluid and putting in one quart of additive. If noise persists, repeat the procedure.

I don't read that as meaning to repeat the procedure every 3-4 trips. Eventually all you'll have is additive.

You might want to call Lippert to discuss.

porthole

Retired
If you haven't done it yet, just start off with 2 quart replacement.
The additive is still hydraulic oil.

LA, doing it again now will not result in a true 1+1 change.
Now you will be removing 1 quart of "mix" at whatever percentage that would be.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have done the additive thing 3 separate times and the popping still persists although not as often. I have called Lippert and the answer I got was I just have learn to live with it. Guess there is not a permanent fix for it. I wonder if other brands of RVs have this same issue.

DocFather

I have never added any additive or subtracted and subtractive, but I notice that the popping sound always seems to be related to temperature fluctuations. But, I am old and my mind plays tricks on me.

B

BouseBill

Ours has started popping again also, temperature/weight related I'm sure. I had to take the kingpin stabilizer down for some maintenance. I do think that makes a big difference in that it takes some of the pressure off the front landing gear.
Sorry to say I advise possible new owners to seriously think about a new rig with the level up system.

SeattleLion

My understanding (which might be wrong) is that this popping is an issue with temperature/viscosity of the hydraulic fluid. The "additive" is not really an additive at all. It is "fork oil" which is a specially compounded fluid for motorcycle forks. Standard hydraulic fluid is the same as automatic transmission oil. The popping has no effect on the hydraulic system. Nothing is giving way. I agree it is annoying. We experienced it only once. I think that this is because we don't camp in cold weather. As I recall, it happened on a cool (50 deg F) morning.

Apparently, it can be reduced but not prevented completely. I also think lots of people worry about the reliability of hydraulic jacks. I always try to remember that buildings are held up by hydraulics, elevators use them to move the passenger compartment up and down (not all elevators, but a lot), and heavy equipment moves loads much heavier than our trailers without any problems.

bigdob24

I don't have the level up system , just hydronic front jacks and slides . Have done the first round with one of the recommended additives and after about six months I notice the pop again. It's not as bad or often as before and we do have big temp swings from day to night.
I may do one more qt and live with the result.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Seems to me that if this is an issue (it is to me) on other brands as well then there would be a whole lot of research being done to find the reason and the cure. Guess Lippert just does not care to.

travis_g

Sounds like someone needs to setup a couple of gopro cameras and see if the movement can be captured.

Ladiver

UPDATE!!

I replaced 2 quarts with the CAT additive. We were camping this weekend in San Diego. Warm days, cool nights. Perfect for popping. Well, I can say that there is a huge difference. I think I heard 2 pops the entire weekend. They did not wake us in the middle of the night, nor were they obvious pops from the hydraulics.

Mizmary

There is movement - What is happening is that the liquid is contracting in the cold and expanding in the heat. I have marked my legs with a sharpie and an arrow and during large temperature swing days - the larger the swing, the worse the popping, the more the legs go up and down. The "AVERAGE" length of the leg is the same - but throughout the day there is between 1/2" and 1" movement up and down (total - usually less than 1/2" from center). We did the fork fluid exchange once - and we will do it again. I can see if the sharpie marks are still there and get photos throughout the day.

Last edited:

donr827

It has to be a design problem with Lippert and the cylinders. The Big Foot used on some trailers does not seem to have the problem like Lippert has.
Don

Bobby A

UPDATE!!

I replaced 2 quarts with the CAT additive. We were camping this weekend in San Diego. Warm days, cool nights. Perfect for popping. Well, I can say that there is a huge difference. I think I heard 2 pops the entire weekend. They did not wake us in the middle of the night, nor were they obvious pops from the hydraulics.

What is this additive you speak of ?? and where do you get it ?? Thanks