Popping noise when unhitching

hoeboe

I have a 2011 Elkridge 34TSRE, bought last November. We've loved it and had only a handful of minor issues in about 4000 miles and more than a month of camping. Right now I am wondering whether we should be concerned about popping noises from the front of the frame whenever we unhitch the trailer.

Essentially, when the pin weight is on the truck and the landing gear first hits the ground, we hear a popping and creaking noise for the first 5-10 seconds as the weight is taken off the hitch. Once off the hitch, the noise stops. it's kinda a "pop...pop....pop pop...pop..." as the pin box is unloaded.

I don't think it makes any noise when lowering it back on to the truck.

How normal are these noises? I am considering a trip to the dealer to let them hear it. I;ve read some horror stories about broken frames and pin box welds, and frankly feeling a little nervouse about the front frame.

Best,
Hoeboe

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a 2010 34QSRL ER. We have also heard these noises when raising the rig off of the hitch. I figured they were "normal", but I will be glad to hear what you find out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a 2011 Elkridge 34TSRE, bought last November. We've loved it and had only a handful of minor issues in about 4000 miles and more than a month of camping. Right now I am wondering whether we should be concerned about popping noises from the front of the frame whenever we unhitch the trailer.

Essentially, when the pin weight is on the truck and the landing gear first hits the ground, we hear a popping and creaking noise for the first 5-10 seconds as the weight is taken off the hitch. Once off the hitch, the noise stops. it's kinda a "pop...pop....pop pop...pop..." as the pin box is unloaded.

I don't think it makes any noise when lowering it back on to the truck.

How normal are these noises? I am considering a trip to the dealer to let them hear it. I;ve read some horror stories about broken frames and pin box welds, and frankly feeling a little nervouse about the front frame.

Best,
Hoeboe
Hoeboe, I hear the same sounds when un-hitching from the truck. I think it's everything returning to "normal". Also, when you un-hitch, the truck is rarely exactly centered under the pin. There's always a bit of stress being relieved. We usually always have to back into the pin to release it.

hoeboe

I really would like to avoid taking it to the dealer if at all possible.

Thanks for the reassurance that I am at least not alone!

ICamel

hoeboe:
Our previous 5r(owned and used extensively for 10 years) and new Elk Ridge both exhibited the popping noises when unloading the weight off the truck and hitch. Probably nothing to be worried about.

sengli

Just recently traded our elkridge and bought a new big horn. All I know is the big horn weighs more(2k pounds), and does make any popping noises when loading and unloading the pin weight from the hitch. Must be a frame difference somewhere.