pulling fuses

ILH

This is the 4th summer with my RW. Until this year I only had a single battery. This spring my son and I installed dual batteries so that the fridge could be left on between trips (max 2 weeks). The parasitic power draw was too much for a single battery.

Yesterday, after about a week since our last trip, the battery level is at about two-thirds. However, to make sure it lasts, I decided to pull the 12 volt fuses on some of the culprit - such as the propane detector, radio, etc.

My issue is that there has to be an easier way. Laying on the floor, trying to pull tiny fuses is crazy. Somebody must have invented a breaker for 12 volt systems!!!!

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One option would be to install a battery cutoff switch then wire your refrigerator, with an inline fuse, direct to the battery.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Do a websearch on " CB227 Circuit breakers " .

On edit: Whoops - These are self-resetting, low profile, circuit breakers to go into an ATC fuse socket. Unfortunately, they have no manual power shut-off switch. I could find none with a switch in the Bussman fuse ATC breaker page.

I wish I had known about these when I was having the mysterious, intermittent, trips of the refrigerator 12 volt circuit a few years ago, before I found the problem (12 volt wire intermittently shorting to grounded screw it was tightly wrapped around).

danemayer

This spring my son and I installed dual batteries so that the fridge could be left on between trips (max 2 weeks).
Running our Dometic RM1350, even with 2 batteries and everything else off, I doubt I'd get more than 1 week.

ILH

Running our Dometic RM1350, even with 2 batteries and everything else off, I doubt I'd get more than 1 week.

When I checked the less-than-accurate meter on the wall this morning, it showed "good" strength - which is roughly 3/4 - after 7 days.

ILH

You'll need to save some battery power to operate the jacks when it's time to hitch up.

In the past when I've drained the battery inadvertently I was able to run the hydraulic jacks after about 2 minutes hooked up to the truck....not that want to do that again! :rolleyes: