Question regarding New Tires for our Bighorn 3670RL

We just purchased a used 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3670RL and it currently has the TowMax tires. We are looking to replace them with new tires and would like suggestions as to what tire we should go with and basic price info.

Thank you, Steve & Linda

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Curious. What is the load range rating and the cold inflation pressure on the sidewall? Did you get the "new & improved" engineering idea of a couple of years ago to put 80 psi/load range E tires in it? Go for Goodyear G614's for that rig. It will require you to buy new 110 psi wheels to mount those tires to. Earlier models of the 3670 (like mine) came with G-rated/110 psi tires on them from the factory. And they weren't Towmax's.

scottyb

We just purchased a used 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3670RL and it currently has the TowMax tires. We are looking to replace them with new tires and would like suggestions as to what tire we should go with and basic price info.

Thank you, Steve & Linda

If it were me and I had to change wheels, I would go with 17.5" wheels and H rated tires and be done with it. If your current wheels are 110 psi, then G rated tires like the G614's

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is that possibility, too. Either way, you're going to be spending some serious cash.

One thing that seems to get swept under the carpet is that owning and maintaining one of these rigs is not inexpensive. Some folks aren't prepared for that reality.

marvmarcy

We have a 2012 Landmark (built on the same line as Big Horn). Most problems with GY614s seem to occur after three years, so I'm about to replace mine with GY114s on 17.5" wheels. They should be trouble free for 5 - 7 years.Yes, owning an rv isn't cheap but is usually much cheaper than a s&b house. I pay no taxes or other fees on both truck and trailer and only $160 annual taxes on 30 acres with full hookups.

Garypowell

Hi Linda,

i have had G614's for about year and a half. Only used the original tires to bring the rig home To FL from VA.

On the inside of each rim there will a number that tells you the rating of the rim. My guess is you'll find your rims are 110 PSI.

Tread it tires (who HL) gets their rims from will also tell you the rating on the tire if you send them a picture of the wheel.

I got my tires at Discount Tires in Rockledge by Lowes. Great people but they did not know about valve stem ratings and could only fill my tires to 80 Psi as this was the shop limit. So after they put them on I had to pump them up the rest of the way.

Paid $1,600 and change.

You'll have to get a new air pump too.

Welcome me to the fun!

Hi Gary,

We were over to the storage unit yesterday .. we sold our TT and had to finalize everything with the new buyers. We were going to stop and say hi but it was getting late and we had an appointment to make in Orlando. We just found out Friday that our Bighorn has the TowMax tires and we are now concerned about it traveling from MI to FL on those tires.... not sure what to do. Steve would like to get the unit here and make the arrangements for the tires. The information you provided about Discount Tires is great news... Thank you so much!!

Garypowell

Linda,

We'll be there in the AM packing the RV and turning on the frig....no specific time but probably earlly. Leaving Tuesday about 1 PM if you have any questions before we leave....but you can always call while we are on the road.

As long as the tires on the rig "look good" and it is empty you are probably OK as long as the tow guy does not go over 70.....the problem is time is money to him.

To expand on Discount Tire....when I had the tires put on I saw they put on a rubber valve stem. I stopped them and said I needed metal. They said they had them but they were only rated to 80 PSI and ones rated higher would not fit on the rim. So I stopped the job, called Tredit Tire and they helped me understand any standard metal valve Stem rated for 110 pounds would fit in the rim.

So I called around and found a local place that sold them. Bought the 4 I needed and returned to DT. When I handed them the stems they said "we have these....but they are not rated for 110". We looked them up on their website and they were rated for 110....so a lot of messing around because they really did not know what they were doing. They were nice about it.....and I guess in retrospect they are a "car tire store".....

The other thing, I had mentioned, is their shop air only goes up to 80 PSI for safety reasons. So I had to haul out my little pump and got them up to 100 after about 1.5 hours work. This is why I mentioned you need a better tire pump. I bought a Viar 450 for about $300 or just a little more and it takes them up to 110 in no time.

Best,

jbeletti

Linda,

If it were me, I would determine the rating of my wheels. If they are rated for load range G tires, I would go with the Goodyear G614 load range G. My guess is that your wheels will be rated for them.

If however, you find your wheels rated for only load range E tires, then I would buy new tires and rims that are uprated. At that point, I'd buy 17.5" wheels and Goodyear G114 load range H tires.

One aftermarket seller of tires and wheels (Trailer Tires and Wheels) is offering Heartlanders a special on 17.5" wheel and tire upgrades. See their special and specials from other vendors here. All Heartlanders can take advantage of all those specials.