Proper Wheel Bearing Grease

browny

Does anyone know if Pennzoil Red Synthetic grease is the same or compatible with Pennzoil Wheel Bearing Grease 707L?, which is a high temp grease. I can't find the info I need to know if the 707L is the proper type of grease to use on my Dexter axles. Browny

MTPockets

You may be able to search internet for answer; I do know you should not mix synthetic grease with non-synthetics. As far as "proper" lube, a good name brand lithium base grease is all you need. Synthetics are a waste of $$$$ if you follow manufacturers service interval of annual re packing and inspection.

Jim.Allison

http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/6-8K_Service_Manual_9-12/Hubs_Drums_and_Bearings_9-12.pdf

The link is to Dexter Axle, scroll to the last few pages, It appears that they recommend a Lithium Complex. They give brands and part numbers.

Synthetics do have their place but probably not in our application. Extreme cold and heat are synthetic environments. If you paid $2.00 extra for synthetic you would never get paid back in service.

Never buy a private label unknown grease. There is a lot of activity going on in a hub. choosing the wrong grease can result in corrosion and deterioration of your seals, melting and a number of other problems. Buy from companies that are selling to industry. Lubriplate, conoco phillips, exxon, valvoline, kendall, mobil and the list goes on. These are the people that are putting their name on the line. A tube of grease from Northern tool, harbor freight, tractor supply etc is not going to perform the way you need it to perform. Tractor supply does carry some name brands so I retract that statement good luck.

Jim.Allison

This topic got me interested in lubrication. I have been semi-derelict in lubing my rig. So when this topic came up I started looking for a grease. I started with the Dexter lube recommendations and went from there. My search took me to every EP lube on the market. Many are not readily available to the public. So with much research, I have decided on this lube. It seems to be a great product with a great price. I paid $30 for 10 tubes plus $14 for freight and no sales tax. Making the cost per tube $4.40 per tube. I thought you guy might be interested in reading about the grease. Here is a link to the supplier and the product. I discovered after I chose it that it is the first one on Dexters recommended list. Mystic was eliminated from my list because it is a Hugo Chavez/Venezuelan company. And yes his hatred of my country is a major consideration, I will walk before I buy a Citgo product.

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/1046519r.html

Tell me what you think!!!!!! BTW, I saw some information on the net that indicates that tapered roller bearing grease that contains moly is detrimental to tapered roller bearings. Fact or fiction?

rxbristol

I saw some information on the net that indicates that tapered roller bearing grease that contains moly is detrimental to tapered roller bearings. Fact or fiction?

Shoot, Jim, don't scare me. Here is what I've pulled from the CV-2 website: "Grease contains a red moly compound which is a superior lubricant to black moly disulfide lubricants." There seems to be a big difference between red moly and black moly and I know the black moly often gets a bad rap. CV-2 also states, "Red Line CV-2 Grease is designed to withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures which occur in high-performance wheel bearings and CV-joints. The excellent high temperature stability, extreme-pressure protection, and water resistance enables it to out-perform even the best conventional or synthetic greases." I know it is highly recommended among the automobile industry and enthusiasts. Anybody heard anything different?

Here's a link to the technical aspects:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=82

Jim.Allison

Probably has to do with %tage moly. Or not at all. LOL.:cool:

Shoot, Jim, don't scare me. Here is what I've pulled from the CV-2 website: "Grease contains a red moly compound which is a superior lubricant to black moly disulfide lubricants." There seems to be a big difference between red moly and black moly and I know the black moly often gets a bad rap. CV-2 also states, "Red Line CV-2 Grease is designed to withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures which occur in high-performance wheel bearings and CV-joints. The excellent high temperature stability, extreme-pressure protection, and water resistance enables it to out-perform even the best conventional or synthetic greases." I know it is highly recommended among the automobile industry and enthusiasts. Anybody heard anything different?

Here's a link to the technical aspects:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=82

porthole

Retired
Redline stuff is highly recommended in the air cooled motorcycle world. Especially the transmission "shockproof" lube.

I know it is not related, but here are two pics of my motorcycle trans, taken apart after sitting 4 months! Redline HD Shockproof.

Since I tend to get a bit of Redline products for the bike, maybe I'll switch the Mobile 1 grease I use now and give the CV stuff a whirl.

Attachments

• Trans_work_05.jpg
    Trans_work_05.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Trans_work_07.jpg
    Trans_work_07.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 47

Gary521

Redline Moly CV-2 is about the best wheel bearing grease that is available. I race a vintage spots car and that is all we, and other racers, ever use in our wheel bearings and U-joints. The reasons is its performance at high temperatures. However, will other greases work for 5th wheel bearing applications - sure. Is synthetic grease overkill for trailers - using a litte better stuff never hurts - so you decide.

rxbristol

Redline Moly CV-2 is about the best wheel bearing grease that is available. I race a vintage spots car and that is all we, and other racers, ever use in our wheel bearings and U-joints. The reasons is its performance at high temperatures. However, will other greases work for 5th wheel bearing applications - sure. Is synthetic grease overkill for trailers - using a litte better stuff never hurts - so you decide.

Because there is such a small difference in price, why not get the best? I paid $12 for a container of grease that could easily accomplish two changes, but I doubt that I will hang on to it after this job is done.

Last edited:

danemayer

My friend who raced an IROC Z in 24 hr racing with two drivers recommended this grease. It was the only one that wouldn't run out when the brakes got smoking hot. I used it on my trailer before a long 27,000 mile 9 month trip around the country. I checked the bearings when I got home and they looked great.

http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/Tr...-Blu-Tub-for-Hand-Packing-Bearings_p_624.html

Hi flintloc,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for contributing to the discussion.