Part numbers?

SHerrick

Hello! I am looking for information! I want to do a 'clean and inspect' on my wheel bearings. Where can I find the part#'s or sizes of the seals, bearings, etc. necessary to do this? Is it available on any kind of parts list anywhere? Does anybody use "Bearing Buddies" on their rigs?

Thanks!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you have a NAPA store near you...take an inner, outer bearing and seal with you. They can match up the PT# and get you new bearings if needed and replacement seals.

crussian

Are there set intervals for changing those bearings and seals? I did own a Keystone Cougar before my Heartland Oakmont purchase. I did the Cougar bearings at about the 4 year mark. They looked to be in good shape. However, I will caveat that statement by saying we did weekend outings, no more than 250 miles one way about 5-6 times a year. No way to guess what mileage but maybe that's why they lasted that long.

danemayer

Hello! I am looking for information! I want to do a 'clean and inspect' on my wheel bearings. Where can I find the part#'s or sizes of the seals, bearings, etc. necessary to do this? Is it available on any kind of parts list anywhere? Does anybody use "Bearing Buddies" on their rigs?

Thanks!

Here's a link to the Dexter manuals that we have posted on the forum. The 3rd one down in the folder (Complete Service Manual) has a bunch of useful info along with some part # info toward the back.

MTPockets

I've done a very conservative "bearing life analysis" and based on the bearing design life for 7000 lb Dexter axles under maximum trailer weight, and 12,000 miles/yr., a set of bearings would last a minimum of 15 years. Understand that this is assuming proper lubrication practices and clean handling practices are exercised. My career was bearings, and in general, cause of bearing failure is mostly contamination and improper lubrication.. Therefore, the annual repacking and replacing seals using clean hands, rags, grease to prevent the introduction of any type contaminants. If the bearings inspected are free from any scars, marks, discoloring from heat on the raceway, and properly handled during installation, you will never see a bearing failure. Bearing Buddies are not necessary. Helpful on boat trailers when the wheels are submersed under water, when the extra grease helps keep the water out, but not really going to add anything otherwise.

SHerrick

Thank you all. I agree, there should be no need to replace bearings unless they show deterioration, which is unlikely. What I was looking for was the seals and lubricant.

Again, Thanks!

sengli

If you can find the tag on the axle still, mine axles were from dexter. There was a serial , and model number on that tag. Called dexter up and they emailed me a spec sheet on my axles, with all of the part numbers, sizes, build dates etc.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
For everyones reference here is the part numbers for bearings and seals from NAPA one complete set costs about $110.00. Very high quality bearings.

PartBrandNumberVendor Price
Inner Wheel BearingSKFBR02420Napa $15.95
Inner RaceSKFBR25580Napa $19.18
Outer Wheel BearingSKFBR25520Napa $9.68
Outer RaceSKFBR02475Napa $27.60
Grease SealNapa22550Napa $8.95

SHerrick

Again, thank y'all! Terry, that was exactly what I needed, particularly the seals! I like to keep a stock of parts I need or might need. (Ex-maintenance manager in me, I guess). I would like to keep at least one full set onboard, and have the seals necessary to do at least one full set of yearly maintenance.

MTPockets

For everyones reference here is the part numbers for bearings and seals from NAPA one complete set costs about $110.00. Very high quality bearings.

PartBrandNumberVendor Price
Inner Wheel BearingSKFBR02420Napa $15.95
Inner RaceSKFBR25580Napa $19.18
Outer Wheel BearingSKFBR25520Napa $9.68
Outer RaceSKFBR02475Napa $27.60
Grease SealNapa22550Napa $8.95
Which axle do these fit? 7000 lb ?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have some some different numbers.
Terry H, do you have the race and bearing numbers swapped?
Terry R, I have 7k axles with disk brakes. The Kodiak rotors require the 02475 outer bearing which is actually an 8k bearing.

Peace
Dave

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I have some some different numbers.
Terry H, do you have the race and bearing numbers swapped?

I will check the actual bearing parts tomorrow to verify the numbers and description.

Last edited:

MTPockets

I finally looked up my Dexter 7000 lb axle bearings & seal..

Inside bearing: timken 25580 cone (inner race & roller assy)
timken 25520 cup (outer race)

Outside bearing; Timken 14125A cone
Timken 14276 cup

Seal: 22558. C/R brand or SKF brand (SKF owns C/R). This seal has the dust seal wiper for extra protection

rhodies1

Thanks!
The part number is stamped on the back side of each bearing, if you do replace a bearing you must replace the bearing race, these are a numbered set. Your grease seal is either a 3.25 or a 3.50 in diameter, this will depend on the size axle under your unit. As far as bearing buddies these do a good job at placing grease on the outer bearing but are no the greatest for getting grease to the back bearing which is the most important bearing because as we say ...out of site out of mind, I take the time each yr to pull the wheels off and check each bearing,and always replace the grease seal if you perform this task.