Pulling up I 40 in Tenn.

campfire7

My wife and I are leaving Saturday morning for Pigeon Forge Tn. , we have a camp site at "Up the Creek" RV Park. This will be the first time that we have pulled the Camper ( 30 Ft. North Country ) up there and I would like to hear from someone that has pulled up I40 from the east to Pigeon Forge, I know this is a little steep in places so any driving tips would be appreciated.

porthole

Retired
You will give your truck a bit of a workout.
Best thing I could offer after traveling this route multiple times is be on the watch for the tractor trailers.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Have pulled it once. Heard how steep and windy it was but speed limit in many places is only 45. Slow moving tractor trailers both up and down sides. Let your engine and transmission do the braking. Like anything else pay attention and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Not sure if you are coming up I-95 to I-26 to 40 or I-85 to I-26 to 40 but the first grade on I-26 is the biggest which is called the Saluda grade. It is 3 lanes going up hill with the truckers usually using the 2 right lanes. There are a couple of other grades, one being the Green River Gorge grade which is as steep but not as long. Once on 40, the mountain gorge from Asheville to Exit 407 (Pigeon Forge/Sevierville) is pretty flat but since it's a gorge, it's 2 lanes with the truckers required to use the right lane only so yes, sometimes it can be a little slow. Since it's a mountain gorge, it does have some curves but no switchbacks. There is a rest stop which we called the top of the world half way thru the gorge. In the old days, we used to run the gorge at 80 mph (posted back then at 70) but now it's posted at 55 mph. Be careful and have fun.

campfire7

Not sure if you are coming up I-95 to I-26 to 40 or I-85 to I-26 to 40 but the first grade on I-26 is the biggest which is called the Saluda grade. It is 3 lanes going up hill with the truckers usually using the 2 right lanes. There are a couple of other grades, one being the Green River Gorge grade which is as steep but not as long. Once on 40, the mountain gorge from Asheville to Exit 407 (Pigeon Forge/Sevierville) is pretty flat but since it's a gorge, it's 2 lanes with the truckers required to use the right lane only so yes, sometimes it can be a little slow. Since it's a mountain gorge, it does have some curves but no switchbacks. There is a rest stop which we called the top of the world half way thru the gorge. In the old days, we used to run the gorge at 80 mph (posted back then at 70) but now it's posted at 55 mph. Be careful and have fun.

Yes we will be coming from east from I- 95 and thank you for the info.

campfire7

Ok, we made the trip through the gorge on I-26/ I-40. We had no problems even in the rain, our new F250 made it aloft easier, the trip have me the opportunity to learn more about the truck that you don't learn pulling on the flat of Florida. We are staying at "Up the Creek" t.v. park in Pigoen forge, a great camp ground. Definitely would recommend it to anyone.