Question on brakes

Sandie

Does anyone know if the Elkridge has disc or electric brakes? Our 2011 does not seem to stop our rig when we do the "pull test" after hitching up. Our old one, which was another brand, stopped on a dime when we did it. How can you tell the difference between disc and electric? It catches but will not hold our truck from going forward unlike out other one. Had them checked and adjusted and we have it set on 10. Had the other set on 5 and it completely held our truck. I don't understand whats wrong here. Please help.

olcoon

Our 2011 27 RLSS has drum brakes, and if I'm not mistaken all of the Elk Ridges do also.

Sandie

Thanks for the replies and I'm wondering how your brakes are holding up. If you hold your trailer brakes will it hold your rig from moving forward or is this normal for drum brakes? I think I had disc brakes on my other and there is a huge difference. Mine does not hold our truck from moving forward even without giving it any fuel. I don't like that. Am I crazy here or do we need to take it back to the dealer?

olcoon

Ours won't hold the trailer when doing the pull test, but after I get it rolling, I'll apply the brake lever, and it does slow the trailer down.

jnbhobe

Have you changed trucks?? Some of the new ones work different. What happens if you pull the brake away cable ??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing you need to do is confirm that your brakes are getting current from the truck. You will need to do this using your digital multimeter.
If that checks out OK then you may need to pull the brake drums to inspect the shoes. You will want to be sure that you do not have a bad seal that contaminated the brakes with grease.
Then I would also adjust the brakes again.
There is a procedure for burnishing the brakes. This involves about 30 stops from about 30 mph.
It is also recommended that you "warm" up the brakes when you leave. You will want to use the manual lever and apply the brakes just so you feel a bit of a drag and hold that for a little while as you go down the road.

Peace
Dave

Sandie

Thanks, we will definitely warm the brakes when we take off tomorrow morning. I sure hope they are working properly as we will be heading down a steep canyon to get to where we are going. Will also be calling my service dept this morning regarding them.

GOTTOYS

I adjusted my brakes after about the first thousand miles of use. This gave them a chance to seat in. It helped a lot. I still cannot lock my wheels up on the trailer and really don't see a need to. Your brakes are more effective just before the point they lockup not when the wheels are skidding. If I remember correctly on one of the company websites, maybe Dexter, it is stated that the brakes are not designed to lock up..Just sayin...Don

Sandie

OK...thats good to know Don. I also noticed that we don't get any jerking when we stop or take off like we did with our old one. Maybe that was caused by the fact that our old ones brakes would actually stop our truck completely. Who knows. Not really sure about any of this.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Mine will not lock up under normal stopping, nor if I "press" my controller to the full on position, but they do exert a "lot" of stopping effect. However, if I pull the emergency disconnect pin on the trainer they will lock right up (don't ask why I know that:rolleyes:).

Wmnmy

I just adjusted my brakes this week and boy did it help they lock up at 6.5 so I set it to 5 on the controller and they stop great without lock up .

lwmcguir

Ours locked up before the upgrade and do easily now. Drum brakes do have a learning curve and everything needs to be right.