ram 3500 w/o fifth wheel prep

gbagamer

I am looking to buy a ram 3500, but the window sticker doesn't list the 5th wheel prep. Is this something I can/should have the dealer do, or is there a cheaper after market option to install?

jnbhobe

Dodges 5th wheel setup is a Hokie thing make sure you know what you are getting before you buy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking at new trucks lately.
When I looked at the Ram the first thing that came to mind when I looked in the bed was "what were they thinking?"
I know there are plenty of Ram owners that are happy with their setup, but it's not for me.
I would check out Curt Hitches for products available for aftermarket installation.
They do not sell retail, but you can get some info there.

Peace
Dave

Bohemian

I like the Ram 5th wheel prep idea. I plan on getting a Ram and getting the matching, removable B&W hitch. Easy in, easy out.

dbbls59

It probably be cheaper to have a hitch store install the hitch and whatever mount it required.

danemayer

Our 2014 Ram came with the hitch prep, including the frame. The frame does look a little kludgie, but our Hensley hitch dropped right into place. I haven't tried it, but from what I was told, with the hitch removed from the frame, the frame can be popped right out of the bed by swinging 2 levers. I probably could have saved $200 by having standard rails installed, but they don't provide any easy way to get full use of the bed.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have the 2014 Ram 3500 drw with the puck system. At the time of purchase (1st of April 2014), B&W hadn't developed a base that would fit the puck system but would work with the center ball which we went with. Love the system in that it has no rails and e-z to take out. Keep in mind that this is not a goose neck setup but looks like the regular 5th wheel hitch with the 4 leg braces, can be broke down into 2 pieces to take out and is rated 20K.

Jim.Allison

I went with a Curt, they had excellent directions, I studied it and watched youtube videos until I knew what to expect. a few wrenches and a torque wrench is all I needed, I did it myself and it was easy. AND I know it is in there correctly. I need the exercise, the DW calls it "truck yoga."

hoefler

Purchased my new Ram DRW with the prep. Dealer included the 25K fifthwheel hitch and frame in the deal. Towed with it 2 weeks ago, easy in and easy out of the bed.

EPaulikonis

I also just purchased a 2014 Ram 3500 dually w/the puck system. I didn't want to pay for the factory installed hitch option because the delaer couldn't provide any specifics other than 20K capacity. Wasn't about to pay good money for something I couldn't get information on prior to purchase.

I opted to buy an ISR Pro Series 20K hitch and it required an additional frame assembly that mounts into the puck system to provide a standard rail system. I liked the ISR Pro becuase it has one single jaw that wraps completely around the kingpin during hookup. No slop and easy to install and operate. Best of luck on your purchase.

'Lil Guy'

Dodges 5th wheel setup is a Hokie thing make sure you know what you are getting before you buy
What is hokie about their puck setup? I just bought a 14 Ram 2500CTD with the prep. I've looked at some installs on you tube and it doesn't seem hokie to me. Mater of fact they are easy in and out and seem to tie down solidly. However, I'm new at this and am in the process of looking at some of the lighter weight 5th wheels. Can you tell me exactly what is wrong with the Ram prep. Is this something I should be concerned about? Thanks in advance.

jnbhobe

From what I've heard it takes another adapter on top of the picture frame to make it compatible with the hitches with pucks that are on the market.

'Lil Guy'

Thanks, I feel better now. Not the same video I saw. The other video showed install and removal. Looked really nice. Having the short bed, I think I can use a slider also. I'll be at a rally next month and will have the chance to check out a bunch of TV's up close.