Rear Frame Use

teasac69

Noticed the rear most section of the lower frame has bolt holes in it and guessing that is for bolting on a hitch bar??? wanting to add a receiver hitch to hold a generator when we want to go boondocking??? any reason that won't work?? anyone have any experience with building a hitch bar on that frame? I'd much rather bolt on than weld on the frame?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can't say if those brackets will be strong enough to hold any kind of weight, but reports are that the bolt on hitch is pretty flimsy.
I ground mine off and welded to the frame.

Peace
Dve

teasac69

It's intended to bolt on a 1-1/4" receiver hitch.

Thanks, I figured as much with the bolt holes symmetrical. What I want is a rack that uses two receiver hitch tubes and gives a two point support to an expanded metal tray on the rear that will hold a generator and not do a lot of bouncing and swinging. I know I can put it in the nose where they mount them but the weight is bad enough in the nose with my 3875FB (front bath) and closets and basement and nose bay and under bed etc etc etc. There is really very little storage in the back end of my trailer other than a small amount in overhead cabinets but you can't really put any weight up there. Plus, then I don't have to re-wire anything but can pull the power cord out and run it around to the rear, plug in and turn on a/c, etc. Plus, the noise and exhaust are all 30+ feet from my sleeping area. what do you think?

I have a super fabrication guy in east Texas if anyone ever needs him. He's the very best at top quality fabricating, welding, building and you can bank on his work lasting a long time. He was a top maintenance man for me for many years and I've been gone from that company for over 15 and still use him from time to time.

danemayer

Tim,

There's one thing to consider when you make modifications like this. Lippert's view is that doing so voids the warranty. Some people will note that if there's a problem, the burden is on Lippert to prove your modification caused the problem. But once the 1 year frame warranty expires, that's a moot point.

Frame problems do happen occasionally, and as a goodwill gesture, Lippert may step in and provide assistance after the warranty expires. I doubt they would do this if you modify the trailer in a way they don't support. It won't matter whether the mod caused the problem. Since they're not obligated to help, they can simply decline, pointing to the expired warranty.

Many people have gone ahead with hitch mods anyway, without having any problems. So maybe you'll be ok. But you should go into it with your eyes open.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What I want is a rack that uses two receiver hitch tubes and gives a two point support to an expanded metal tray on the rear that will hold a generator and not do a lot of bouncing and swinging.
This has been on my trailer for 5 years and carries two 2K generators, my Weber Q grill and some other miscellaneous junk,
You might want to talk to your fab guy.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359221512151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359221512151.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 49
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359221482111.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359221482111.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 52
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359221468151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359221468151.jpg