Outside outlets tripping ground fault

tljack

We have a 2014 3570RS Bighorn. This unit has 2 outside power lets that are tied to the GFI in the bathroom. No matter what I plug into either of these (including a basic polarity tester) they trip the GFI. Nothing is damp around them, in fact they are both bone dry. I have other outlets on the same circuit. Any suggestions about where to start looking for the problem? We are on the road for 8 mo. so do not get to service centers.

danemayer

Hi tljack,

I'm not an electrician, but I would cut the power and examine the back side of those two outlets for a loose wire. If everything looks ok, check other outlets in the basement storage area, the UDC, and the kitchen. Might be a good idea to cut power at the pedestal in case the outlet you're examining is on a different circuit breaker.

tljack

Hi tljack,

I'm not an electrician, but I would cut the power and examine the back side of those two outlets for a loose wire. If everything looks ok, check other outlets in the basement storage area, the UDC, and the kitchen. Might be a good idea to cut power at the pedestal in case the outlet you're examining is on a different circuit breaker.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give it a try as soon as we get to our son's tomorrow.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Be sure to check, not only for loose wires, but that the wires are of the correct polarity.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Analyzing what you reported, any time a complete circuit is established in the outside receptacles, no matter with what device, or how small a load, the GFI trips. The GFI doesn't trip without a complete circuit on the outside receptacles. Since the GFI measures the current flowing on the hot wire and neutral wire and trips when there is a significant imbalance in these currents, I would assume that some of the return current (neutral wire current) is getting diverted to ground. I would look for a neutral to ground short (fault). A hot side short would presumably blow the breaker.
Having said this, if you can't find a cause, you might try investing in a new GFI outlet. I have heard of some of them acting wacky and tripping for no good reason.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing to add to the mix here.
Recently a friend replaced his GFI.
He reported that everytime he plugged something in the GFI would trip.
Turned out that when the GFI was replaced he had the 'Load' and 'Line' wires mixed up.
The 'Line' comes from the breaker, and the 'Load' goes to the receptacles that are protected by the GFI.
Yours may be miswired.

Peace
Dave

mslater

Try removing the load at the gfi ... Than re-energize it ... see if gfi trips will let you know if its at the gfi or down stream