Rear Stabilizers Froze

phoenix50

Can Lippert help with this one?
Brought my trailer home from the repair shop, where she sat all winter during repair work and you can see she spent the winter outside. My problem is that the rear electric stabilizers will not extend. Appears to be frozen or locked in the retract position. You can hear the motor start to turn the screw with a clunk then stops.
Any suggestions?
"How do you start a post/thread, oops I forgot?"

trvlrerik

Possibly the screw jack is corroded in place, causing the overload switch to default to protect the motor? I would hose the screw jack down with a penetrating oil to see if that frees it up, Hopefully a possible easy fix.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with Erik. It sounds as if it's corroded. I don't have the powered jacks but I'm guessing there's a manual override/alternative? I like PB Blaster but use a good lubricant and try to break it free manually to save wear & tear on the motor/gearbox. When it does free up, run the jacks up and down as much as you can to clean off the acme threaded rod. Then use a good lithium spray.

Jimmy

PB Penetrating Catalyst

The world famous PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst is more than just great. PB quickly breaks loose surface tension rust and corrosion by creeping up, around and in to hard-to-reach cavities. It's ideal for brake, exhaust and suspension system jobs. Plus, lubricating film remains on parts to help prevent further rusting.
  • A true penetrant
  • Formulated in 1957
  • Rust inhibitor
  • Breaks loose surface tension of rust/frozen parts
  • Much higher flashpoint ** 152F
  • Non-evaporating lubricant
  • Saves time & money by ensuring user will not have to burn off or drill out nuts & bolts or other expensive & time consuming means of repairs

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I just had the same problem and it was water entering the rear of the motor. I squeezed the rubber cover on the back side of the motor and seen drops of water coming out around the wire entry. I removed the motor ,took apart dryed it out and sanded ,cleaned the armature. It is now working fine but mine sounded like yours wanted to run but wouldn't move the jacks. The wire entry point looked fairly tight but is the only place that I could see where water could enter. There is also a plastic cap on the rear of motor that had come off which allowed the water to enter inside of motor after the rubber sleeve got enough water in there to reach the shaft......Kenny

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I agree with Erik. It sounds as if it's corroded. I don't have the powered jacks but I'm guessing there's a manual override/alternative? I like PB Blaster but use a good lubricant and try to break it free manually to save wear & tear on the motor/gearbox. When it does free up, run the jacks up and down as much as you can to clean off the acme threaded rod. Then use a good lithium spray.

On the opposite from the motor, there is a place to connect a manual crank rod (should have come with trailer).
View attachment 13342

bobowill

I had the same problem with my jacks. I used the manual crank rod to get it unstuck then lubricated the jack screw, no problem since then.