Recent articles about online safety

patrick1945

Have stated that log in names and passwords from one site to another should not be the same. They have said that a login should not include your name and the passwords should have numbers, symbols and letters AND that they should be changed every 60-90 days. I can change everything but the log in name and here they say that IS FOR LIFE UNLESS YOU HAVE A SERIOUS REASON". Well that is a serious reason. If that is not doable here what does one do?

DuaneG

There really is no reason to change the user name if you change the password often.

I use a program called keepass to store all user names and passwords. I use crazy long passwords that the program generates randomly which are not easily hacked. I store a copy of the program and password database on my computer, phone and in a safe. When I update passwords I change all copies so they are updated and I give the file a name with the current date in it so I can verify which file is newest. I have one complex password to open this file that gives me access to all user names and accounts I have saved and each one is different. Within this program you can save the url and automatically open it and then copy and paste user names and passwords as needed.

This is one of the safest ways. Back ups are real important and if one is stolen or compromised it would give me time to change all the passwords and recreate the database before anyone had a chance to compromise any accounts.

Between personal and work accounts I have hundreds of user names and passwords and this has been proven very effective and I can access this database from my phone if needed.

danemayer

Some online activity introduces high levels of risk; access to online banking or credit cards for example.

Forum membership is pretty low risk. Suppose someone cracked your userid/password. What's the worst that could happen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD