Quality of traveler

Hi, I currently own a 2010 Cedar Creek silverback, and I’m looking to purchase a 22 big horn traveler mid bunk. I’m concerned as to the quality of the traveler and if it would be comparable to the silverback line of Cedar Creek. I’ve heard horror stories about heartland and Cedar Creek and I’ve heard glory stories about both brands as well so I know each needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I’m a little nervous as the big horn seems to have a very loose kitchen island. Is that something that others have found? also from doing some looking it seems as though the early model big horn traveler, such as 2018 had more amenities than the newer model that I’m looking at such as a 2022. Do you know if big horn stopped using certain things as the models got newer? That just seems odd to me according to the packages the only option available was generator prep and a gas electric fridge which I have . The 22 doesn’t even have frameless windows but it appears the 19 and 18 did? Does anyone know about the quality of the build of the traveler or where it falls in the hierarchy of heartland? Is it truly bottom on the line or is it a decent build. Thank you

rhodies1

go back to the Cedar Creek. You have experience with that line. The traveller is a cheap line of the Bighorn. Using the Bighorn name for sales

NYSUPstater

In Heartlands line of top to bottom: Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country. The Traveller is sub line (lower food chain) for the Big Horn. IMO, the Big Country is above the Traveller. I very well could be wrong, but we've been very happy w/ our '18 Big Country. We came from a '06 Silverback which we liked very much, but it was a bunk house which we didn't need anymore.

Thanks! We are coming from a 10 silverback bunkhouse and we loved it. The entire back half of the coach was just wasted at this point. When we’ve been shopping, we were going to stay with silver back until my wife saw the floorplan on the traveler even though silverback has a mid bunk floor plan and loved it She preferred the location of the entrance of the mid bunk, Happy wife, happy life, but I’m more concerned about the longevity. It is a 22 , but I do believe in “Covid units“ that we’re just thrown together. I did look at the hierarchy much like yourself, and I couldn’t quite find out if the traveler fell between the big horn and the big country, or below the big country then I saw units like Elkridge and cameo I believe it was, and I just don’t know I was trying to base them on Cedar Creeks, methodology of Champaign Hathaway silverback experience but now they’ve kind of gotten away from the Hathaway and made it just some options. What am I missing with the traveler, I heard of even had some big horn users in an uproar that heartland created such a unit. I feel like I may have bought something extremely cheap , such as a, no offense to anyone, but a Keystone cougar light .

rhodies1

If you are struck on a Heartland model then I would look at going above the Traveljer to the Big Country. Maybe you can find a floor plan that fits the bosses liking.

Ok so I’m not getting lots of love for the traveler here at all which says they are junk lol. That’s not a good sign but it’s also what I can afford without financing. Do I go sandpiper or heritage Glenn or something

rhodies1

I have a Heartland bighorn that I have owned since 2012. It’s been absolutely great. No issues. I have nothing against Heartland but feel that the lower end units just don’t have the quality. All units no matter the brand and cost will have issues but the higher end units seen to be put together better.
All units are highly priced now BUT sales have dropped significantly in 2023 and you should be able to bargain if the dealer you are looking at for a unit isn’t willing to bargain… move on. It’s more of a buyers market now than in the past 3 years. Find what you like.. make an offer and tell them. My offer and no more. Walk if you have to.
Good luck

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We recently purchased (Sept of 2022) a 2021 Bighorn 3120RK with full body paint. We had some issues but Heartland has been super to work with and have fixed everything. Very happy with our new rig.

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

Hi, I currently own a 2010 Cedar Creek silverback, and I’m looking to purchase a 22 big horn traveler mid bunk. I’m concerned as to the quality of the traveler and if it would be comparable to the silverback line of Cedar Creek. I’ve heard horror stories about heartland and Cedar Creek and I’ve heard glory stories about both brands as well so I know each needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I’m a little nervous as the big horn seems to have a very loose kitchen island. Is that something that others have found? also from doing some looking it seems as though the early model big horn traveler, such as 2018 had more amenities than the newer model that I’m looking at such as a 2022. Do you know if big horn stopped using certain things as the models got newer? That just seems odd to me according to the packages the only option available was generator prep and a gas electric fridge which I have . The 22 doesn’t even have frameless windows but it appears the 19 and 18 did? Does anyone know about the quality of the build of the traveler or where it falls in the hierarchy of heartland? Is it truly bottom on the line or is it a decent build. Thank you
I ll sell you my Landmark Rushmore. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2059199184412612/?mibextid=PSTjJ3.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Jim Posz

We have the base model Bighorn Traveler 32RS - 2021 model year. It is our third Heartland 5th wheel; the two others were Sundance. (Yes there used to be 5th wheels in the Sundance line).

The two main differences between the regular Bighorn and Bighorn Traveler are that the regular Bighorn has the drop frame design and the Traveler does not; also the regular model has a molded rear end cap and the traveler does not. The regular Bighorn has a more fancy interior.

The advantage of the drop frame is more basement storage; the disadvantage is that it's a heavier unit. The end cap is aesthetics.

Compared to what we had before, the features we like are two A/C units and the Lippert hydraulic auto level standard. It has the 15cf residential fridge; I had reservations about that, but once we put in a second deep cycle battery it has worked out fine.

Landmark, Big Country and (regular) Bighorn are considered luxury or near luxury units. The Traveler is a mid range price point. In comparison, we also looked at Grand Design. Big Horn is similar to the Solitude and Bighorn Traveler is similar to the Reflection.

We got a good price on the unit, and we have no regrets.