payload increase with heavier rated tires or springs?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Based on the number of obviously overloaded towing configurations I see on the road, I'd say far more people get away with it than don't.

But that still doesn't make it a smart or safe decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

Most things in this country are not directly and explicitly stated in laws. Laws are written that allow other people to form committees and create regulations. Agencies responsible for enforcing regulations then interpret those regulations and create guidelines to be used by the actual people who provide enforcement. Then someone is charged under these regulations. Then it goes to court and a judge decides what those regulations mean under some set of circumstances. These regulations are tested and interpreted many times in the courts and many levels within the courts and a body of understanding becomes understood with the enforcement and court system. That is called settled law. This can lead to new agency guidelines. etc.

So yes, you may rationalize your understanding to the police and the judge. Good luck with that.

Oh, and first hand reports are not rumors. Yes, my statement is hearsay, second hand. Yes you are free to believe or not believe these reports or my hearsay. It's your choice. A great deal of life comes down to rational reasoning and confirming facts. That's up to you. Just calling stuff rumors to discredit them can equally be tossed off as simple convenient rationalization to engage in risky anti-social behavior, or more simply as ignorant denial. An increasingly common affliction.

I suggest we skip the false nasty rhetoric and have a rational open discussion.

I also suggest that encouraging others to engage in risky behavior is not really a good thing to do. There are real good reasons that we DO HAVE these ratings, laws, and regulations, and why GVWR, GCWR-R, and GAWR-F are on our vehicles, and why other ratings are published. They were in fact not put out there for their entertainment value. But hey, that would be rational reasoning based on observable facts. Are things always explicitly clear in our society? Sometimes;yes. Always, absolutely not. Can a rational honest person usually figure out what the purpose and meaning of these standards and regulations. Sure, it's not that complicated. Overweight vehicles created increased risk of wear and tear on vehicles, increased accidents rates, and increased injury and death rates. Is any one person guaranteed to suffer these losses due to being overweight? No. Nor is anyone guaranteed to not suffer injury by remaining within the regulations. It's all about dramatically increased risk to yourself and all those people around you. A risk which does clearly demonstrate itself as increased rates of injury and death. I don't personally know of anyone who has died of carbon monoxide poisoning or home fire. Yet it still happens far too many times a year. .

avvidclif

Not trying to start a war. After over 20 yrs in law enforcement I know when a citation is issued there has to be a rule/regulation cited that was violated. I just wanted to know what it is?

caissiel

My truck if registered for 12000 lbs. I dropped it from 14000lbs to stay under 26000 lbs for licensing and precautions while driving in the States.
I was checked at the border coming into the states for air bags. I said I had none, end of discussion.
To me installing air bags is admitting guilt.
My truck can carry easily 12000 lbs without being overloaded, and no one can tell me otherwise. I was also good at 14000 lbs because the previous owner used it as an industrial service truck in my Province.
My understanding is the lower trim levels are also set up for better capacity.

It has been reported here and at other RV sites that the state police in CA and other states DO STOP RVs and check weight. They do prevent you from driving away until you have appropriate weight and tow vehicle.

Not true, Bohemian. Maybe in other states. And if they did suspect an overweight situation, the tire weight capacity is likely all they would enforce. Speed, improper lane, or even over-length, but not normally weight.

Roy

And, yes, there must be a specific, published law or regulation, imposed by statute, in order to refer someone to a criminal court....not just some agency representative who "feels" like this or that should be a violation so let's send them to court.

There are also administrative violations out there that usually result in a fine or fee (unless you fail to adhere to them, then there will be a legal code section with more juice backing them up.)

Just sayin'

Roy

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Roy, I only know of 1 person that was cited and it was for not having the correct endorsment to his class "C". His trailer was over the 10001# and that needed the 20 question test. I thing what Bohemian is referring to is what happens at Glamis and other SE deserts that are in Ca. where all the people go with sand toys. At times the CHP will have portable scales set up and will weight the BIG TH'ers like the Cyclones that have a GWR of 19K. If your TV is not rated for the weight. You will be cited, either have to drop the trailer right there and have a someone with a "legal" truck come and tow it home for you. So it does happen at times. I'm sure the LEO's look at the rig and if the headlites are in the trees...you will be checked.