Recommendations for adapting a PDI when I won't have water service?

kdubinwa

So I'm flying out to Pete's RV next Wednesday to perform a PDI on my new 3160EL. Right after that I'm headed out of the country for a month so this is my only chance to uncover any issues at the dealer and get them fixed while I am gone. When I return I'll get the trailer delivered out west early March.

As fate would have it... the weather will be 22F next week so it may not be practical to have the 5th wheel hooked up to water all day in the dealer's lot and then have it re-winterized. How would you adapt your PDI for the water and plumbing systems with this constraint? I assume I can still test dump valves, etc but if there are other things I can look for I don't want to miss the opportunity to inspect.

Thanks
Kurt

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
No way to do a good PDI without the water hooked up. You want to operate everything, have the basement wall down to look at all the water connections behind the UDC, look for water leaks under every sink, etc... Plus you want to operate your blank tank flush and ice maker if it is equipped. Paying $150.00 to re-winterize it is a small price to pay to know that you have no leaks, or to get the leaks fixed while you are out of country. I would NEVER recommend to anyone to take delivery of any RV without a thorough and complete PDI. No exceptions.

Rod

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
You don't say which model you're getting but if it's a higher end model at 22* there's no reason the FW tank shouldn't have water on board as long as the furnace is running and/or you have the yeti pkg. At that temp we have no issues with our Bighorn. Be a good test of systems. The dealer shouldn't squawk about winterizing the rig afterward. Or like others say have the rig stationed in a service bay with water available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdubinwa

Thanks all for your input and encouragement to push back. I have required water service and re-winterization during my inspection visit. I'll update you on how things go with my request and the inspection next week.

BTW I have dual pane/Yeti etc so a little cold weather will be good test grounds.

Many thanks to those who have contributed to various PDI lists and provided advice. It has been most helpful.

brianlajoie

I bought my trailer from Pete's too. There is no reason not to test the water systems. It's not like you are filling up the tanks (except the hot water tank). There is also a fresh water drain. Use the opportunity to re-winterize as an education tool. To winterize our trailer is so simple after the first time you do it. All it takes is 2 gallons of RV antifreeze and 2 people. If you have an outside shower, be sure to test it. We found a fitting that wasn't tight.

kdubinwa

Very pleased with the response I received from the Indiana location service manager for Pete's RV. They will have trailer outside with everything hooked up (including water) for my inspection visit on Thursday. They will re-winterize after I am done. Can't beat that for service.

Pete's techs are performing their local PDI now.

I'm also told that my 3160EL went through Heartland's internal quality control audit bay after being built the week of Jan 11th.

Hopefully any remaining gremlins will show themselves this week.

sengli

I know of all of the dealers, I have visited in our area. Petes sales manager had told me that they wont buy any more coaches from heartland w/o them being run thru the extra QC step. They just dont have the time to hassle with a lot of common issue's on the new rigs. So they just make sure the factory double checks the new units before they arrive.

Gaffer

You should fill all the tanks.
I bought my trailer from Pete's too. There is no reason not to test the water systems. It's not like you are filling up the tanks (except the hot water tank). There is also a fresh water drain. Use the opportunity to re-winterize as an education tool. To winterize our trailer is so simple after the first time you do it. All it takes is 2 gallons of RV antifreeze and 2 people. If you have an outside shower, be sure to test it. We found a fitting that wasn't tight.

kdubinwa

I know of all of the dealers, I have visited in our area. Petes sales manager had told me that they wont buy any more coaches from heartland w/o them being run thru the extra QC step. They just dont have the time to hassle with a lot of common issue's on the new rigs. So they just make sure the factory double checks the new units before they arrive.

I was told the same and that Pete's pays Heartland for this arrangement.

- - - Updated - - -

You should fill all the tanks.

What should I be looking for when filling all the tanks versus just adding sufficient water to operate heat pads, black tank flush and all gate valves?