Permanent camp site

Strawman

What do rv'ers do to set up a permanent site, ie. pad type (concrete, dirt,gravel), sewer dumping and such. Can cider blocks be used to raise the frame up off of the springs and tires, would it be more steady from wind and internal motion? Just bought a 2011 North Country 31RETS in San Diego county for our son to live on our property. This is a great site, hope all ya'll are staying dry and warm.

jimtoo

Hi Strawman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would think that if your not going to be moving it then use cinder blocks along the frame in several places.

I'm sure you will get some more suggestions soon from our other members.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's going to be there and used long-term, maybe laying a concrete or gravel pad might be more stable than dirt, especially if it rains much. For the sewer connection, if it's out in the boonies and there's no way to connect to a sanitary system, then you might investigate having a holding tank put in the ground (if permitted) that can be pumped out by a septic tank contractor periodically.

scottyb

I would use some RV Screw Jacks and concrete blocks. At that price you could put as many as you want on each side. I'm sure San Diego county would take interest if you did anything they deemed permanent. I doubt you have to worry too much about rain in San Diego but I bet wind could be a concern.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
From my four years in Borrego Springs, which is in San Diego County (and also way out in the middle of nowhere). Anything with wheels is considered temporary on the site and you can get away with almost anything, except making attachments to the trailer, such as rooms, lean to's or decks.

If you take the wheels off it's a whole different scenario, because then it is considered permanent. SD county apparently is hard up for cash and was even sending building inspectors to Borrego. They were nitpicking mobile homes and trailers for permits on things such as awnings and decks that were done 30 years before and should have been grandfathered.

As Scotty mentioned I would tether it down and also leave the wheels on. Trace