Power Awning motor failure

Barclay

My 2012 Sundance 3100ES came with a Dometic 895(X)0(X)(X)400(X) power awning. Replaced the motor under warranty within the first 3 months(virtually no use). Replaced again in 2 years, again with very little use. Question--Is the design defective or cheap/ or am I doing something wrong? Dometic is of little help once out of warranty. Any feedback is appreciated.

Larry&LyndaSmith

Past New Mexico Chapter Leaders
Same issues here. Dometic is Dometic, not the greatest attitude. Make sure not to leave your awning extended In windy weather and also tie it down so it won't bounce around in the wind. In my case the gears locked and it appeared to be a burned up motor, however I took it apart and freed up and lubricated the gears. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that Larry&LindaSmith has the right idea.
I have heard of a bunch of small motor failures that were fixed with just a cleaning.
Once you get a little water intrusion corrosion begins.
If you are using the awning regularly that corrosion will not be much of an issue.
However if it doesn't see much use ("virtually no use") the corrosion will grow and become a problem.
I would take it apart and clean the motor and lube the gears as stated.
Let us know how you make out.

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

I've read there are several GM power window motors that fit in it's place for WAY less money. I think if you dig around on the web you will find them...Don

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I've read there are several GM power window motors that fit in it's place for WAY less money. I think if you dig around on the web you will find them...Don

I repalced mine with a GM ( OEM ) window motor and even though it fits it does not seem to have the power to retract the awning - I currenly just help it overcome the resistance but will replace with a more powerful motor down the road some.

Kevin

Larry&LyndaSmith

When you replace the motor you will lose the tension on the torsion spring if you fail to pin it on the other end of the awning. This will cause the motor to lag.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
When you replace the motor you will lose the tension on the torsion spring if you fail to pin it on the other end of the awning. This will cause the motor to lag.

Well that could very well explain what I did wrong then - now to figure out how to get it back. or is that like the magic smoke inside the electronics - as soon as it escapes there's no getting it back in... ( ok that was a geek joke )

MTPockets

Mine failed just a few weeks before warranty expired, so I was fortunate there. The problem for failure was identified as the inside power switch was sticking in the on position causing motor burnout. Dometic sent the new motor along with an improved switch.

Grey Ghost

I think it's just DOMETIC, and a poorly designed unit! I've had mine (2011 Greystone) for two years now and I've replaced the motor twice. We use the camper regularly and the awning gets used also, plus we live in Arizona, no rain since November 2013, so it's not moisture in the motor either. Just a poor design! I was told by the factory that if I took the motor out that loosening the top nut would automatically burn out the motor, is that true? If I thought cleaning the motor would fix the problem, I would do that twice a year or so.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
At first I was kinda' bummed that our Trail Runner didn't have the electric awning, but after reading about all of the problems with them, I'm glad I don't have it!

Ours is so easy to put out . . . takes less than a minute!

And when it's windy, it goes up without a hitch!

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg

Larry&LyndaSmith

Do an internet search for the installation manual. It is the same manual for the 9100 model. You will need a 2 3/4 by 7/64 cotter pin and it is a two man job. If you wish to discuss it further you all can call me on my cell at 575-532-9053 as I just went through the process. Larry Smith

porthole

Retired
Kevin, do you have dometic or carefree? Ours is a carefree awning.

Carefree - kinda like never-lube or never fail :cool:

Barclay

All the feedback to my first post on the forum (power awning failure) has been surprising. I agree I would choose a manual anyday to the Dometic power. I did take the motor assembly apart down to a sealed moter unit that smelled of burnt motor. The unit is pretty tight, provides for no lubrication and is apparently not geared from the appearance and because the Chinese label says it turns at 36 rpm-though that seems too slow for a direct drive. When the tech replaced the motor recently he did pin the left side because he said he'd get knocked off his ladder on the motor side if he didn't.