Progressive Dynamics 50 Amp Transfer Switch

sdwelling

Mine has mostly failed and is due for replacement. I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014 and it came stock with the Pd52. I have no ectrical protection and want to replace this with a current model. I notice there are new versions that offer electrical protection - is there a benefit to one of these over a std xfer switch with separate protection?
dc98d5027affac7db15cf3983d2e22d4.jpg
b1162524a2aa086297d17aae6ad35e39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Re: Performance Dynamics 50 Amp Transfer Switch

On the plus side, using one box is MUCH easier to install. (wrestling short lengths of 6ga wire is less than fun!)
On the minus side, if one portion fails you could be facing replacement of the more expensive combined unit.
Some prefer to keep surge protection as a portable unit so the investment isn't lost when buying a new rig. Personally, I'm not comfortable leaving an expensive electronic device exposed to the elements.
I'm sure this is of little help but at least you have someone else's thoughts.

danemayer

Hi Sdwelling,

You should compare the protections offered by the combined unit to those offered by the Progressive HW50C. Also, there's a good argument to be made for having the protection downstream from the transfer switch in case the transfer switch is the source of the problem. If you get a combined unit, you'd want to find out whether the protective circuitry is upstream or downstream from the transfer contactors.

Some of us follow what I would call a "best practice" when plugging/unplugging from the campground pedestal. You don't want any arcing inside the transfer switch when power is applied or removed because that can cause pitting on the contacts, leading to a transfer switch failure. So in your main circuit breaker panel inside the coach, before disconnecting shore power, turn the main 50 amp breakers OFF. Then unplug from the pedestal. Leave them off until after you've plugged into power at the next campground. If there's an EMS like the Progressive HW50C installed, it has a 2 minute delay before power is applied. Wait the 2 minutes before turning your interior 50 amp breakers ON.

sdwelling

I've clearly got some refresher reading to do over the next few weeks. Thank you.

sdwelling

On the plus side, using one box is MUCH easier to install. (wrestling short lengths of 6ga wire is less than fun!)
On the minus side, if one portion fails you could be facing replacement of the more expensive combined unit.
Some prefer to keep surge protection as a portable unit so the investment isn't lost when buying a new rig. Personally, I'm not comfortable leaving an expensive electronic device exposed to the elements.
I'm sure this is of little help but at least you have someone else's thoughts.
I'm generally a fan of better individual components in lieu of the Swiss Army knife solution.

avvidclif

I have the Progressive Industries HW50C Surge Suppressor installed in mine, it is before the transfer switch in the position recommended by PI. On the subject of breakers I prefer not to wear mine out in the trailer by switching them off and on. I make sure the pedestal breaker is off before plugging in or unplugging. That removes any load from the plug. Once plugged in and the breaker turned on the PI Surge Suppressor checks out the power from the pedestal for any problems and if none are found turns on power to the RV.

Bob.jr

I do the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

sdwelling

I have the Progressive Industries HW50C Surge Suppressor installed in mine, it is before the transfer switch in the position recommended by PI. On the subject of breakers I prefer not to wear mine out in the trailer by switching them off and on. I make sure the pedestal breaker is off before plugging in or unplugging. That removes any load from the plug. Once plugged in and the breaker turned on the PI Surge Suppressor checks out the power from the pedestal for any problems and if none are found turns on power to the RV.
Thanks!

Nbomar

My transfer switch won’t hold generator power. Just pops and shuts down, pops and shuts down. I’ve already checked the screws and everything is tight. I would assume it’s time to replace it. What transfer switch should I get. I have a surge protector that’s portable at the power pedestal, so I don’t need that. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdwelling

I just replaced mine with another progressive dynamics less than 2 weeks ago. Easy replacement - got 5 years out of the first one and think I fried it long ago - running gennie while on shore power!

Nbomar

I just replaced mine with another progressive dynamics less than 2 weeks ago. Easy replacement - got 5 years out of the first one and think I fried it long ago - running gennie while on shore power!

What model did you use? Pd52? Pd52v? Magnum? There are options and I’m no electrician or rv expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdwelling

I originally had the Pd52, but put the Pd52v in - I think it's newer.

porthole

Retired
and think I fried it long ago - running gennie while on shore power!

Running the generator while still connected to shore power should have no affect on the TS.

But, having a full load on shore power, then starting the generator and having it transfer over a full load is not beneficial for a long life with the contacts.

Same goes with plugging into shore power with high amperage loads turned on, such as the water heater and AC units.

If it was my trailer, I would replace the TS with the basic Progressive Dynamics 50 amp transfer switch

Then add a a Progressive Industries hard wired EMS (electrical management system) with a remote for convenience.

dave10a

My trailer come standard with the Progressive Transfer switch that will catch most if not all transients, but does not shut down with over/under voltage. Rather than buying a more featured switch I installed a Hughes Autoformer to deal with under voltage. Most 30Amp campgrounds can have significant voltage of less than 105vac and the autoformer corrects for that. The 50 amp campgrounds don't seam to have that problem. I never seen a campground that has an over-voltage, so felt the autoformer was a better option than upgrading my transfer switch for under/over voltage protection. It is possible, but rare, for 50 amp campgrounds to have the 110Vac jump up to 220vac depending how well the neutral earth bonding is at the pedestal. I have tester to check for that bonding as well as neutral ground reversal before I connect up. Also a few campgrounds cheat on the 50amp by not using 50 amp split phase and tie the 30 amp hot to L1 and L2 of the pedestal box. This generally is not a problem unless your unit actually needs 220vac, and as far as I know only high end motor homes have that requirement. That type of connection could cause 110voltage loss to trailers because that 30 amp campground wiring would not handle load of 50 amp L! and L2 split phase.