Refriderator Noise

iaflatlander

My Norcold fridge, model 611 is periodically making a chirping or barking sound. Actually sounds like a small dog (no, really). Usually a series of 5 to 7 yips. The sound is coming from the back of the unit, somewhere behind the exterior panel. Any thoughts?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
This might be a dumb question, but have you removed the vent panels behind the refer? Maybe something is actually trapped back there. At least, I would start by looking back there. Trace

iaflatlander

Reasonable question. My wife and I first thought it was an unfamiliar bird chirping. That is until it followed us through three states. I pulled the panel thinking it was a trapped frog. Nope, something "mechanical". Has me stumped.

wdk450

I am guessing your rig is about a 2012 model from your join date. That's a little young to have ammonia refrigeration problems, but not unheard of. The slide mounted refrigs have cooling fans activated by an outside thermostat installed. Could any foreign debris be caught in those fans? Since ammonia adsorbsion refrigeration involves the boiling and percolation of the refrigerant, maybe you are hearing these noises, but most times these refrigerators are pretty much silent except for the propane flame when you run them on propane power.
It might be worthwhile to call the manufacturer's service phone number (we have them listed on the left side of the website Portal page), and maybe see if they have a servicer in your area. Last question I forgot - Does it cool O.K. in both refrig and freezer?

I would check the 3rd bullet point under "Testing the Cooling Unit" at this website: http://www.rvrefrigerator.net/Troubleshooting.htm

Crumgater

I think I've heard that chirp before... not regularly, though. I thought it sounded like a bubble going around the coils... since it was random and rare, we ignored it. :)

iaflatlander

Yes, it is a 2012. It's still cooling well so I guess we will wait and see what happens. Thanks all for the ideas

Harry1

If your refrig is located in a slideout you will have a fan on the condensor coil. These are small "pancake" type fans that are controlled by a thermostat that's attached to the condensor fins. Depending on size of fridge, you may have 1 or 2 fans. They will come on automatically from their thermostat mentioned above. The temp setting is fixed and probably in the range of 125 to 130 degrees F before they come on. There are no other moving parts with an ammonia fridge. Could be why you only hear it periodically. The fan has to be running to hear if that's the problem. Remove the outside panel at the top and you should be able to put a jumper wire across the thermostat to run the fan.